U18 Champs 2018 U18 Academy Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Tom Green was the standout for GWS academy against the Territory, with 31 disposals & 10 clearances....He's 188cm, but is a bottom ager having been born on 21/1/2001, so not draft eligible.....All it says is he's from Marist, so unsure on his ties & Academy status.
I don't claim any inside knowledge, but my understanding from what I've seen ... Marist is Marist College, a private school in Canberra that also enters a team in the local junior AFL comp. Tom Green has been a student there since 2013, which presumably (and matches his age) makes him grade 12 this year. He was named in GWS Academy training squads in 2017, and is a member of the current GWS Academy Under 17 squad (which matches that he's an underager in the Div 2 Champs this year). I therefore presume that he would be GWS academy for 2019 draft purposes. A number of the current GWS Academy Div 2 side are also Marist students (or ex depending on age).

I don't claim any inside knowledge, but my understanding from what I've seen ... Marist is Marist College, a private school in Canberra that also enters a team in the local junior AFL comp. Tom Green has been a student there since 2013, which presumably (and matches his age) makes him grade 12 this year. He was named in GWS Academy training squads in 2017, and is a member of the current GWS Academy Under 17 squad (which matches that he's an underager in the Div 2 Champs this year). I therefore presume that he would be GWS academy for 2019 draft purposes. A number of the current GWS Academy Div 2 side are also Marist students (or ex depending on age).

Cheers....If he's from the ACT, then he's unequivocally one of yours....So you have First dibs by the looks of it.

Been some fine players from that neck of the woods over the years: Jezza & Hird are 2 that come to mind right off the bat.....Might be overdue for another gold-nugget.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-14/top-prospects-star-as-academy-series-kicks-off

Anyone got any more info on Fraser Turner for Tassie?....For Example, is he a part of North's academy or not?....Or is he a former AFL player's son?...I'm thinking of Dean Turner who played for the Roys, who was from Tassie.

He's 186cm, was born on the 26/12/2000, so is draft eligible.....He played on a wing against Gold Coast academy, having 34 disposals, 10 marks & 7 I50's
He isnt eligible for North's NGA academy selection but I dont really know anything else about him. He kind of just popped up out of nowhere.

He isnt eligible for North's NGA academy selection but I dont really know anything else about him. He kind of just popped up out of nowhere.

He is in the North Academy but he isn't available for priority selection. (Your welcome all)

He played for North VFL vs the AFL Academy as well, has been over in Melbourne a few times using the facilities etc, he did well.

He is in the North Academy but he isn't available for priority selection. (Your welcome all)

He played for North VFL vs the AFL Academy as well, has been over in Melbourne a few times using the facilities etc, he did well.
Did Fraser Turner go over for that? Or are you thinking of Nic Baker?

Looking forward to Tassie vs NT next Sunday, I’ll be down there for sure

Looking forward to your shared insights.

Well they Sydney v GWS game is on right now, not that you would know about it from the NSW/ACT Rams twitter page, or anywhere else really.

There's usually an updated tweet or 2 on the AFL Under 18's page from Twomey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey is being an anus by kicking 7.2 today and getting 20 disposals. He is very quickly moving up the draft rankings.

I want him to play worse :p

The division 2 games are a bit of a no win for Blakey really. If he does well, then it doesn't really mean much because he's clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the players. The other thing that dominating does, is build the hype for when he plays for the Allies. So now if he has a poor Championships? Well, then questions are asked.

The division 2 games are a bit of a no win for Blakey really. If he does well, then it doesn't really mean much because he's clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the players. The other thing that dominating does, is build the hype for when he plays for the Allies. So now if he has a poor Championships? Well, then questions are asked.

Yes I imagine South Australia, Western Australia and the two Victorian sides will have better defensive structures than the GWS academy side.

That, plus the ball won't be getting down there nearly so often.

It didn't really get down there much today. The Swans jumped the Giants in the first quarter and got six on the board to the Giants' one, which included one from a mark to Blakey in the goal square all by himself. After that, the Giants were clearly on top in possession, cohesion of ball movement, and territory. They just weren't particularly efficient in converting their chances. The Swans did come out at the start of the fourth quarter and evened things up around the ground. Blakey kicked three of his goals in the space of a few minutes at the start of that last quarter to effectively kill the contest on the scoreboard.

It didn't really get down there much today. The Swans jumped the Giants in the first quarter and got six on the board to the Giants' one, which included one from a mark to Blakey in the goal square all by himself. After that, the Giants were clearly on top in possession, cohesion of ball movement, and territory. They just weren't particularly efficient in converting their chances. The Swans did come out at the start of the fourth quarter and evened things up around the ground. Blakey kicked three of his goals in the space of a few minutes at the start of that last quarter to effectively kill the contest on the scoreboard.
Hi Liz,
How did some of the other swans players perform?

Not sure I am really qualified to comment much, given I don't watch much underage football. And watching yesterday was handicapped by:

a) them playing the game on the second oval, rather than the main oval, meaning there was nowhere with any elevation for spectators to watch the ground;
b) not having a list of player numbers and names until the second half (after I'd discovered the team sheets cannily "hidden" in the food van).

The only player I could recognise by sight other than Blakey was Joey Reinhard. In the second half I started to be able to put names to bodies. I can't say there was anyone who stood out as being a level above the rest (Blakey aside) but:
- Reinhard took a couple of nice marks and kicked at least a goal. He's an over-ager and has spent the off-season training with the Swans senior squad, so whether that was enough I don't really know. He was OK in the one NEAFL game I've seen this year.
- Stern showed some good pace at times, and kicked a good individual goal where he fumbled the ball a few times but persisted, and finally got the ball on his boot for a true snap.
- Rory Barkley kicked the opening goal of the game and one more, I think. He looked OK and had a bit of aggro about him.
- Michael Carroll (another over ager) was solid in defence. He won several one on one contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back