Review Round 5, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t believe anyone is sticking up for Walker after kicking 1.4 in the first 4 rounds. I could see the role he was playing but when he’s playing that poorly it was time to give someone else a go. McStay looked 10x more dangerous than Walker and even if he’d kicked 2 we would’ve been quite happy with his game.

Find it interesting that so many here are so pissed about the umpiring. There were a few shockers in the second half, sure, but I thought it was much more balanced than the first half of the Richmond game... or have people blocked that from their memory? Wouldn't blame you.

Personally, I didn't mind the game. I was happy to see us competitive and fighting hard. Didn't quite get there, but such is the life of a Lions' fan. This week I might even be one of the more upbeat posters around here, which would be a change from the usual. Maybe it's just an expectations game. I knew we were 50/50 to win yesterday, and we were good and competitive. A lot on here viewing us as big favourites, likely just refusing to think of us losing because then we'll be 0-6 (after we lose to GWS - yes, it's as simple as that).

Also surprised that so many are cheering on our backline. I haven't watched the replay yet, and you always see different things at the ground, but the major difference in the first half was that all of our shots were from 40-50, and more behinds. Gold Coast scored most of theirs from the goal square or from 10-20m out straight in front. And that irritates me.

McCluggage - huge game. Rapidly becoming an absolute jet. Yet another BOG for us.
Berry - mixed bag. Few good things, few bad decisions.
Witherden - spectacular game. Good to see him getting some form back after starting they year in poor shape (yes, that's a quip about him coming back from holidays a bit tubby).
Rayner - coming along nicely. Few really good moments, and I'm quite happy with a few good moments at this stage of his career.
Bailey - needs more development at the NEAFL level. Did a few things OK, but not ready yet.
Gardiner - solid game. Tends to be a whipping boy from time to time, and probably a bit inconsistent. But freaking huge game against Port, and a yeoman's job yesterday. If he can replicate that a bit more, he'll start getting the recognition he deserves.
Hipwood - good to see him slot a couple. Hopefully he pushes on.
McStay - promising. Good efforts, few marks, and a few contests bringing the ball to ground.

Marks inside 50 is an area we've suffered this year, and there was much less bombing forward than last week. A few more lowering the eyes, and a few more targeting a lead. Didn't always work, but development isn't a 1-week task. McStay big for that. Hopefully he works on his goalkicking and is back bigger and better next week. Rayner, Beams and Christensen all had some nice inside 50s.

The bit in bold probably has more to do with the midfield.

Apparently Zorko told Miller to "F*** off" or some variance to that after the game and refused to shake his hand. For a VC to do that sets a terrible example as well as the bad gameplay. Don't have an issue with dropping him next week to set an example, like how Dew did with Hall.

Yes not good, but I do wonder what was said or done to him during the game. Just don't think Zorks would be such a bad sportsman like that without a reason. Of course I could be wrong, but......we don't know the full of it.

Can’t believe anyone is sticking up for Walker after kicking 1.4 in the first 4 rounds. I could see the role he was playing but when he’s playing that poorly it was time to give someone else a go. McStay looked 10x more dangerous than Walker and even if he’d kicked 2 we would’ve been quite happy with his game.
If Josh Walker is the answer, you're probably asking the wrong question.

Yes not good, but I do wonder what was said or done to him during the game. Just don't think Zorks would be such a bad sportsman like that without a reason. Of course I could be wrong, but......we don't know the full of it.

Not worth giving him the benefit of the doubt here. A vice captain and leader of such a young team should know better.

Zork will turn things around, mentally and football wise. He’s been one of very few reasons to make supporting this team worthwhile in the past few years. How quickly we forget the contributions of players and pile-on when they hit a rough patch. Not exactly the recipe for helping them bounce back. At times like this it’s time to put the support in supporter.

Give him some credit for owning his mistake today.

The bit in bold probably has more to do with the midfield.
To a degree, sure. All goals have to go through the midfield. But when they get to play on from 10m out, I tend to think it's more defensive structuring. I'll be interested to see how my thoughts change (I'm very interested in my own opinion :p) after I watch the replay compared to what I noticed at the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zorko’s dickhead on field behaviour is something that’s accompanied him through his whole career. We ignored it because he was a shining light in a shithouse team.

Now with the way the kids are playing we should be demanding more out of a guy like Zorko. His forms down, he’s continuously doing dumb s**t week in week out that are leading to goals.

He needs to cut it out or he doesn’t belong in the team especially as a leader. I hope the torch gets turned on him this week. He needs a rocket up the arse and bit more in between the ears

Zorko’s dickhead on field behaviour is something that’s accompanied him through his whole career. We ignored it because he was a shining light in a shithouse team.

Now with the way the kids are playing we should be demanding more out of a guy like Zorko. His forms down, he’s continuously doing dumb s**t week in week out that are leading to goals.

He needs to cut it out or he doesn’t belong in the team especially as a leader. I hope the torch gets turned on him this week. He needs a rocket up the arse and bit more in between the ears
I agree with you....up to a point. His behaviour was very poor for the whole game.

One major positive that I don't think has been mentioned was that our defensive set up last night was the best it has been for a long time. As a result, our defenders all had good games! It was also obvious that the defensive group are getting used to playing with each other and getting good cohesion. Or is this just Hodgeys influence? Maybe a bit of everything!

Andrews stayed within 15 meters of his opponent and guess what, he killed Lynch. These young defenders get seduced into being the next Raines or Lever and try and play off their opponents because its currently how the elite defend, but they arnt ready to do do.. last night, he went back to basics and had a blinder.

Surprised at the lack of votes for Christensen. I had him as a clear top 5 player, along with Andrews and Martin (who also has a pretty low total).

I love Bundy but I needed 24 hours to forgive him for the kick on the run that should have either been a shot at goal, a kick toward the goal square to our running forwards advantage or both - instead he kicked it deep into a pocket so the forward couldn't get to it before it went out of bounds, I literally screamed.. we were so on. He has been good though more generally.

Apparently Zorko told Miller to "F*** off" or some variance to that after the game and refused to shake his hand. For a VC to do that sets a terrible example as well as the bad gameplay. Don't have an issue with dropping him next week to set an example, like how Dew did with Hall.
Absolutely, either that or club imposed week off. Sets a tone for the rest of the playing group.

I can definitely see Chris Fagan throwing that during the weekly review.

Will be a successful strategy to get the best out of a player.

10/10 you’ve just revolutionised coaching.

What a management strategy
Sometimes something like that does work. Wouldn't suprise me if before the Dogs game in 2014 Stef was told this was his last chance

Back