Rumour Brisbane Lions Player Welfare Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

If true, no surprise Ayres hasn't coached again.

I'm not suggesting Adelaide would ever do something like this again or officially, but with the hot coal run, the training camp and the attitude towards Lever's departure. There seems to be a culture of hard, uncompromising leadership.

OTT:

Let's not speculate too much, but Schache was very low last year.

Whoever it was, I still don't believe the story, but maybe the bones of it could be true.

It's hard enough being a young man in today's changing world. If a professional football club can't take care, imagine how difficult it is for the rest of young men who need help.
Ayres is still coaching in the VFL. As to the rest of your post ..

Sam Newman doing impressions of Chinese eyes, teeth and accents on the footy show last Thursday. You know, the most basic and low stereotype from the gold fields two centuries ago.

I am amazed he has hasn't been made to apologise for 1. being offensive, 2. being unfunny, and 3. being an embarrassment to all of us.

Watched that and cringed a little. Thought that type of stereotype of Chinese people was last seen in Breakfast At Tiffany's. Bizarre from Sam

Mike seemed pretty shocked that Sam and Grant knew but he didn't.

Hard to know if Sam added Mayo to the story with the noose around the neck or it was not as serious as that.

Sam Newman doing impressions of Chinese eyes, teeth and accents on the footy show last Thursday. You know, the most basic and low stereotype from the gold fields two centuries ago.

I am amazed he has hasn't been made to apologise for 1. being offensive, 2. being unfunny, and 3. being an embarrassment to all of us.

Seriously? How sensitive is the world now?
When he does his Jeff Kennett impersonation are you also offended? Or is that OK because it's a white male?

WTF? Do you need a lesson in how racism works? Just cause you don't experience it doesn't mean it's not happening, you self-centered a$$.
He did it in the context of being asked for photos by Asian people who thought he was Harrison Ford. So saying one white guy looked like another.. racism if it was 2 Asian people.

Also quintessential new Australia, when I disagree with someone I turn to abuse to try and stop others verbal abuse.

When he does his Jeff Kennett impersonation are you also offended? Or is that OK because it's a white male?

That is a spurious argument. It is like saying that tagging on trains is artwork, because how can it be distinguished from Banksy? It puts forward a small truth to hide a bigger lie.

As a society, in dialogue with people of Chinese heritage, we have learnt beyond doubt that such an impression is offensive and has no place. Same as black face, or the N word.

Last edited:
As someone of Chinese heritage I don't think you understand how often ABC's mock FOBs over this sort of suff.

That is a spurious argument. It is like saying that tagging on trains is artwork, because how can it be distinguished from Banksy? It puts forward a small truth to hide a bigger lie.

As a society, in dialogue with people of Chinese heritage, we have learnt beyond doubt that such an impression is offensive and has no place. Same as black face, or the N word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He says "its a fact" once yet still won't tell us why he knows its a fact.

He then states 2 times that "they said its a fact" and then that "they said it is a clinical fact"
He then said that he "still won't believe it until someone comes ..." but was then interrupted by Mike.

Grunt Thomas then states that "The AFL knew about it, I'm sure they knew about it - i'd be very surprised if the AFL didn't know about it as well"

The only thing this podcast is missing is Terry Wallace seeking self promotion.
Thought the guy was "cherry ripe"

My sister was good mates with a young guy who committed suicide, in that same circle of friends was a fresh young Adelaide Crows recruit, the recruit was very close to the young man.

Young recruit tells the Crows he needs time off to attend the funeral and won't be available for selection, Gary Ayres: "fine, but don't bother coming back if you go".

That must have been a long time ago - it’s been around 15 years since Ayres was at Adelaide.

We live in very different times today (thankfully)

Let's not wonder, hey?.

It’s not unreasonable to wonder if it might have been somehow connected to the “Go home 5” thing all those years ago?

If so, it’s a pinup example of how dealing with moral issues poorly or well can be good or bad for business - for those folks who need those lessons.

In the rush for moral outrage and blame apportioning (and let's be honest, for some, some juicy gossip), let's not forget that there are potentially serious consequences to investigating this further publicly - a player who reportedly was in a bad enough way to attempt suicide. 99.99% of people aren't going to know the current mental state of that person. A public expose of that isn't going to help.

It’s also a medical condition which should be handled under patient confidentiality.

If it's true and if it was a year before the problem was recognised, then the odds are the processes have been rectified. And knowing a little about the restructure of our welfare department in recent times I'd be confident that it wouldn't be something that would be repeated.

Yeah, would have thought so.

BL put out a great vid a few years back about the player welfare support Craig Lambert and his wife were putting into supporting new recruits. Looked like a fantastic initiative.

Great shame that he got caught up in that Whitfield saga.

Why is the assumption that it hasn't? As per above, there's most likely very good reason why the news wasn't made public until now. Newman's a pillock for even raising it publicly in the first place.

It’s a tough one.

Society is all the better for these things being discussed publicly. It’s led to a lot of stigma being taken out of general mental health issues. That is a good thing.

The trouble is, even if confidentiality is protected (ie: AFL Chief Medical Officer comes out and announced that an AFL player attempted suicide without mentioning the club or the method) then there’ll be endless speculation about who it is, and some peanut will go onto that darstardly BigFooty scandals and rumours board and finger who it is (amongst 10 other threads fingering who it isn’t).

Last edited:
Mate, the thread is literally about something Sam Newman said. Of course it's about racism, it's not like Sam has much else in his repertoire.

hey hey, he's just saying what everyone's thinking

darryl.jpg

It is probably because Jeff and him are friends and it is just banter.

Making fun of a group of people who have experienced racism for a long time in Australia makes it cringeworthy.

Similar to how calling Jason Dunstall an ape is not racist( it may be offensive or distasteful) but calling Majak an ape would be.

It is probably because Jeff and him are friends and it is just banter.

Making fun of a group of people who have experienced racism for a long time in Australia makes it cringeworthy.

Similar to how calling Jason Dunstall an ape is not racist( it may be offensive or distasteful) but calling Majak an ape would be.

But isn't that strange logic for a society? I wouldn't do it myself but try explaning that to someone with no idea of previous history.

And these are the exact words from Sam Newman on the latest podcast referring to the incredibly emotional interview which was obviously given under immense duress by the Father of the Wife and four Children who were slaughtered by their Father / Grand Father in Margaret River last week;

"I think he should have a press conference, so we can see what a rat bag he is.

Maybe the Grand Father missed the problem, missed the only person that he should have dealt with.

Well how would you come to any other conclusion."

I have no idea what transpired prior to this tragedy but the facts are that only one person is ultimately responsible for pulling the trigger !!!

Sam Newman is an irrelevant, attention seeking media **** who should not be given oxygen in any shape or form when it comes to commenting on any topic in the 21st century.
Mike Sheehan should hang his head in shame for agreeing to be a being a part of what I consider "Street Talk" at an absolute gutter level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back