Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas really is an intriguing prospect, funnily enough his build reminds me most of Raph Clarke, but he plays a fair bit differently (lets hope)

Even then, Thomas will likely be up to 2" taller than him in the end. The fact he's been a match winner at FF, CHB in the TSL, plays through the middle. He will end up the same height as Adam Goodes at around 191, im not sure he can put on that size build though.

He's one of the more intriguing prospects, Shaun Burgoyne comparisons are apt, but he plays a bit taller and probably less of a natural mid as Burgoyne was at the same age.

Thomas really is an intriguing prospect, funnily enough his build reminds me most of Raph Clarke, but he plays a fair bit differently (lets hope)

Even then, Thomas will likely be up to 2" taller than him in the end. The fact he's been a match winner at FF, CHB in the TSL, plays through the middle. He will end up the same height as Adam Goodes at around 191, im not sure he can put on that size build though.

He's one of the more intriguing prospects, Shaun Burgoyne comparisons are apt, but he plays a bit taller and probably less of a natural mid as Burgoyne was at the same age.
Think your spot on with those assessments

Think your spot on with those assessments

I can't think of too many 190+ modern Aboriginal midfielders, Goodes is one, the Clarkes weren't quite that size and were busts.

CEY is one, but Thomas has far more talent.

McLeod, C.Johnson etc were low 180's.

As I said, Burgoyne at 186 is who he is compared to a lot, but his game style might be a fair bit different given some of the modern roles he might play at his height..

Jack Martin is only 185 etc.

Do we know how bad Max Kings knee injury is yet?

I can't think of too many 190+ modern Aboriginal midfielders, Goodes is one, the Clarkes weren't quite that size and were busts.

CEY is one, but Thomas has far more talent.

McLeod, C.Johnson etc were low 180's.

As I said, Burgoyne at 186 is who he is compared to a lot, but his game style might be a fair bit different given some of the modern roles he might play at his height..

Jack Martin is only 185 etc.
Alex Pearce was a midfielder before shooting up 20cm seemingly overnight.

It’s funny how we Australian sports fans view ACL’s as opposed to NBA fans. Especially when talking about a 200cm prospect.

An ACL injury, especially to a young player, is not viewed as career threatening.

Especially to a player who is only 200cm, which is guard or small forward size.

Usually viewed as a 2 year recovery period. 9 to 12 months to return to full contact. 24 months to regain full athleticism, and in some cases of young players, 19 - 22 years of age, some are more athletic after recovery, because they hadn’t reached their full physical capabilities at the time of injury.
...so exactly how ACLs are viewed in this league?

I’m talking about guys coming back from knee injuries. Not under age players fulfilling their potential in the AFL.

Unless it’s a really bad knee, or their are some complications down the line Max will be fine. It might even help him as the pressure will be off and I don’t think that Max, Ben or even Lukosious would have that big an impact next year anyway.

Yeah....We've already had Max Bailey (First round pick in the 2005 draft) who did his 3-4 times & played a whole 50 games over an 8 year career.....Ceglar has also had complications in making it back from doing his, which occurred some 20 months ago now.

It's a big risk for a Top 5 pick in a 'super-draft' year.....But I'd imagine he'll still likely get picked up inside the top 20 because of his abilities.....Someone will take the risk you'd imagine.

Yeah....We've already had Max Bailey (First round pick in the 2005 draft) who did his 3-4 times & played a whole 50 games over an 8 year career.....Ceglar has also had complications in making it back from doing his, which occurred some 20 months ago now.

It's a big risk for a Top 5 pick in a 'super-draft' year.....But I'd imagine he'll still likely get picked up inside the top 20 because of his abilities.....Someone will take the risk you'd imagine.

Max Gawn has also done 2 ACL's....

First things first, let's get things clear. It isn't a 'super draft'

Super draft is a term referred to only for following drafts and based off there being a handful of players playing underage at U18s.

Doesn't make any real sense.

The 2001 Draft that featured Hodge, Ball & Judd was touted as a 'super-draft' given the depth of quality & Top end talent, especially among the mids.....Ditto 2006, which was considered a deep key-position pool of high end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't make any real sense.

The 2001 Draft that featured Hodge, Ball & Judd was touted as a 'super-draft' given the depth of quality & Top end talent, especially among the mids.....Ditto 2006, which was considered a deep key-position pool of high end talent.
It makes perfect sense, it's now a media driven comment.

It makes perfect sense, it's now a media driven comment.
Some of those in the media whose job involves (in part) analysing the draftables of each year may well, in their opinion, claim a draft year to be stronger than another, but it’s all relative.

If some players appear more advanced than their peers, it may be because their peers are actually crap - hence the top end look better.

Heaps of players get picked late in drafts and 4-5 years later have well exceeded those taken earlier. Happens every year.

I remember hearing (sorry, can't remember where) that there are some attitude concerns with Rankine. Apparently had trouble finding a manager because of it and has been suspended more than once. Can anyone shed some light on this? Something to be worried about or bullshit rumours?

I remember hearing (sorry, can't remember where) that there are some attitude concerns with Rankine. Apparently had trouble finding a manager because of it and has been suspended more than once. Can anyone shed some light on this? Something to be worried about or bullshit rumours?

no kid who is rated top 3-5 in a draft is going to have trouble finding a manager.

managers/agents will be lined up around the block pitching themselves as the best person to represent him, regardless of whatever attitude problems that may or may not exist.

no kid who is rated top 3-5 in a draft is going to have trouble finding a manager.

managers/agents will be lined up around the block pitching themselves as the best person to represent him, regardless of whatever attitude problems that may or may not exist.
So why did the Age footy podcast report that he did? He ended up going with a small local company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back