Macintosh
Plowman
OBrien
Tabener
Clurey
Thurlow
Hutchings

Sure I have missed a few

Vlastuin only just scrapes into the very good tier and Atkins is just a player .

1. Joe Daniher - AA best & fairest winning key forward gets a pass for his early season slump
2. Brodie Grundy - is now in the conversation for best ruck in the game. Very dominant tap ruck and acts as an extra midfielder too.
3. Ollie Wines - has been a great player since day dot and now looks like breaking into the game's top echelon of midfielders
4. Jack Macrae - growing more and more with every game he plays. Superb attacking midfielder.
5. Lachie Whitfield - one of the premier wingmen of the competition.
6. Dane Rampe - mature-ager who has still succeeded in becoming an All-Australian stopper despite only being 189cm.
7. Jack Viney - very consistent inside mid whose ceiling has been prevented by injury
8. Jake Stringer - can't forget his AA form.
9. Zach Williams - has become a very good rebounding defender in the last two and a bit years
10. Lachie Hunter - evergrowing attacking outside mid

1. Joe Daniher - AA best & fairest winning key forward gets a pass for his early season slump
2. Brodie Grundy - is now in the conversation for best ruck in the game. Very dominant tap ruck and acts as an extra midfielder too.
3. Ollie Wines - has been a great player since day dot and now looks like breaking into the game's top echelon of midfielders
4. Jack Macrae - growing more and more with every game he plays. Superb attacking midfielder.
5. Lachie Whitfield - one of the premier wingmen of the competition.
6. Dane Rampe - mature-ager who has still succeeded in becoming an All-Australian stopper despite only being 189cm.
7. Jack Viney - very consistent inside mid whose ceiling has been prevented by injury
8. Jake Stringer - can't forget his AA form.
9. Zach Williams - has become a very good rebounding defender in the last two and a bit years
10. Lachie Hunter - evergrowing attacking outside mid
Was only including players born 1994. So Rampe was not considered

Weitering is younger yet doesnt get a free pass. Danniher was truly awful on the weekend.

Grundy is absolutely miles ahead of him.

Id put Hunter ahead of Stringer too.
Stringer is actually a sad case.
So much talent, but even the change of clubs does not seem to have instilled the required work ethic. He could be such a good player if he dedicated himself.

Stringer is actually a sad case.
So much talent, but even the change of clubs does not seem to have instilled the required work ethic. He could be such a good player if he dedicated himself.

If Bevo couldnt motivate him then no-one could. Not even Clarko.

Zero chance of happening at a club which used its players as pin cushions and then paid them hundreds of thousands on the sly in compensation just for hanging around.

Weitering is younger yet doesnt get a free pass. Danniher was truly awful on the weekend.

Weitering didn't win his clubs b&f or make the AA team last year and Daniher did. That's why he gets a pass for now.

It's 3 games! Grundy maybe, he's now a consistently good ruck but I'd take a key forward in a form slump.

Edited: Yep, I'd take Hunter over Stringer. Stringer the higher ceiling if he sorts himself out but Hunter is a good solid wing/half back with skills.

Last edited:
It's 3 games! Grundy maybe, he's now a consistently good ruck but I'd take a key forward in a form slump. Hunter no, good player but not near the level Daniher has been last year. Stringer gosh no, he's now been slumping for 2 years and 3 games.

3 games this year, but Grundy was a developed ruckman at 20 and that is VERY young. Most are well in to their 20s before they start to come good.

And Grundy has stayed good as well, despite his team's continued lack of wins.

And Danniher has always been hit and miss. At times he looks as good as any other forward in the comp, but at other times he is about as useful in the forward line as Josh Gibson was.

It's 3 games! Grundy maybe, he's now a consistently good ruck but I'd take a key forward in a form slump. Hunter no, good player but not near the level Daniher has been last year. Stringer gosh no, he's now been slumping for 2 years and 3 games.
Are you inferring that someone ranked Hunter ahead of Daniher?

Clearly it was only in reference to Hunter now being ahead of Stringer.

3 games this year, but Grundy was a developed ruckman at 20 and that is VERY young. Most are well in to their 20s before they start to come good.

And Grundy has stayed good as well, despite his team's continued lack of wins.

And Danniher has always been hit and miss. At times he looks as good as any other forward in the comp, but at other times he is about as useful in the forward line as Josh Gibson was.
Grundy is very good and probably can still get better. That said, I think his form has gone up and down at times but like most rucks as long as you don't get smashed it can go a bit unnoticed. Statistically his hit out win % is 54% which is 6th in the comp and his hit outs to advantage are very good. He follows up and gets a good amount of the ball and provides the extra mid at the clearances but in some combination of those numbers Jacobs, McEvoy, Martin, Witts, Bellchambers, Nankervis, Sinclair are all around that mark.

Compare those names with the list of guys who can kick 65 goals in a season and it's not even close. A 3rd round pick gets you Nankervis, Witts or Martin and you can't do that for a key forward.

Game to game Daniher is inconsistent but year to year he's made steady improvement. This might be the year he levels off or regresses a little but I'd be confident he can be a regular 50+ goals a year guy. And hey, if it can't and really loses his way up forward the nice bit of insurance is I think Daniher would either be close to as good if not better than Grundy as a ruckman!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vlastuin only just scrapes into the very good tier and Atkins is just a player .

No lol

Vlastuin is easily in the very good tier

He'd need to be AA in his position to fit in with the other group. Midsize defenders who don't offer run and carry aren't exactly high value commodities in this league.

will go very close to AA this year if he stays fit, is an absolute gun in his position

Would require him stepping up to a Hibberd/Shaw like level. I just don't see it happening.

better actual defender than both of them, isnt the same rebounder admittedly but hes not poor in that regard

reads the game as well as anyone, other teams know how important he is which led to GWS putting a ton of work into him in the PF after he was near BOG in the QF

better actual defender than both of them, isnt the same rebounder admittedly but hes not poor in that regard

reads the game as well as anyone, other teams know how important he is which led to GWS putting a ton of work into him in the PF after he was near BOG in the QF

No he's not he rarely takes a good forward.

No he's not he rarely takes a good forward.

Shaw and hibberd do?

I suggest you watch a game of ours, hes a fantastic defender

You said he's better in that area than Shaw and Hibberd I disagree.

Vlastuin is a solid player who's name belongs alongside Mcintosh, Plowman, Atkins not Daniher, Wines and Macrae.

Much better than the 3 you lumped him with, as i said actually watch a game and then comment

Integral part of our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back