List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are mature age rookies on the same payments as 18 year old draftees?

Yes.

Any idea on what would MDB have been on when he was drafted in 2016?

It depends. Players who have already been on a list can specific contract terms entering the draft, e.g. minimum contract amounts and lengths, though it is not necessary. I suspect MDB probably didn't, so he would've been on whatever the draftee slot contract was until he signed his extension.

Any from WS?

I've added their location in brackets and bolded the Western Sydney kids for the U18 team.

Ben KELLY (Murray) Mathew WALKER (Murray) Cameron EDWARDS (Western Sydney) Matthew McGRORY (ACT) Daniel CERNI (ACT) Maxwell BEAUMONT (ACT) Ed PERRYMAN (Riverina) Nicholas MURRAY (Murray) Guy RICHARDSON (ACT) Riley BICE (Murray) *Jack POWELL (ACT) *Riley BUDD (ACT) Jack ROWSTON (Riverina) Riley CORBETT (Riverina) Jacob KOSCHITZKE (Murray) Shaun DRISCOLL (Riverina) James PEATLING (Western Sydney) Thomas GREEN (ACT) Jeromy LUCAS (Riverina) *Tyh EVANS (Riverina) *Kieren BRIGGS (Western Sydney) Will CHANDLER (Murray) Kobe LLOYD (Murray) *William CLARK (ACT) Liam DELAHUNTY (Riverina)

Koschitzke?
I presume that he's a relative of St Kilda's Justin - he was from the Brocklesby area of the Riverina - but don't know anything for sure. Jacob is a tall, playing for Murray Bushrangers. I really don't know if he's draftable to us under the academy rules, or is just allowed to play for the academy to keep him in the pool for NSW/ACT for U18 champs (similar query on a lot of those Riverina & Murray lads).

I presume that he's a relative of St Kilda's Justin - he was from the Brocklesby area of the Riverina - but don't know anything for sure. Jacob is a tall, playing for Murray Bushrangers. I really don't know if he's draftable to us under the academy rules, or is just allowed to play for the academy to keep him in the pool for NSW/ACT for U18 champs (similar query on a lot of those Riverina & Murray lads).

At risk of generalising too much, Murray is generally out of the academy area and Riverina is generally in.

At risk of generalising too much, Murray is generally out of the academy area and Riverina is generally in.
I agree with this in general - but everything I've read indicates that Mat Walker, who's in the Murray group, remains in the GWS Academy and draftable by us. I think Jacob is not, but cannot point to anything definitive on the opposing outcomes.

I agree with this in general - but everything I've read indicates that Mat Walker, who's in the Murray group, remains in the GWS Academy and draftable by us. I think Jacob is not, but cannot point to anything definitive on the opposing outcomes.

Jacob's playing for Albury so he'd be out (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4596734/kosi-steps-into-elite-company-with-debut/). Matt is playing in the Coreen league which, going off your comment, is in (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/...ongas-hudson-garoni-make-afl-level-two-squad/). If that's right, we really did only lose the towns right on the Murray (Albury, Corowa, etc).

Some commentary on GWS Academy prospects in the U18 Division 2 Championships (about to start) http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-12/talent-managers-rate-the-best-academy-prospects

Comments by GWS Academy coach Jason Saddington

Shaun Driscoll
Midfielder
183cm/69kg
6/1/00
"There's not a lot of size about him but Shaun has good endurance and speed. He's also pretty good overhead for a smaller type of player, and he likes to float across and take intercept marks on the wing. He uses his pace and endurance to cover the ground."

Jeremy Lucas

Half-forward/midfielder
184cm/81kg
29/6/00

"Jeremy's at boarding school down in Melbourne at Xavier College and has been a half-forward/midfielder. He's a really good overhead mark for a mid-sized player and is a strong runner."

James Peatling

Forward
183cm, 71kg
21/8/00

"A clever forward with really good agility and speed. He has a bit of flair about him and he likes to kick goals, but he also demonstrates good defensive pressure at times. James is smart around goal but also can push up higher as a half-forward as well."

Guy Richardson

Half-back
184cm/75kg
12/7/00

"Guy injured his shoulder in the Academy series last year and missed the rest of the season. He's a half-back from Canberra. He has very neat skills and good speed, and really likes to set up off the half-backline. He played NEAFL on the weekend and is progressing nicely."

Matthew Walker

Forward
187cm/76kg
14/2/00

"He's a member of the NAB AFL Academy and has started the season pretty well with his TAC Cup side the Murray Bushrangers. He's a Next Generation Academy player for us. He's really lifted his work-rate and high-intensity running to play a bit more in the midfield as opposed to just forward. He possesses really good natural forward ability with strong hands and generally kicks the ball pretty well."

He's a Next Generation Academy player for us.

Guess Coreen is out of our zone if they're calling out him as a NGA member - we still have that access to the border towns.

Guess Coreen is out of our zone if they're calling out him as a NGA member - we still have that access to the border towns.
Yes, that's the first time I've noticed him described as 'NGA' rather than simply 'GWS Academy', so presumably that's the grounds upon which they have retained access (i.e. similar to North's NGA hook to Tarryn Thomas & Collingwood to Isaac Quaynor), where presumably GWS still has the whole of the previous academy zone for NGA access.

I still don't really understand how other Murray-resident players are under the GWS Academy banner for the U18 Division 2 games (e.g. Jacob Koschitzke), other than (1) they were previously listed as GWS Academy and (2) if they didn't play in Div 2 they wouldn't have much of a chance to be selected for NSW/ACT in Div 1 Championships. It has just never been explained as far as I'm aware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that's the first time I've noticed him described as 'NGA' rather than simply 'GWS Academy', so presumably that's the grounds upon which they have retained access (i.e. similar to North's NGA hook to Tarryn Thomas & Collingwood to Isaac Quaynor), where presumably GWS still has the whole of the previous academy zone for NGA access.

When I was looking up into on Walker and Koschitzke and our zone, one of the links explicitly said we retained NGA access to the removed border towns.

I still don't really understand how other Murray-resident players are under the GWS Academy banner for the U18 Division 2 games (e.g. Jacob Koschitzke), other than (1) they were previously listed as GWS Academy and (2) if they didn't play in Div 2 they wouldn't have much of a chance to be selected for NSW/ACT in Div 1 Championships. It has just never been explained as far as I'm aware.

I'm absolutely certain it's #2. They are eligible for NSW, therefore they need to play in one of the NSW feeder squads. Obviously GWS is the best fit of the two. It's similar to other non-academy eligible players playing for the academy squads even though they weren't available for drafting (Ben Davis, Elliott Himmelberg and Lachie Weller are all examples).

Jacob's playing for Albury so he'd be out (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4596734/kosi-steps-into-elite-company-with-debut/). Matt is playing in the Coreen league which, going off your comment, is in (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/...ongas-hudson-garoni-make-afl-level-two-squad/). If that's right, we really did only lose the towns right on the Murray (Albury, Corowa, etc).

Matt got cleared to Albury this season, there was talk his old club would merge with Corowa but it didn't end up happening. Between bushies and academy games I doubt he will play a game at Albury though.

Who do you guys suspect might either
1. Want to move
2. Be pushed out (delisted)

Too early to tell on some i think and also we need to see how some of the first and second years develop Shipley/Bonar/Cumming/Perryman
Do you have your eyes on anyone? What do the Hawks have left to trade? We could look at Breust if you want to get rid of him?
Griffen likely too retire
Deledio contracted but depends on his body but his early season form has been ok
Simpson/Keefe one to stay depending on injuries, Lobbs form and Flynns development
One of the tall defenders could be traded as a surplus is developing Tomlinson/Corr/Haynes/TOJ/Buntine but I think that will be looked at later on in the year
Tiziani is the other one who needs to have a good season in the NEAFL or he could be a 4 year project like TOJ but with Shipley/Bonar likely to play a similar position if they get called up and then Walker possibly to be drafted later this year

Too early to tell on some i think and also we need to see how some of the first and second years develop Shipley/Bonar/Cumming/Perryman
Do you have your eyes on anyone? What do the Hawks have left to trade? We could look at Breust if you want to get rid of him?
Griffen likely too retire
Deledio contracted but depends on his body but his early season form has been ok
Simpson/Keefe one to stay depending on injuries, Lobbs form and Flynns development
One of the tall defenders could be traded as a surplus is developing Tomlinson/Corr/Haynes/TOJ/Buntine but I think that will be looked at later on in the year
Tiziani is the other one who needs to have a good season in the NEAFL or he could be a 4 year project like TOJ but with Shipley/Bonar likely to play a similar position if they get called up and then Walker possibly to be drafted later this year
I think Lobb would be really beneficial for us in the forward line. Think he’s more suited to a role in the forward line than ruck.
Obviously wouldn’t leave you with many options pending Flynn’s development & Simpson/Keefe form.

Bruest would be out of bounds.
We could potentially be interested in a young key defender pending Brands development and TOB working out which end he will play at and how well he goes. Frawley almost 30 I believe which could mean he retires in a few years time.

Btw. Coniglio plz :D:p

Similar thoughts to fridgeman above. List of players OOC in 2018 is remarkably short - 6 (Keeffe, Simpson, Finlayson, Griffen, Tiziani, Mohr) plus the rookie-listed players:
- I can see Griffen & Mohr retiring, giving GWS 2 of the 3 spots required. Depending on what else happens (i.e. if others leave) they could get a one year extension.
- Finlayson I'd hope would re-sign after breaking into first grade, but will wait until later to build his case for more $; the risk is someone offers more $ and a guaranteed spot.
- Keeffe & Simpson are backup players on year-to-year contracts, and can be easily replaced if they left (either GWS pushed them out or they jumped ship).
- Tiziani shows promise and needs time; the only issue is that Matt Walker in this year's GWS Academy crop is a similar player - mid-sized, goal-kicking forward - so could be at risk of being moved on or easily enticed away for opportunity (which we could live with).

Of the remaining list, there's not too many I can see either being pushed out or wanting to leave - especially cutting short their contract:
- Matt Buntine after his extensive injury time off might think about a new start; need to see if he can get back into our backline for the rest of the year.
- I've thought we've had one KPD too many on the books, but if Mohr retires I can't see GWS wanting to lose any of the remainder. Tomlinson seems to have been a target in the past, but is really settled in our backline now & has a Sydney-based girlfriend. Someone like Saints who supposedly made a play for him last year will need to offer more than a token pick for him though.
- can't see Lobb going: he sees himself as a ruckman and this year is his opportunity to really accelerate his learning in that position - unless GWS made an assessment that he wasn't working or that his groin issue that recurs from time to time is too much of a risk.

Overall, I think it will be a quiet year for GWS trading now that we're down to the normal AFL list size.

I think Lobb would be really beneficial for us in the forward line. Think he’s more suited to a role in the forward line than ruck.
Obviously wouldn’t leave you with many options pending Flynn’s development & Simpson/Keefe form.

Bruest would be out of bounds.
We could potentially be interested in a young key defender pending Brands development and TOB working out which end he will play at and how well he goes. Frawley almost 30 I believe which could mean he retires in a few years time.

Btw. Coniglio plz :D:p

Lobb needs to develop his ruck work and I think he has a couple of years to prove himself before he has pressure on his position in the side
I think a defender is an option for you so if not Breust we will take Cyril for a year and you can have him back or we can have some of your medical staff
Omeara is easing into the season nicely and hopefully he plays most games this year but I would think they will be cautious with him and he misses some of the long road trips

Similar thoughts to fridgeman above. List of players OOC in 2018 is remarkably short - 6 (Keeffe, Simpson, Finlayson, Griffen, Tiziani, Mohr) plus the rookie-listed players:
- I can see Griffen & Mohr retiring, giving GWS 2 of the 3 spots required. Depending on what else happens (i.e. if others leave) they could get a one year extension.
- Finlayson I'd hope would re-sign after breaking into first grade, but will wait until later to build his case for more $; the risk is someone offers more $ and a guaranteed spot.
- Keeffe & Simpson are backup players on year-to-year contracts, and can be easily replaced if they left (either GWS pushed them out or they jumped ship).
- Tiziani shows promise and needs time; the only issue is that Matt Walker in this year's GWS Academy crop is a similar player - mid-sized, goal-kicking forward - so could be at risk of being moved on or easily enticed away for opportunity (which we could live with).

Of the remaining list, there's not too many I can see either being pushed out or wanting to leave - especially cutting short their contract:
- Matt Buntine after his extensive injury time off might think about a new start; need to see if he can get back into our backline for the rest of the year.
- I've thought we've had one KPD too many on the books, but if Mohr retires I can't see GWS wanting to lose any of the remainder. Tomlinson seems to have been a target in the past, but is really settled in our backline now & has a Sydney-based girlfriend. Someone like Saints who supposedly made a play for him last year will need to offer more than a token pick for him though.
- can't see Lobb going: he sees himself as a ruckman and this year is his opportunity to really accelerate his learning in that position - unless GWS made an assessment that he wasn't working or that his groin issue that recurs from time to time is too much of a risk.

Overall, I think it will be a quiet year for GWS trading now that we're down to the normal AFL list size.

Too early to speculate on trades but I think one of Keefe/Mohr/Buntine goes with Keefe the most likely IMO I think Buntine stays as he is well regarded around the club and will not be a huge salary and has AFL experience but then we will have a better picture in the second half of the year with players form and selection
And then it will come down to salary cap management as to which of Tomlinson/Corr/Haynes/Finlayson is possibly open to a trade again IMO
Plenty of KPD on the list and the option to draft or trade is available and I don't think any potential academy prospects are KPD with both Richards and Briggs ruck forwards
Hopefully it is a quiet trade period and we look at keeping most of the list the same but again salary cap management will be an issue for several more years and I think the age spread of the list is right

Too early to speculate on trades but I think one of Keefe/Mohr/Buntine goes with Keefe the most likely IMO I think Buntine stays as he is well regarded around the club and will not be a huge salary and has AFL experience but then we will have a better picture in the second half of the year with players form and selection
And then it will come down to salary cap management as to which of Tomlinson/Corr/Haynes/Finlayson is possibly open to a trade again IMO
Plenty of KPD on the list and the option to draft or trade is available and I don't think any potential academy prospects are KPD with both Richards and Briggs ruck forwards
Hopefully it is a quiet trade period and we look at keeping most of the list the same but again salary cap management will be an issue for several more years and I think the age spread of the list is right

Untouchable.

Someone will probably get stupid offers thrown at them again, seen reported StKilda have to recruit someone to make minimum cap, North must be getting similar. Don't see anyone leaving, maybe a fringe player. We could go after a ruck depending on how the season goes, not much other pressing needs.

Someone will probably get stupid offers thrown at them again, seen reported StKilda have to recruit someone to make minimum cap, North must be getting similar. Don't see anyone leaving, maybe a fringe player. We could go after a ruck depending on how the season goes, not much other pressing needs.
We don’t have any act players atm though so St Kilda will sniff elsewhere. Davis is under contract as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back