MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldnt be an issue if the GF wasnt at the home ground of rival clubs. What dont you get about that?

If the ground rotated year to year then there would be no issue.

There is a clear advantage to Melbourne sides. So long as there is some there should be a correction for interstate sides. Why is that hard to understand?

The MCG on grand final day is effectively a neutral venue, 50/50 support, 2 best sides going at it so home ground isn't an issue. Some clubs get advantages throughout the season that mean they are a better chance of actually making the grand final in the first place but no-one wants to discuss that. Some of those things (home ground advantage) are just part of the deal, other things like Academies are inequalities designed to ensure clubs in certain markets don't bottom out and are perennial contenders.

It can easily happen though

I mean Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn all have around 50 AFL home games between them at the venue, with Geelong having an additional 5 games. If at least 24 of those games are played against non-Victorian opponents then that is going to be 3 games at the MCG on average for non-Victorian clubs.

Geelong only have home games at the G when they play other Vic clubs. If they had to play interstate sides at the G they would just play 11 home games at Geelong.

That leaves 4 MCG clubs and 8 interstate sides. So every MCG club would have to host every interstate side every year for them to get to that magical 4 games figure. Never gonna happen.

Dimensions dont need to match G to host a GF.

Capacity argument has been debunked ad nauseum.

State gov being broke precludes them hosting a GF how?
Never said they did that’s more to help you be able to win on the g

Afl aren’t moving the grand final away from 100k seats

Pretty simple if south Australia or Western Australia had given the afl a proposal they liked aka $ and upgraded stadium you would be having the grand final you both didn’t and the vic government did as I said money talks bullshit walks Victorian government has just bankrolled a big future for the comp

The NFL says hi.

Just consider if a GF was held at the Adelaide Oval - you don't have to worry about MCC or AFL members - 50k stadium for all competing club fans. Can charge top $ like the NFL and probably still generate more cash than a GF at the G.

Ok, I'll bite. AFL members are counted in the membership numbers of their nominated club, so officially they are club members. Take out the MCC reserve (which still has more than enough personally invested fans on GF Day, but whatever), which is roughly 22.5k and you're left with 77.5k. That is still a fair sight more than Perth or Adelaide (Adelaide Oval also has a members reserve too if I'm not mistaken?).

I don’t mind that the GF is staying at the G, never really thought it would move.
This deal apparently means millions of dollars extra for all the Victorian clubs, each year.
I take it that MCG tenants like Melbourne and Hawthorn that currently sell their home games interstate won’t have to do this anymore? Freo play Melbourne in Darwin this year, in a Melbourne home game that should be at the G.
Pretty simple, the AFL shouldn’t let MCG tenants sell home games against non Victorian sides.

This still won’t lead to rivers of gold for tenant clubs. If anything the increased capacity will lead to less reserved seat purchases and also make the poorer drawing fixtures even less financially viable.

I'm not unhappy the GF it is at the G, just want to see how the non-Victorian sides gain from this.

What exactly do you want from it? More actual matches on the ground per year I get, but what else is there?

Focus more on the US.
Europeans are weird.

Yes, I hate how the Rose Bowl is always in USC and UCLA's home town. :thumbsdown:

I'm interested in the mechanics of the redevelopment. The GSS side would be far more difficult to rebuild surely just due to equipment access - would it be demolished right down to Brunton Ave or would that very bottom level be spared?

I'd assume it'd need to be done from scratch, especially with the new concourse and everything else going along with it.

Also isn't the stand a single entity? Makes it hard to do partial redevelopment so do they knock it all over, make the ground 55k temporarily? Given how much member numbers have grown since the northern redevelopment its going to be intriguing.

It'd be difficult, but the Northern redevelopment is now one entity too and they built that bit by bit so I imagine it'd be the same principle (at least in the rebuild). It'd be a squeeze for big games, but what can you do.

Honestly, I've always thought the best opportunity to move the GF would've been in the GSS redevelopment years when capacity will be at 70k or below and Perth and Adelaide had newer stadiums. Give them each one and be done with it.

ahh, who do you think paid for AO and Optus Stadium? Certainly wasn't the clubs. No way any AFL club gets access to cheap capital like state governments.
If the wa government really wanted the grand final why not build 30k more seats instead of a bunch of useless lights. And actually give the afl something worth leaving for

I don’t mind that the GF is staying at the G, never really thought it would move.
This deal apparently means millions of dollars extra for all the Victorian clubs, each year.
I take it that MCG tenants like Melbourne and Hawthorn that currently sell their home games interstate won’t have to do this anymore? Freo play Melbourne in Darwin this year, in a Melbourne home game that should be at the G.
Pretty simple, the AFL shouldn’t let MCG tenants sell home games against non Victorian sides.

I agree we should stop selling games to the NT. Hopefully won't have to do it for too much longer.

Edit - but I don't think this has anything to do with extra money to clubs, just upgrading the venue.

It'd be difficult, but the Northern redevelopment is now one entity too and they built that bit by bit so I imagine it'd be the same principle (at least in the rebuild). It'd be a squeeze for big games, but what can you do.

Honestly, I've always thought the best opportunity to move the GF would've been in the GSS redevelopment years when capacity will be at 70k or below and Perth and Adelaide had newer stadiums. Give them each one and be done with it.
Before the Northern stand was built, there was 3 seperate stands. Not sure if the GSS was designed to be demolished in parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously not bright - do Adelaide and Perth have the population of Melbourne? A 51k stadium for a city with population of 1.5m against a stadium of 100k for a city with a population of 4m - yeh do the calculations - maths not your strong point.

I'm not unhappy the GF it is at the G, just want to see how the non-Victorian sides gain from this.

MCG has been pulling over 100k since the 50s when Melbourne's population was comparable to Perth's and Adelaide's in 2018.

If the wa government really wanted the grand final why not build 30k more seats instead of a bunch of useless lights. And actually give the afl something worth leaving for
why would they? Perth and Adelaide have far smaller populations than Melbourne. Having a 100k capacity stadium on the chance one of the teams may make a grand final does not make any economic sense at all. My comment before is pointing out the the state government in SA and WA did pay for the stadiums. As far as this announcement goes, it's hardly surprising.

why would they? Perth and Adelaide have far smaller populations than Melbourne. Having a 100k capacity stadium on the chance one of the teams may make a grand final does not make any economic sense at all. My comment before is pointing out the the state government in SA and WA did pay for the stadiums. As far as this announcement goes, it's hardly surprising.
Then how do they expect to host the grand final with that kind of capacity

Except for the advertising revenue that the game generates, not to mention the extra 40 000 tickets sold etc. Keep your head in the sand.

The AFL loses hundreds of millions of dollars keeping the Grand Final at the MCG.

Ticket sales are chump change against all that foregone growth.

It doesn't need to be 100,000.

50,000 is fine.

It's about making the game actually continent-wide, and catalysing growth that only actions, not money, can buy.

No one in Brisbane is going to seriously get behind football when the show is not being brought to town.
They get behind league with the grand final of that always being in Sydney at the same ground

50k is not enough which would be even less if you consider ppl with stadium memberships. Only way the 50k is viable is if you put ticket prices to super bowl style inflation and then no common fan would be able to attend at all

It doesn't need to be 100,000.

50,000 is fine.

It's about making the game actually continent-wide, and catalysing growth that only actions, not money, can buy.

No one in Brisbane is going to seriously get behind football when the show is not being brought to town.

Firstly 50k is not fine.

Secondly you are not reading my post in the context of the post I was replying to.

They don't expect to host a grand final.
All the bitching in this thread says otherwise

They expect to host the grand final for nothing and also expect the vic government to pay for them as well

Guess Richmond should be waiting for wa governments cheque in the mail so we can build a new grand stand at punt road

Remove this Banner Ad

Back