Preview Rd 6 2018 Geelong v Sydney, Saturday April 28, GMBHEIUGED Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the logic of playing Papley in the mids.
He can swap out with parker ...
I'd also like to see Mills and florent play more around the ball..
However on the weekend, the heat was on ..and it seemed no body could get a roll on in the mids.
The pill spent way too much time across HB , either in defence or coming out of defence.
It needs to be rolled forward from stoppages with more gusto
Look at the tiggers . They just roll it forward

We are talking about playing a more attacking game style, not playing players out of position. Papley was drafted as a small forward, and he is good at that, so why are we moving him into a position he is not so good at.
Cause modern teams roll heaps of players through the mids
I'll offer that he is Ok there... bit of tenacity and gusto .
I think florent will flourish with a bit more space .
Its as much our defensive pressure and tackling in the stoppages . The ball is being won too easily by opposing players and been cleared too easily
Needs more contested footy and more dynamic set up

For whatever reason, seeing Papley in the midfield reminds me of the time Paul Roos tried to turn Adam Schneider into a midfielder. I think Papley is great, but it's weird seeing him not play as a small forward.

Now realise what the ignore is for. This place goes to s**t if we lose, you learn a lot about a poster when we do good or bad.

Game plan is average
Mids coaching has taken a dive
Plenty of other crap to whinge and crap on about

What is truly in need of attention is the lack of intensity. We should be laying 60% more tackles. Where is that all out frenzy without the ball that we have become accustomed to? Sure it takes its toll but we have no choice as a dramatic change in gameplan ain’t gonna happen. Coaches had better get these blokes fanatical about pressure again because it’s been five weeks and I’ve seen two quarters of it.

Bring the effort and intensity and it patches all the other s*it up. There’s no substitute for it. Other teams can’t handle it. The swans have relied on it for years. Pretty simple really. I want it back. Now.

28woij.jpg

This image has more effort than i'm willing to provide.

Horse summed it up pretty well in his presser against Crows. It's simple. We need to win the contested ball or we can't start to execute the game plan. If we win the contested ball we'll win this. If not, it sucks and we should be re-jigging our midfield.

See ball. Get ball. Don't give the ball back.

Horse summed it up pretty well in his presser against Crows. It's simple. We need to win the contested ball or we can't start to execute the game plan. If we win the contested ball we'll win this. If not, it sucks and we should be re-jigging our midfield.

See ball. Get ball. Don't give the ball back.
That begins with a dominant ruckman & as hard as Sinclair is trying, His tap outs aren't getting to our mids consistently & we seem to be second guessing. Likewise at any other team that can't win consistent taps.
Goldstein tbe other day smacked McEvoy & the Hawks suffered. Not McEvoys fault but just tgat the mids took a while to adjust.
We were terrible in the whole midfield situation a the game quickly got away from us in 10 minutes of footy.
In the end the 10 point margin was not bad but the horse had bolted in that first 10 minutes.

Mid rotations are critical to success, especially when your gameplan is so dependent upon tackling and contested possessions.

Papley, Mills, Jones, Kizza, Heeney, Lloyd, Parker etc are all either switching fwd or back and through the midfield. I suspect JPK will play more and more fwd in xoming years too

The Dogs, GWS, Hawks and Geel have batted far deeper into their benches in this area in recent years. Sometimes they fielded up to 10 players who could run through the middle while we struggled along with 6.

Richmond basically turned their ruck deficiency last year into an increased midfield and fwd spread.

But all of this only works with a set back six, and a set 3 or 4 fwds.

You can make up for talls with tackles in the fwd 50 (a la Richmond). But ultimately all the good teams have some serious marking targets in their structures.

Without Reid we look underdone in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-24/swans-shock-with-franklin-hannebery-to-miss-cats
"Swans coach John Longmire said the pair could miss multiple matches.

Franklin's issue arose after his side's round one win over West Coast at Optus Stadium, with Longmire admitting that the controversial surface in Perth played a part in the injury.

"I think that can be a reasonable conclusion to draw from that," he said on Tuesday.

"We had the most amount of players we've (ever) had cramp in that game.

"The feedback that we got was that it was pretty firm and out boys were pretty sore afterwards."

That bolded bit is exactly what I heard after the loss to Port Adelaide from 'someone'.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-24/swans-shock-with-franklin-hannebery-to-miss-cats
"Swans coach John Longmire said the pair could miss multiple matches.

Franklin's issue arose after his side's round one win over West Coast at Optus Stadium, with Longmire admitting that the controversial surface in Perth played a part in the injury.

"I think that can be a reasonable conclusion to draw from that," he said on Tuesday.

"We had the most amount of players we've (ever) had cramp in that game.

"The feedback that we got was that it was pretty firm and out boys were pretty sore afterwards."

That bolded bit is exactly what I heard after the loss to Port Adelaide from 'someone'.

Did we go back and train before the Adelaide game?

Now this will be interesting, who replaces Franklin and what will our forward set up look like? We could get smashed or we could do an Adelaide and pull off the win of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back