Media Media Thread Heritage Listings

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello Sweet FA,

It's been established for more than a while now that the media plays a significant role in the culture of the league today. Much of the most thought provoking, insightful, controversial, humorous posts are presented in the media. Recently I've been thinking that for something that plays such a big part in the Sweet FA, there is little to no official recognition for truly great media contributions. Great media threads of the past seldom get mentioned today and often end up buried in the past. So I came up with a simple idea acknowledge the cream of the crop when it comes to media in the history of the Sweet FA. The process can be summarised as follows:

1. open nominations by the Sweet FA public
2. committee comes up with a short-list
3. open vote to determine the best media threads across history for heritage listing

This process could be carried out over a 3 week period. After a short-list is made we'll have a ceremony with write ups done and open the voting, for threads that are successfully heritage listed I'll change the prefix to 'Certified Legendary Thread' and link it in a thread in the archives so that they may always be recognised. Given we're at the stage of the season where activity usually dips a bit hopefully it's something that will generate a bit of engagement, especially from the league's veterans. Also seeing it's a milestone season it would be nice to have a look back on some of the classic threads of the past and appreciate great media contributions.

So the initial nomination process would be very simple, it's just a case of providing the link to a thread, mentioning the major contributors, writing a paragraph of two to provide a bit of context and arguments to support the thread was significant or iconic in Sweet FA history and using #heritagemedia simply for ease of tracking them. All nominations will be considered if these a provided.

If this concept is successful I'll look at doing this every few seasons. We'll see how go.

Broken's SweetRankings (Season 20)
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...6-team-of-year-full-rankings-updated.1105831/

This fantastic rankings thread was constructed by the legendary Broken who devised a most comprehensive a measurable method to rank the best Qooty players in the league. His OP states that "Past rankings systems seem to have focused on personal opinion, bias, star signs or romantic influences and have lacked a more measurable way of ranking players in the SFA - at least from the rankings that we researched to back up our argument. The SweetFA SweetRankings will factor in match performance, match thread input and a number of other weighted measurables to hopefully provide the fairest and most comprehensive SFA player rankings yet! Each weeks rankings should be released half way through each week* and will include the top ranked players for the season to date, the best ranked player of the week and, hopefully, the best ranked clubs to date and team of the week." This thread had everything you could ask for in terms of a weekly Qooty rankings thread - the best player for the week, team of the week, individual rankings, team rankings all calculated by a secret algorithm Broken devised himself that factored weighted inputs including match performance, match thread contributions, and various other factors including leadership positions. It was comprehensive, well researched, universally enjoyed and well presented with great graphics work to top it off. It's one thing to devise a brilliant idea, another to actually bring it into being and keep it going for the entirety of the season. This is a monumental effort by Broken and a must read for any Qooty purist, it remains to date the greatest thread I have seen in my time in the Sweet FA.

#heritagemedia

$WEET FA $ALARIES

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/weet-fa-alaries-whats-your-worth.1090230/

Teamed up with Beng/Bengwatkins and MD/Moondog21/Son of God/Nakia. Proposed a formula for a salary cap and how it could work. Then proceeded to assign a theoretical salary to every single player in the game. Got people talking BIG TIME and included every player in the league. Beautiful graphics.

Soggy dropped off but Beng and I kept this going for 3 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media Management of a coup:

1) Abdication - The Only Way

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/abdication-the-only-way.1010995/

Halfway through the season. Half opinion piece, half 'inside word' on disharmony, half getting the league interested in a takeover. Yes, that's 1.5 times the fun.

This media piece was a talking point for the remainder of the season and put huge pressure on the Royals' captain Easty.

2) Royals Skipper Stands Down

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/east-2-west-royals-skipper-stands-down.1019368/

A breaking news story announcing that Easty had stood down at the end of the season and that Wise Guy Sam was going to be the new captain, with me joining the club. We orchestrated a ballot knowing WGS had the numbers.

3) Royal History Rewritten

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/royal-history-rewritten.1081410/

WGS was the front because of his popularity. That's how we ensured the Royals coup got through. A lot later, once we were settled in, I exposed the truth on what really happened at the Royals and how I was pulling strings all along, before becoming captain as always planned.

Winner.

$WEET FA $ALARIES

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/weet-fa-alaries-whats-your-worth.1090230/

Teamed up with Beng/Bengwatkins and MD/Moondog21/Son of God/Nakia. Proposed a formula for a salary cap and how it could work. Then proceeded to assign a theoretical salary to every single player in the game. Got people talking BIG TIME and included every player in the league. Beautiful graphics.

Soggy dropped off but Beng and I kept this going for 3 seasons.

Winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back