EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much point structuring SANFL if there is no change to the premier league in the state.

Time and again we see ayers "uncovered" from State leagues doing well in the AFL. Plenty would do well in a national state champions league as well

Interesting watching Crows reserves this season. Bad injury list needing tops ups a plenty and performing badly. This will be the case in an AFL reserves comp as top ups would also be needed otherwise you run the risk of players not playing when the injury list is low.

So for the SANFL comp I still feel a national State Champions Legue is the only way to go. Sturt promoted from last season and one other after play offs. AFL listed players ineligible for play offs or the competition meaning a club like Port could have a great SANFL Season but would struggle in play offs.

Time for WA Commission and SA Commission to come together. This comp would force SANFL to consider promotion when the premiers move up to national comp

Loved seeing the Champions League style competition between state Grand Finalists a few years back, which the SANFL boycotted mind you.
It annoyed me that our 4 best SANFL clubs decided not to participate, which left Port to participate, despite finishing 5th.

It should have taken off, but it was poorly promoted + not covered well on Television, for obvious reasons.

I would loved to have seen the SANFL and WAFL get with Optus or Vodafone and do it properly, but they didnt. Get some decent benefactors and a well structured online media format open to all at a good price and you would have a much better accessible format than the AFL has with Foxtel.

A Champions League style of competition is way more interesting than the AFLW for me personally as I enjoy state league competition.

Great step in creating an actual national second division to the AFL

I would loved to have seen the SANFL and WAFL get with Optus or Vodafone and do it properly, but they didnt. Get some decent benefactors and a well structured online media format open to all at a good price and you would have a much better accessible format than the AFL has with Foxtel.

A Champions League style of competition is way more interesting than the AFLW for me personally as I enjoy state league competition.

Great step in creating an actual national second division to the AFL

Absolutely - a second tier competition could include much more than 18 teams.

Imagine three Basketball style Conferences:

1 - SA, NT + WA
2 - QLD, NSW + ACT
3 - VIC + TAS

20 team in each Conference - play each other once 19 rounds + 1 Rivalry Round (to play direct rival twice)

Top 2 of each conference play in a 6 team final series that goes for 3 weeks.
With the Grand Finalists playing a 3 game home + away Grand Final series.
If a 3rd + final decider game is necessary - this game to be played at a mutual ground.

Back