2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

NTS Sessions 3 might be the best yet from the 6 hours thus far. The sequencing builds overwhelmingly (I get teary by g 1 e 1). I can't believe they've been able to sustain this (even level up) over 6 hours.

NTS1-4 just might be my album of the decade (and Exai is already contending for that crown).

Lord Huron's new album, Vide Noir is terrific. Dreamy, soulful and pop in equal measures.

Also, just listened to Okkervil River's new single. Famous Tracheotomies. Will Self had a tracheotomy when he was young along with a generally sickly childhood. Very autobiographical song, with graphic details. He mixes it in with stories of Gary Coleman, Mary Wells, Dylan Thomas and Ray Davies who all had tracheotomies. Finishes of with a bit of Waterloo Sunset melody. Looking forward to the album.

Last edited:

Really looking forward to Rolling Blackouts debut album. Saw them out Howler a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic. They’ve got the Australian soft rock sound down pat but they keep it cool at the same time.

The Voidz album was a ripper. Although some of the lyrics are lame as s**t, Julian just has a knack for sweet melodies, and even some of the weirder stuff is pretty good. Tyranny had some ripping moments but they never lasted long enough.

Really looking forward to Rolling Blackouts debut album. Saw them out Howler a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic. They’ve got the Australian soft rock sound down pat but they keep it cool at the same time.

The Voidz album was a ripper. Although some of the lyrics are lame as s**t, Julian just has a knack for sweet melodies, and even some of the weirder stuff is pretty good. Tyranny had some ripping moments but they never lasted long enough.

Working through their Spotify at the moment. I remember loving Clean Slate and then they kind of didn't come across my radar again.

In the same vein of Australian albums I'm keen as to see released, Tropical * Storm is going to be so good.

Really reallllly enjoying the new Flowertruck album:

That's probably my AOTY so far. The new Donny Benet album is a lot of fun and right up there too though:

The new posthumous Gurrumul album is stunningly beautiful. I need a few more listens to properly digest it, but it's so emotional and bittersweet. Will probably be right up there as one of my favourites for the year:

Haven't had much time to check stuff out outside of Australia this year, but Ought still have one of my favourite albums of this year.

Wow Flowertruck. Do they even get much attention? I used to talk to the drummer a bit at parties, we’re both from the same small town.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow Flowertruck. Do they even get much attention? I used to talk to the drummer a bit at parties, we’re both from the same small town.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not really. I feel like they have a bit of a cult-like following though. Always see the same people at their shows when they come to Brisbane. Popularity seems to have increased ever since they put out Enough For Now, but they've stagnated a bit now. It's a shame, they are a really interesting band, even if their influences are clear as day.

Everyone I've recommended them too seems to like. Took a couple of mates that hadn't heard of them along to their show and they fell in love with them. They just can't seem to get beyond that relatively underground level they are at now though.

NTS1-4 is the most wondrous music release of the decade. So proud that my longtime favourite artist could come out with something like this, so deep into their career. Moved to tears. And seeing them live in June. Orgasmic sigh.

I'm really liking the new Hatchie track after being a bit underwhelmed by her last one, but I do have to say, I feel like she's missing a trick by only putting out an EP. With Pitchfork giving best new music and her getting a fair bit of publicity, I feel like this year would have been the perfect time to put out a full project. I feel like putting an EP out isn't really riding the wave of surprising relevancy and that both the EP and her will be forgotten by next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving Janelle Monáe's new album.
Picked up the Physical during lunch! Had to dedicate today to NTS4, but will dive in over coming days.

I remember picking up ArchAndroid just before doing my first marathon in 2010, good memories. Electric Lady was day 1, can't believe its been (nearly) 5 years.

Dirty Computer flows like fire, love it, so Janelle, 3 from 3!

"Sex is power..." in Screwed sounds like a nod to Madonna starting up Maverick Records with Erotica.

The lyrics throughout are strong. Very summery, lots of Prince and Wonder.

2018 on track to be something special.

Last edited:
Dirty Computer is the first Janelle record that I've liked all the way through. Always admired her artistry but there were songs I would skip over on Electric and ArchAndroid.

This is a great listen start to finish.

Dirty Computer is the first Janelle record that I've liked all the way through. Always admired her artistry but there were songs I would skip over on Electric and ArchAndroid.

Completely agreed, the shorn length is a refreshing bonus. I grew to enjoy all of suite V of Electric Lady, but rarely listened through to the end of Suite III on ArchAndroid. Here we just have all quality and no LP fatigue.

I just don’t understand how a song like ‘make me feel’ is not a huge hit. Catchy as hell and the video is excellent. (Generally don’t get how Janelle isn’t huge anyway. But Im a massive fan so probably bias.)

I think Dirty Computer is a great album. It’s much more ‘pop’ than I expected and I think it lacks the soul of Electric Lady and the scope/cinematic feel of the archandroid. But it is definetly consistant. Dont know where it rates out of the three yet. Time will tell.

Please dont make me wait 5 more years for another album.

Completely agreed, the shorn length is a refreshing bonus. I grew to enjoy all of suite V of Electric Lady, but rarely listened through to the end of Suite III on ArchAndroid. Here we just have all quality and no LP fatigue.
Im the opposite and really like the weirdness and eclecticness of suite III.

"Sex is power..." in Screwed sounds like a nod to Madonna starting up Maverick Records with Erotica.

The lyrics throughout are strong. Very summery, lots of Prince and Wonder.

I just don’t understand how a song like ‘make me feel’ is not a huge hit. Catchy as hell and the video is excellent. (Generally don’t get how Janelle isn’t huge anyway. But Im a massive fan so probably bias.)

I think Dirty Computer is a great album. It’s much more ‘pop’ than I expected and I think it lacks the soul of Electric Lady and the scope/cinematic feel of the archandroid. But it is definetly consistant. Dont know where it rates out of the three yet. Time will tell.

Please dont make me wait 5 more years for another album.

Have you guys watched the film that goes with the album? Or as she calls it the 'Emotion Picture'? If not heres the link

The lyrics throughout are strong. Very summery, lots of Prince and Wonderway.

Funny how you say that about Screwed I was listening to it on the way home from work and was thinking it reminds me of Madonna. Not just the “Sex is power” Erotica nod but the whole track I was getting Into the Groove vibes from.

Funny how you say that about Screwed I was listening to it on the way home from work and was thinking it reminds me of Madonna. Not just the “Sex is power” Erotica nod but the whole track I was getting Into the Groove vibes from.
I've noticed her employing that Erotica bent in a few other DC tracks as well, and the production also has a comparable summer soda feel to something like the Like a Prayer album. I admire how she takes a party of influences and streamlines them into her own sound, a lot more confident and cohesive than the cinematic detours on the previous two albums.

Take a Byte as a title also recalls Take a Bow for me, and Don't Judge Me has a strong Bedtime Stories vibe (Forbidden Love particularly).

On RYM I mentioned identifying a (seeming) Climbing Up the Walls sample (or nod) circulating in Don't Judge Me, which enriches the OK Computer album title linkage.

If Dirty Computer lacks anything, it is one extended jam, as the album style would lend itself to some very tasty spacey funk. Add that into the last couple tracks, maybe after Don't Judge Me, and you would have yourself a legendary album. That said, in the current climate I suspect such a song would be used as a social commentary repository.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back