Grug_ scratches his head at the umpiring last night....

Remove this Banner Ad

Grug_

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully Grug_ is not the only one. Can't remember seeing a home side being comprehensively favoured as Adelaide last night. Some of the decisions were downright appalling and if I were a Richmond supporter I'd be very annoyed. Little doubt that the umpires cost the Tigers the game.

But what can be done to stop home town biases? Each week free kick counts heavily slant in favour of home teams. It was well publicised last year how West Coast and Adelaide both benefited from favourable free kicks playing at home versus playing away.

Does anyone have any idea how the AFL can rectify this problem before it impacts the integrity of the competition?

Hopefully Grug_ is not the only one. Can't remember seeing a home side being comprehensively favoured as Adelaide last night. Some of the decisions were downright appalling and if I were a Richmond supporter I'd be very annoyed. Little doubt that the umpires cost the Tigers the game.

But what can be done to stop home town biases? Each week free kick counts heavily slant in favour of home teams. It was well publicised last year how West Coast and Adelaide both benefited from favourable free kicks playing at home versus playing away.

Does anyone have any idea how the AFL can rectify this problem before it impacts the integrity of the competition?
I don't think you can stop it, just adjust your expectations to avoid frustration.

One of the few games a 28-14 free count was entirely justified.

Adelaide were repeatedly first to the ball and Richmond were sloppy and didn't get low enough in their tackles in the last quarter. The more the pressure came on from a scoreboard perspective, the more the Tigers made basic footy mistakes in the last quarter. Very out of character for the Tigers over the past two years.

anyone that quotes their username is a thread title and or OP on the main board should be permanently banned

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got the rub of the green in the GF. It all evens out over the course of the season I guess.
We were sloppy last night and undisciplined. Crows were the better side with two men down and still ran out the game better.
To answer the question...I already have...it evens out over the whole season.

Or refers to themselves in the 3rd person.
george+upset.jpg

This isnt an issue exclusive to Adelaide or West Coast.

It is in most games where the home team has a clear and large majority of spectators.

Unfortunately the AFL have done * all to address it. At least publically. Which they can't. So there is that.

There were a few that we got that coulda been 50/50 that went to the crows but by and large the calls were there (biased i know).

But you can also point out frees we didnt get like Houlis deliberate, Rance's throw of Jenkins and Martins tunnel. Can't be a genuine overblown conspiracy.

Richmond seemed to get done for A LOT of holds. Maybe they were overdoing their pressure. They seemed to be very ill disciplined and didnt really learn.

An example of a player who did stop giving away frees was Rance . Second half he didnt go so badly in the 1v1 contest. He clearly adapted. Most Tigers didnt.

At the end of the day you can sit there and say Tigers were fine and the umps cost them, in which case you learn nothing, or you see you got smashed in the contested ball and couldnt outrun a team down 2 rotations in the last qtr and go "hang on, we got issues". Lets fix those issues.

6 goals is generally a bit much to blame umps directly . Something else has to to wrong. Like Astbury's foot. And a whole lot of passengers who dont go for the hard ball.

This isnt an issue exclusive to Adelaide or West Coast.

It is in most games where the home team has a clear and large majority of spectators.

Unfortunately the AFL have done glory be all to address it. At least publically. Which they can't. So there is that.

There were a few that we got that coulda been 50/50 that went to the crows but by and large the calls were there (biased i know).

But you can also point out frees we didnt get like Houlis deliberate, Rance's throw of Jenkins and Martins tunnel. Can't be a genuine overblown conspiracy.

Richmond seemed to get done for A LOT of holds. Maybe they were overdoing their pressure. They seemed to be very ill disciplined and didnt really learn.

An example of a player who did stop giving away frees was Rance . Second half he didnt go so badly in the 1v1 contest. He clearly adapted. Most Tigers didnt.

At the end of the day you can sit there and say Tigers were fine and the umps cost them, in which case you learn nothing, or you see you got smashed in the contested ball and couldnt outrun a team down 2 rotations in the last qtr and go "hang on, we got issues". Lets fix those issues.

6 goals is generally a bit much to blame umps directly . Something else has to to wrong. Like Astbury's foot. And a whole lot of passengers who dont go for the hard ball.

No arguing but “frees for” is included in the contested ball stats.

No arguing but “frees for” is included in the contested ball stats.

48 differential down to 34 if you want to say that every extra adelaide free kick was wrong.

I know you arent saying that at all but thats worst case.

Its still an indictment on the tigers.

48 differential down to 34 if you want to say that every extra adelaide free kick was wrong.

I know you arent saying that at all but thats worst case.

Its still an indictment on the tigers.
It’s a stupid stat ...that’s all I am saying. Ground ball gets is a much better reflection of intent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back