Jeremy McGovern vs Michael Hurley

Jeremy McGovern or Michael Hurley

• Jeremy McGovern

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • Michael Hurley

Votes: 17 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurley is decent but McGovern for me. Those dukes are amazing. I think he's slightly better at just about everything. Still pretty close though.

McGovern's certainly not a better kick or rebounder, nor does he win anywhere near as much ball. Definitely a way better mark though and he's one of the strongest players around so is better in one on one wrestles.

Offensively Hurley wins comfortably and defensively McGovern wins by a bit.

McGovern the better defensive player. His intercept marking is elite and that's what makes him such a good defender.

Hurley is a better kick and can hurt you going the other way, whilst still being a very solid defender.

Both have their strengths but I would probably go with McGovern as intercept marking can be game changing.

Mcgovern is a very good kick. Has a hurn like kick on him but what lets him down is his decision making and he tend to over do a kick or be too cut. There were two instances on the weekend where it pissed me off.

Mcgovern is a very good kick. Has a hurn like kick on him but what lets him down is his decision making and he tend to over do a kick or be too cut. There were two instances on the weekend where it pissed me off.
Agreed, he takes risky kicks many other players wouldn't try and often it opens up the play. So far this year his decision making has been down but I'll back him in to turn that around.

The notion that Hurley is a better kick or better offensively is rooted in the raw disposal numbers, but so far this year Mcgovern has a 6% higher disposal efficiency despite having a 45:55 contested to uncontested possession ratio, to Hurleys 25:75, and a slightly higher kick to handball ratio. The main differences between the 2 players are that Hurley racks up significantly more uncontested possessions along the halfback line, while Mcgovern takes significantly more contested marks and makes far more 1 percenters than Hurley.

Essendon as a team generally flick the ball around way too much in the back half which can heavily pad a guy like Hurleys disposals. He might get 3-4 touches in a possession chain and the ball has only gone sideways and backwards.
Hurley is fantastic at actually defending though. Clearly in the top 3-4 key defenders in the comp.

Think i'd go Rance -> McGovern -> Hurley but there really isn't much in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back