NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

F*** me, was originally planned for January 2018, then moved back to April-June 2018, then July-September and now we're at January-June 2019.

Nothing but absolute shambles.
Did you get moved to FTTC? All of is that did went to the back of the queue

Even worse, at least if they've changed tech you can rationalise a delay
It's even worse when people less than a km up the road have access to the NBN on one side of you and it's only 1.5kms the other way until you reach where it's available to people on the other side of you.

just gave my modem a reboot, on Telstra Cable still, not NBN
Speed just went up from 40/1 to 60/5

if you are still on Telstra cable and haven't rebooted your modem for a while give it a kick as they seem to have upped the limits

just gave my modem a reboot, on Telstra Cable still, not NBN
Speed just went up from 40/1 to 60/5

if you are still on Telstra cable and haven't rebooted your modem for a while give it a kick as they seem to have upped the limits

Read about it on ozbargain and whirlpool. I think it comes with a catch... you're more likely to get hit with congestion.

Since Friday my speed is now 39 - 55 download and 4.5 or 5.1 upload. Last night it dipped down to 1mb download.. something that hasn't happened in yonks.

Read about it on ozbargain and whirlpool. I think it comes with a catch... you're more likely to get hit with congestion.

Since Friday my speed is now 39 - 55 download and 4.5 or 5.1 upload. Last night it dipped down to 1mb download.. something that hasn't happened in yonks.
Will keep an eye on it either way I was going to have to restart eventually

Can’t get FTTP or anything like that out where I am. I’m not super rural, but rural enough. A fixed wireless tower went up less than 2km from my house (I can see it if I get up on the roof) but I can’t even get signal from it! Too many powerlines and trees inbetween I’m told. Good times.

Can’t get FTTP or anything like that out where I am. I’m not super rural, but rural enough. A fixed wireless tower went up less than 2km from my house (I can see it if I get up on the roof) but I can’t even get signal from it! Too many powerlines and trees inbetween I’m told. Good times.
Who told you?

Have you requested a signal audit?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Think we mad Massive Mistake moving our NBN from Optus to Telstra.

Optus wad NBN25 and we got speed around 6-12mbps but got NBN50 from Telstra and get about 3mbps.

Not Bloody Good Enough

Mine is supposed to come within a month but I'm pretty concerned about it.
It's supposed to be FTTC but we're with Bigpond and holy s**t it's had some awful moments.
I think I'm somewhat far from the exchange, but I'm constantly having the worst ping out of all my friends and have had the worst for years.
I connect at roughly 6-6.5mbps these days, but it has been pretty bad the last month or so.
Dropping to 1-2mbps, getting 300+ ping and then it randomly sorts itself out.
Before that, I was getting maybe up to 7 which is sort of solid but my ping for gaming has always been awful (good for me is mid 80s, they will get low 60s).

Have had multiple issues over the years where they come and "fix the problem" and then it goes to s**t not long after.
They've been to the exchange, outside my house, inside my house and tried to fix it on their end and over the phone.
I admit it was pretty good for a while (download speeds, decent browsing but still poor ping) but now it's sort of gone to s**t again, but with NBN coming I haven't bothered to call them as going through the process can be a nightmare.
I am worried that NBN will be just as bad.
Telstra is a ******* joke, haven't changed due to having a few plans with them which makes it all cheaper, but I'm quite concerned that NBN will just produce the same crap.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine is supposed to come within a month but I'm pretty concerned about it.
It's supposed to be FTTC but we're with Bigpond and holy s**t it's had some awful moments.
I think I'm somewhat far from the exchange, but I'm constantly having the worst ping out of all my friends and have had the worst for years.
I connect at roughly 6-6.5mbps these days, but it has been pretty bad the last month or so.
Dropping to 1-2mbps, getting 300+ ping and then it randomly sorts itself out.
Before that, I was getting maybe up to 7 which is sort of solid but my ping for gaming has always been awful (good for me is mid 80s, they will get low 60s).

Have had multiple issues over the years where they come and "fix the problem" and then it goes to s**t not long after.
They've been to the exchange, outside my house, inside my house and tried to fix it on their end and over the phone.
I admit it was pretty good for a while (download speeds, decent browsing but still poor ping) but now it's sort of gone to s**t again, but with NBN coming I haven't bothered to call them as going through the process can be a nightmare.
I am worried that NBN will be just as bad.
Telstra is a ******* joke, haven't changed due to having a few plans with them which makes it all cheaper, but I'm quite concerned that NBN will just produce the same crap.

What suburb in WA, if you don't mind me asking?

Optus seems alright, would like Optus Sport for the WC and EPL.
Do you guys think 100mbs is worth it/necessary? I'm quite tempted to pay the extra amount, I like how it's unlimited as well.
I play a lot of games online as well, would be lovely to have a decent ping.

Last edited:
Might not get Telstra actually, what's a good company with which to get NBN, in particular for Perth?

I tried Optus and Telstra and I got lot better Speeds with Telstra

I tried Optus and Telstra and I got lot better Speeds with Telstra

Yeah, fair enough.
Just feel like Telstra have put me through enough s**t so I'm wary of going with them at the moment.
Guess it's different everywhere, it's the customer service which may be more consistent than others from each provider.

Yeah, fair enough.
Just feel like Telstra have put me through enough s**t so I'm wary of going with them at the moment.
Guess it's different everywhere, it's the customer service which may be more consistent than others from each provider.

Fair Enough. There are more Companies then just Telstra and Opus that you can get NBN From

Fair Enough. There are more Companies then just Telstra and Opus that you can get NBN From

Yeah, I read that Aussie Broadband are quite good, but it will take a while to get it going in my area, another 5-6 weeks after NBN is available.
Read some average reviews about iiNet and Exetel as well.
Plenty of options available though.

Yeah, I read that Aussie Broadband are quite good, but it will take a while to get it going in my area, another 5-6 weeks after NBN is available.
Read some average reviews about iiNet and Exetel as well.
Plenty of options available though.

Steer clear of TPG and any company owned by TPG - Exetel, iiNET are included in those. Aussie Broadband would likely be worth the wait.

Steer clear of TPG and any company owned by TPG - Exetel, iiNET are included in those. Aussie Broadband would likely be worth the wait.

Yeah, it's probably the leading contender for me at this stage even with the wait. The reviews are hard to ignore and it would be nice to get some local support instead of speaking to overseas support which can happen.
Probably gonna start with the 50mb unlimited plan and maybe go on from there.
Just had such rubbish internet with Telstra I'm expecting poor download speeds and latency, no matter who I went with and that's why I was tempted to get 100mb speeds straight away.

Apparently will be available to order by the end of the week, but doubt it'll be up and running for another month after that if I do go with ABB.

Currently says this about my address:

Please note: we have currently stopped connections in your area due to our policy of not selling above more than 80% of available bandwidth. We don't believe it's fair to sell you a crappy, over-crowded service. We have more bandwidth ordered in your area which we expect to come on board around 2018-05-31.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back