Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But that's the thing, we missed the right chance to get him, we'd have been better off not getting him at all then getting him late like we have now.

We've literally picked the worst of both worlds.

Also I'd argue we didn't get him too late: what we did wrong was be interested in him at all. If we'd never even glanced at Gibbs we'd still have Lyons who was a better player than Gibbs last year, is younger and has surpassed Gibbs by an even greater margin this year.

Of all the potatoes at the time on our list at the time, I would have kept Lyons. There were many spuds to choose from and we let go of the one that has developed well. Ironically too he wanted to stay as well.

For what we got and the player he was at the time, for me the trade should never have happened. Monumental list fck up.

Of all the potatoes at the time on our list at the time, I would have kept Lyons. There were many spuds to choose from and we let go of the one that has developed well. Ironically too he wanted to stay as well.

For what we got and the player he was at the time, for me the trade should never have happened. Monumental list fck up.
Greenwood, Mouch, Sloane, Brouch (ok, fitness issues), CEY (at the time) Polholke (future), Douglas were all inside mids when JL was around. The issue we had was we didn't get much for him, not that we let him go.

If Carlton ends up near the bottom as they're looking like given their start, the positional difference between pick 10 and 16 we gave up last year will be more than the difference between that pick 16 and this years Carlton 2nd round pick we got (in a stronger draft with potentially good enough SA telent).

That's more like a 1 and a 1/2 1st round picks trade for Gibbs - could almost even say 1 1st round and change. Guess they wouldn't have known this at the time of the trade but AFC probably thought it possible.

Keep in mind too that we're giving Carlton our 2nd rounder this year

It will be interesting when the season's over to be able to finally look at the true trade cost for Gibbs.

But that's the thing, we missed the right chance to get him, we'd have been better off not getting him at all then getting him late like we have now.

We've literally picked the worst of both worlds.

Also I'd argue we didn't get him too late: what we did wrong was be interested in him at all. If we'd never even glanced at Gibbs we'd still have Lyons who was a better player than Gibbs last year, is younger and has surpassed Gibbs by an even greater margin this year.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Draft 2016 was the year to cash in the chips on Gibbs and we didn't need to get rid of Lyons to do it. My argument has always been that the two first rounders were speculative in an average draft and history has shown we wouldn't have lost much by not having them. Of course 95% of people here thought I was an idiot...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Draft 2016 was the year to cash in the chips on Gibbs and we didn't need to get rid of Lyons to do it. My argument has always been that the two first rounders were speculative in an average draft and history has shown we wouldn't have lost much by not having them. Of course 95% of people here thought I was an idiot...

Those of us that listen to the cast still think your an idiot. But broken clocks and all that ;)

Those of us that listen to the cast still think your an idiot. But broken clocks and all that ;)
feenix67 is a pain in the arse sometimes but he’s no idiot and he was spot on with the Gibbs call. Too many want the magic beans in draft picks. Proven performers are proven.

As long as you're listening haha :p

feenix67 is a pain in the arse sometimes but he’s no idiot and he was spot on with the Gibbs call. Too many want the magic beans in draft picks. Proven performers are proven.

Naww :sparklingheart:

Im just going to leave this here... and to think people were asking the question back in 2016 as to why the club would even be interested in him:rolleyes:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...cont-in-part-2.1147170/page-282#post-51793038

The need for Gibbs is getting less as each week our mids become a better unit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah I do think we still need Gibbs to add to our ranks.

Not only will he take a tonne of pressure off of Sloane, which will hopefully help him perform every game rather than just some, but imagine replacing a Mackay, or an out of form Atkins/Douglas with Gibbs. Are we also really going to pin our midfield resurgence on a former basketballer and injury prone junior? That's a very fine line to walk and could seriously bite us in the ass if we aren't careful.

Instantly makes our midfield unit a whole heap better. Our midfield is operating well at the moment yes, but it could still be better, a lot better. Gibbs makes it better.

He's a goal threat, he's a brilliant kick, good tackler, smart footballer and can take a strong contested mark. He's doesn't rely on his athleticism to be an A grade player, and has proven to be quite durable, another bonus people tend to overlook when discussing his age. He can even float across HBF like Boyd in his later years if we really need.

Gibbs is certainly worth chasing again, as he is a class player and brings a lot to our team over various aspects.

Yes Rockliff might come for free, but imo I don't think he's worth adding to our ranks. He doesn't provide us with an edge that we don't already have and isn't as versatile as Gibbs.

azza77, Aug 10, 2017Report
I will admit I was wrong to an extent. I am very happy we have him now.

But I am correct in that our midfield unit was pretty good last year. He would not have been the difference GF day.

The trade was also too high in 2016. The deal was better in 2017 as we walked out with Gibbs, Fog and and additional first rounder and Carlton's second rounder for next year.

But if we did not have him now we would be in a world of pain.

Imagine if Ferret Piles didn't carry out his treachery and we drafted Bryce ... then the discrepancy is brought up :eek: - wonder what would have happened.
It was actually RussellEbertHandball who let Rucci know about the rules.

And yet Brett Ebert eligibility cloud slipped him by......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My biggest worry in getting Gibbs was that he was coming into a team that was already good enough to beat anyone anywhere on their day, but with a habit of just completely not showing up to games (2012 QF, 2015 SF, 2016 Final Round, 2016 SF, 2017 Round 7, 2017 Round 8, 2017 GF as some stand-outs).

He doesn't magically change that.

My biggest worry in getting Gibbs was that he was coming into a team that was already good enough to beat anyone anywhere on their day, but with a habit of just completely not showing up to games (2012 QF, 2015 SF, 2016 Final Round, 2016 SF, 2017 Round 7, 2017 Round 8, 2017 GF as some stand-outs).

He doesn't magically change that.

The one thing he does do is give us another quality player, allowing us to push out the players that continually fail under pressure.

A mixture of Gibbs and a few new kids could have fully rid the team of underperforming senior players.

Of course we have shown absolutely no inclination to make these changes whatsoever.

(We also needed to get rid of Clarke and Campo so the midfield could be properly coached but that's another issue)

The one thing he does do is give us another quality player, allowing us to push out the players that continually fail under pressure.

A mixture of Gibbs and a few new kids could have fully rid the team of underperforming senior players.

Of course we have shown absolutely no inclination to make these changes whatsoever.

(We also needed to get rid of Clarke and Campo so the midfield could be properly coached but that's another issue)

I think the removal of Campo would change things a lot, its been a constant problem.

Gibbs full impact wont be felt until we have Sloane, Brad and Matt at 100% fully fit.

We haven’t been able to field the advantage of having Gibbs yet, and it’s going to cost us this year. Having B.Crouch, M.Crouch, Sloane and Gibbs with a good Jacobs would’ve kept us up there. Right now we’re at Gibbs, injured Sloane, no Crouches and a s**t Jacobs.

Correct. At present it’s a case of thank f*** we got Gibbs, because our midfield would be useless without him. Instead of him strengthening our midfield, he’s propping it up!

Correct. At present it’s a case of thank f*** we got Gibbs, because our midfield would be useless without him. Instead of him strengthening our midfield, he’s propping it up!
I think there is hope that this turns around when
- Sloane gets over his foot injury
- Crouch brothers return and hit some solid form
- Greenwood gets his fitness and touch up after no preseason

Imagine if we didnt have him?

This Friday night, we would be potentially without Sloane(injury cloud?), Brad and Matt in there.

I'm not so sure Clarke is a problem, Campo though..... yep.

I will admit I was wrong to an extent. I am very happy we have him now.

But I am correct in that our midfield unit was pretty good last year. He would not have been the difference GF day.

The trade was also too high in 2016. The deal was better in 2017 as we walked out with Gibbs, Fog and and additional first rounder and Carlton's second rounder for next year.

But if we did not have him now we would be in a world of pain.

Sorry Geoff I wasn't trying to pick you out of a whole bunch who were on the No side of the fence, merely just the content of my post:)

If only Carlton accepted our first, third and Jarryd Lyons instead of holding out for a first and "upgrading" with our pick 16 for pick ~19 in a much stronger draft. We'd all be happy.

Back