MVP 2018 GWS Most Valuable Player Award - Winner revealed

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, time to pin this up before the start of the 2018 season. As Determinant foretold last year, we're going to slightly change the weekly scoring system for the MVP. In place of the rigid 5,4,3,2,1 award, posters will instead have a total of 15 points per game to award to players as they see fit, with a maximum of 5 points per player. That still allows you to award the standard 5,4,3,2,1 but flexibility to award differently if your assessment of players' performance is different. For example:
- if 3 players perform equally well, you may choose to award each player 5 points (15 points total)
- if there's one standout well ahead of others, 3 moderately good players, you may choose to award a 5, three 3s & a 1 (15 points total)
- if everyone plays poorly in a loss, you may choose to give 1 point to fifteen different players (15 points total).

As usual, each round will have its own thread, and once each round is finalised, this thread will record the running total.

Important announcement!

OK, Determinant and I are going to institute a different final weekly voting outcome than just the 54321 used previously. Following on from the flexible use of 15 points per voter per week, which everyone seems to have embraced, we chatted after the round 1 tally and felt that 54321 wasn't giving enough credit to players who finished just out of the top 5 each week. Hence, we're going to award points to all players from a total weekly pool of 100 points based on the percentage of the total votes gained.

So, the top players should get around 20 to 30 points each week, those with a few votes will still gather 1 or 2 unless below 0.5%, in which case they'll get 0 points. The total may not quite add to 100 due to rounding - I'll apply normal rounding down for less than 0.50 & above if equal or more than 0.50.

Happy to take any discussion in this thread, or PM me.

Important announcement!

OK, Determinant and I are going to institute a different final weekly voting outcome than just the 54321 used previously. Following on from the flexible use of 15 points per voter per week, which everyone seems to have embraced, we chatted after the round 1 tally and felt that 54321 wasn't giving enough credit to players who finished just out of the top 5 each week. Hence, we're going to award points to all players from a total weekly pool of 100 points based on the percentage of the total votes gained.

So, the top players should get around 20 to 30 points each week, those with a few votes will still gather 1 or 2 unless below 0.5%, in which case they'll get 0 points. The total may not quite add to 100 due to rounding - I'll apply normal rounding down for less than 0.50 & above if equal or more than 0.50.

Happy to take any discussion in this thread, or PM me.
Really happy with this result, which is tbh mostly GS's ideas, my only input was to say that if a guy finished 6th every week for 23 rounds he'd be on zero using 54321 which would be a problem for me.
This strategy ensures that almost all votes count, as they should :)

Leaderboard after round 5 below.

Notably, Cogs & Cal most consistently scoring in first 5 rounds, 5 & 4 times in top 5 respectively - hence first & second overall. Good to see Lids on the scoreboard, as well as a couple of defenders, & Jeremy Finlayson (TOJ) having a great showing for his first decent run in first grade.

GWS MVP 2018 Progress Rd 5.PNG

Last edited:
Leaderboard after round 6:

GWS MVP 2018 Progress Rd 6.PNG

Just to note that MdB is an example of where the new system works. Under the old 54321 system, he's be on just 5 points scored from this BOG game behind Callan on 9 points from placing in 4 rounds; whereas his earlier couple of 6th places when added his BOG performance in the new system see him equal with Cal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaderboard after round 9:

GWS MVP 2018 Progress Rd 9.PNG

Notable that it's the first game that Cogs hasn't scored any votes; and only the second round that Cal hasn't (indicating the failure of our inside midfielders to stand up when needed).

Interesting if the Big footy best player has matched the Clubs award over the years?
My pick is for Coniglio to take out the award this year, I think he is ready for a big end for the year

Interesting if the Big footy best player has matched the Clubs award over the years?
My pick is for Coniglio to take out the award this year, I think he is ready for a big end for the year

I think it would currently be between him and Lachie, for mine with Lachie slightly in front

Remove this Banner Ad

Back