Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion - Part 2: Tom Doedee, Rising Star Nominee & Port's New Major Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dougy could've got off as well imo, such was the ambiguity of the head clip.

However a lot of players do end up taking the head. Thomas last week, that infamous May on Stefan Martin Hit, luke hodge x10...

Whereas Burton's bump was all body with a clash of heads. If he were to get suspended for that, you'd need to suspend Danger for his clash of heads with Hartlett (Intentional contact in contest, unintentional contact of heads)

I thought with Douglas's bump that he did not hit the head and it was actually the ground that caused the concussion. If that was the case then you can't suspend Douglas and clear Burton if you want to be consistent.

Showdown in 3 weeks

That's a twilight game though.

I went to the banana showdown last year.

A port life member threatened to assault me which was audible to many other members of the crowd who told him to sit down and shut up. It's the one bad apple spoils the bunch thing for sure, but bloody hell there's a substantive meat-head element.

That's a twilight game though.

I went to the banana showdown last year.

A port life member threatened to assault me which was audible to many other members of the crowd who told him to sit down and shut up. It's the one bad apple spoils the bunch thing for sure, but bloody hell there's a substantive meat-head element.
Yeah I was at that game too, at the craft beer bar just behind banana lady. Heard 2 or 3 people call betts n word during the game, plus 1 bloke threatened to kill a Crows supporter. he was arrested. Was smashed when he turned up and was carrying on all day. I won't be standing near there in a few weeks.

Yeah I was at that game too, at the craft beer bar just behind banana lady. Heard 2 or 3 people call betts n word during the game, plus 1 bloke threatened to kill a Crows supporter. he was arrested. Was smashed when he turned up and was carrying on all day. I won't be standing near there in a few weeks.
We must have been standing near each other.

I saw that guy get carted off. Didn't hear the abuse at Eddie though. We regularly stand there for Port games.

The funniest was the Port v Geelong game in 2016 Paddys first back in Adelaide. Our group standing at the little table that backs into the last row. My mate makes a joke about Paddy leaving us. This old fella sitting in that back row in a skin tight Port jumper gets up and says I am only there to boo Paddy. I said nah just here to watch the footy.

When Paddy takes over the game old fella jump up boos hard and calls Paddy a disloyal traitor.

I lol'd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nah, Zuhar was Dangerous, wasn't really in the play and drove him into the fence.
I disagree, the ball was in play, they were in play, and it was a bump. It was only amplified because they were going flat out. Just because the fences are too close shouldn't suddenly mean that you have to adjust how you play if you are near the boundary line. You think there are any issues with that if it was 20 metres inside the field of play.

I’m not saying the truth will prevail.

I’m saying a person, acting with honesty, does not need to await the evidence before they declare their innocence or guilt as they already know.

Although in this case, he may not have any recollection so can hardly argue he is innocent with any authority.

The principle has nothing to do with whether the accused person "declares their innocence or guilt" or even whether they are acting honestly.

If I've got the events straight here - correct me if I'm wrong - the AFL has investigated, produced a report, and provided only a summary of that report to the club / player. Which is IMO wrong. If you're going to investigate someone's (alleged) actions and sanction them as a result of that investigation, you are obliged - IMO - to provide to that person / their club the full substance of that investigation. It is not enough to say "oh well, if you were innocent and being honest, you wouldn't need to see it" or anything like that. It's not enough to say "but if we give him the evidence he might try to discredit it".

What the person might do with the evidence, or how you think they should be acting in advance of that finding, has nothing to do with the simple principle involved.

Otherwise the body - in this case the AFL Integrity Unit - is just acting as a Star Chamber.

AFL - "We have all the evidence you're guilty in this here report, but you're going to have to trust us because we aren't going to show it to you."
Poort - "WHhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this is an outrage. We need to see this supposed evidence you have!"

meanwhile....

Poort - "We have all this exonerating video evidence showing PickledPepper did nothing wrong, but we can't release it, um, cause.... you're just going to have to trust us ok"

This is the bit I don't get - Port / Koch are claiming there's an exculpatory video? Why was this video not provided to the AFL? (Let's assume for4 the sake of argument that said video actually exists)

I'm not very impressed with the way Port and the AFL have handled this.

Agree. I always thought of the poppies representing Flanders poppies. Used for Remembrance day .A sprig of rosemary is worn on ANZAC day.
Should be Rosemary on ANZAC day as it is found growing wild on the Gallipoli peninsula., also due to the plant being associated with remembrance.
Poppies original were for remembrance day and Veteran day Due to being one of the few plants that thrived on the battlefields of Europe
Also some have mentioned the Poppies on remembrance day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by Canadian physician Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

you are obliged - IMO - to provide to that person / their club the full substance of that investigation. It is not enough to say "oh well, if you were innocent and being honest, you wouldn't need to see it" or anything like that. It's not enough to say "but if we give him the evidence he might try to discredit it".

The AFL act as if they are their own country, with their own laws. But someone in their legal department knows that nothing they do would hold up in a court of law. The last thing they want to do is to provide evidence which can be taken to a real court and be overturned. They quickly made some s**t up to make sure the AFLW suspension thing didn’t go to court as well. It really is a joke of an organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koch threatening legal action against the AFL over SPP.
Excellent - let's see the tape!

Not sure what the problem is - he's not banned, go and play.

Mentally weak? - maybe if they did a preseason camp on the GC, he'd be playing

This fills me with confidence.... I’m front row same bay as banana lady
Shall I invest in a stab vest?

While it's certainly contentious due to the fact that this kid has good heritage, Aussie Rules at the junior level in NSW and QLD is worlds away in standard from footy in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. The AFL has the academy's in Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast to help develop the game and ensure talent isn't being poached and lost to other sports. So as a stand out kid in one of those states, he's gonna get the opportunity to develop in the academy. Do you then prioritise the father/son even though the academy has years of development in that player ?? Or put it back on the clubs to lure the player back to their club and leave the decision in the hands of the player. I think the current arrangement is how it probably has to be.
I disagree with it. I would rather kids get lost to some other sport (what a tragedy, how will we ever recover?) than kids getting unfairly handed on a silver platter to some AFL clubs but not others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back