Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2018 AFL Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

Apparently Hayes was outstanding today according to a poster on our board.

Talent with Hayes was never in question. He would have gone within the first two rounds last year on talent, comfortably.

He needs to improve his application. If he can then you might have someone.

Is really back by the time season starts, worse if it was later in the year really, we all know the kid can play.

With players coming back off the ACL, it takes a year generally to get back, it just takes another year after that to get back to playing good football generally. And being a key forward who would be entering his first season, it would be a year spent in the 2s.

With Lukosius and Max King up the top end, if Brisbane finish bottom two, you've got your key forward.
But with Tozer and Wischnat coming through the academy next year as forwards, and we clearly don't want to move Hipwood back ... wouldn't we end up with too much depth up forward and still a lack of depth/potential A grade talent in the midfield?

But with Tozer and Wischnat coming through the academy next year as forwards, and we clearly don't want to move Hipwood back ... wouldn't we end up with too much depth up forward and still a lack of depth/potential A grade talent in the midfield?

If Brisbane finish last, it's either you take Lukosius or you trade that pick onto someone else to stock up on midfield talent.

While Collingwood fans didn't like the idea when I proposed it. I'd offer Jordan De Goey and Collingwood's first round picks for 2018 and 2019 for pick 1.

Pretty easy way for Brisbane to build a midfield core if satisfied with key position stocks and future academy prospects - and QLD are traditionally pretty good for producing talls, so that could be a possibility. Brisbane might be able to draft a Bailey Smith, Sam Walsh or Connor Rozee with that pick and gain another solid mid or something else in 2019 depending on need.

Otherwise you might be able to do similar with Geelong who could offer their 2018/2019 first round picks and offer a George Horlin-Smith or Nakia Cockatoo.

Knightmare

Who goes #2...LOL

From the start of the preseason it felt like this. Lukosius is the best junior prospect I've seen. No one in my 10 years watching the draft is on Lukosius' level. It's just that simple.

That's just a routine performance from Lukosius.

He could go off for 30, 20 and 10 (disposals/marks/goals) at some stage and I wouldn't be shocked. He's in reality some years away from doing that, but he could go off for a game like that.

If Brisbane finish last, it's either you take Lukosius or you trade that pick onto someone else to stock up on midfield talent.

While Collingwood fans didn't like the idea when I proposed it. I'd offer Jordan De Goey and Collingwood's first round picks for 2018 and 2019 for pick 1.

Pretty easy way for Brisbane to build a midfield core if satisfied with key position stocks and future academy prospects - and QLD are traditionally pretty good for producing talls, so that could be a possibility. Brisbane might be able to draft a Bailey Smith, Sam Walsh or Connor Rozee with that pick and gain another solid mid or something else in 2019 depending on need.

Otherwise you might be able to do similar with Geelong who could offer their 2018/2019 first round picks and offer a George Horlin-Smith or Nakia Cockatoo.

From the start of the preseason it felt like this. Lukosius is the best junior prospect I've seen. No one in my 10 years watching the draft is on Lukosius' level. It's just that simple.

That's just a routine performance from Lukosius.

He could go off for 30, 20 and 10 (disposals/marks/goals) at some stage and I wouldn't be shocked. He's in reality some years away from doing that, but he could go off for a game like that.

It would need afl approval as we are nearly to the point of needing 2 in 4 R1's. As you know .. clubs are really stuck unlike usa ..they can not just do a push trade. GHS has had chances to move and never wanted to... his contract finishes this year so we will see. Cockatoo is interesting. He would perhaps tempt ..if he could get his body right he really could be high end.. and after Charlie , maybe Brisb likes the idea of another talented in system player?

Laughable that he would slide out of the top 10 because of the injury. Letting talented players slide with injuries in their draft year has never ended well case and point Burton and Selwood
People don’t learn from history.

Especially non Victorian teams won’t take the chance on a Vic Metro tall coming off a knee injury with a high pick.

King might be the bargain of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laughable that he would slide out of the top 10 because of the injury. Letting talented players slide with injuries in their draft year has never ended well case and point Burton and Selwood
Yeah because that worked for us re Scharenberg and Freeman...

There're always going to be injury prone players that turn good and those that are a waste of a top 10 pick. Maybe King doesn't fall out of top 10 but he will certainly drop.

Especially non Victorian teams won’t take the chance on a Vic Metro tall coming off a knee injury with a high pick.

Can't remember who said it but someone on some radio yesterday said they spoke to a recruiter about him and said he will still go top 3.

Yeah because that worked for us re Scharenberg and Freeman...

There're always going to be injury prone players that turn good and those that are a waste of a top 10 pick. Maybe King doesn't fall out of top 10 but he will certainly drop.
Difference between injury prone and getting a bad ACL for the first time, it’s an unlucky incedent that shouldn’t go against him in the long term

Can't remember who said it but someone on some radio yesterday said they spoke to a recruiter about him and said he will still go top 3.

He'll probably slide a bit but I'd imagine it would just be to whichever Victorian team finishes above Carlton and Brisbane, e.g. one of the Dogs, Saints or Pies.

Difference between injury prone and getting a bad ACL for the first time, it’s an unlucky incedent that shouldn’t go against him in the long term
Not 100% sure but think that's the exact same situation as Scharenberg, 1 bad ACL and dropped from potential #1 pick to an outside chance of dropping out of top 10.

It's a sign for what's to come.

For every Selwood, Burton, Stringer there is a Freeman, Scharenberg, Menzel

Not 100% sure but think that's the exact same situation as Scharenberg, 1 bad ACL and dropped from potential #1 pick to an outside chance of dropping out of top 10.

It's a sign for what's to come.

For every Selwood, Burton, Stringer there is a Freeman, Scharenberg, Menzel

From memory scharenberg was a top pick consideration when there was no real concensus on who the top picks were. I certainly don’t believe he was ever thought of as highly as max King has been

He'll probably slide a bit but I'd imagine it would just be to whichever Victorian team finishes above Carlton and Brisbane, e.g. one of the Dogs, Saints or Pies.
With Boyd and Schache on our list and a KPDs set for a decade we might be in the same boat as Brisbane and would target a smaller player / mid.
Assuming you guys go for a mid which I suspect is likely given how much tall talent you seem to have.

With Boyd and Schache on our list and a KPDs set for a decade we might be in the same boat as Brisbane and would target a smaller player / mid.
Assuming you guys go for a mid which I suspect is likely given how much tall talent you seem to have.

I think there's enough questions over Boyd and Schache that you wouldn't necessarily want to look a gift horse in the mouth too hard if you fall in that 4-6 range.

I also don't think the Lions have enough tall talent - we've got a bunch of talls but a lot of them are question marks. Andrews is brilliant, Hipwood is very good but still has some significant question marks as to whether he can be that true #1 KPF, Gardiner is solid defensively but doesn't have a heap of other strings and then we start getting into guys who are more potential than reality. A Luky break (ha. ha.) would be more than welcome for example.

I think there's enough questions over Boyd and Schache that you wouldn't necessarily want to look a gift horse in the mouth too hard if you fall in that 4-6 range.

I also don't think the Lions have enough tall talent - we've got a bunch of talls but a lot of them are question marks. Andrews is brilliant, Hipwood is very good but still has some significant question marks as to whether he can be that true #1 KPF, Gardiner is solid defensively but doesn't have a heap of other strings and then we start getting into guys who are more potential than reality. A Luky break (ha. ha.) would be more than welcome for example.
If Lukosius was available we'd jump, ditto a mid-sizer.
If Hately becomes that gun forward-mid type and improves during the year we'd jump at that too - it's the 200cm mark/kick type forward we'd have less of a pressing need for, given we have so many talls at Footscray VFL we struggle to develop anyone properly now.

Don't Brisbane have two promising academy tall kids next year comign through as well?

Don't Brisbane have two promising academy tall kids next year comign through as well?

It's really hard to predict academy kids going into their draft year, let alone a year out. I'm not banking on any of those one way or another.

Hey KM,
What do you think of sunny brazier from the northern knights. Hes part of Carlton’s NGA (isn’t he??) and could be picked up this year. Where would you likely place him??

From memory scharenberg was a top pick consideration when there was no real concensus on who the top picks were. I certainly don’t believe he was ever thought of as highly as max King has been
Pretty sure he was labelled as the best teenage footballer since Wayne Corey by Mark Williams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back