Review Round 5, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tagging part of the game and providing they play within the rules all good IMO. Problem is that tagging isn't scrutinised often and repeat infringements are ignored in many games every week. Zorks should have been given several free's early on. Suffice to say that If they were awarded to him early, Miller would have been forced to tone his scragging significantly. Understand Zork's being pissed off 100%.

That's the other option. If the umpires let it go it's basically a big sign saying "anything goes this game". If they pull it up early and consistently (like they tend to on the likes of Selwood, Dangerfield or other Brownlow contenders) it becomes a lot harder.

That or the free and 50 to May against Berry for being punched in the throat. I still don't understand how that became a free against, let alone a 50 penalty on top of it.

The umpire missed the contact to Berry. I'm 99% certain that's what happened there.

Unfortunately our lowly rated fixtures attract umpires that just scrape into the squad.

Worth noting that Schmitt, who was at the forefront of Sunday's umpiring debacle was also the emergency umpire for the 2016 grand final.

Worth noting that Schmitt, who was at the forefront of Sunday's umpiring debacle was also the emergency umpire for the 2016 grand final.
Stocks with the umps go up and down by the week,that was a fair while ago.

Harris's confidence levels are just fine regardless of him being awarded player of the round or not. (although I agree he deserves it as he was our best by a long way) Despite some of our fickle & short sighted supporters who often say rubbish on social media when a player doesn't live up to their expectations, Harris is tracking nicely thus far this season. More importantly Harris doesn't take social media criticism seriously and really only listens to the people that matter when it comes to his footy. Very good young man Harris Andrews. Our next club captain IMO.
Couldn't agree more but did think his confidence was down a bit after dropping a few marks in first few games he usually swallows. Anyway we on same page regarding his importance. In fact I have brainwashed my 7 year old to yell Harris every time he does something in play.

De Boer tags

He's not a dedicated tagger by any means. He plays a pressure forward role mainly, though he's been pushing into the middle a bit with Kelly and Scully out and Whitfield moved down back.

While we are a crap side, we'll always get the crap umpires.

Very interesting discussion last night in "On the Couch" re so-called full time professionals, emanating from the across the board illustration of extremely poor kicking for goal.

Roos said that far from being full- time, AFL players are way from fitting this description, and their working week in fact provides little time to work on basic skills.

Which might go some way to explaining McStay's appalling kicking, Bell's lack of tackling technique, Walker's inability to stick a mark, Martin's inability to effectively kick or handball etc etc. We could work our way through our entire side.

And just generally, our entire side's crap ability to pick up anything below their knees, stick anything but perfectly delivered handball, keep their feet in a contest, etc etc. Note to our myriad coaching staff- get video of Rory Sloan. Distribute to players. Study. Repeat. Then repeat again.

While we are a crap side, we'll always get the crap umpires.

Very interesting discussion last night in "On the Couch" re so-called full time professionals, emanating from the across the board illustration of extremely poor kicking for goal.

Roos said that far from being full- time, AFL players are way from fitting this description, and their working week in fact provides little time to work on basic skills.

Which might go some way to explaining McStay's appalling kicking, Bell's lack of tackling technique, Walker's inability to stick a mark, Martin's inability to effectively kick or handball etc etc. We could work our way through our entire side.

And just generally, our entire side's crap ability to pick up anything below their knees, stick anything but perfectly delivered handball, keep their feet in a contest, etc etc. Note to our myriad coaching staff- get video of Rory Sloan. Distribute to players. Study. Repeat. Then repeat again.
Dans kicking for goal on Sunday was a combination of a little fatigue & a brain fart. Nothing else. If he needs practice to improve his kicking skills in those 3 situations, he definitely needs to go back into a defending role and never venture into our forward 50 again.

Dans kicking for goal on Sunday was a combination of a little fatigue & a brain fart. Nothing else. If he needs practice to improve his kicking skills in those 3 situations, he definitely needs to go back into a defending role and never venture into our forward 50 again.

Agree about his goal kicking. He’d kicked 31.11 before last game which is excellent. I think he deserves a run in the forward line. He looked really dangerous. Similar to his defending though he has to learn how to play smarter.

Not that the 2016 grand final can be used as a gold standard for officiation, mind. #freekickbulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos went on to say that recruits were turning up at clubs with poor skills.
I know the under 14’s I coached last year, with a few exceptions couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn on their good side.
We used to try and get them to use the opposite side of their body and they would give up after two attempts.

Roos went on to say that recruits were turning up at clubs with poor skills.
I know the under 14’s I coached last year, with a few exceptions couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn on their good side.
We used to try and get them to use the opposite side of their body and they would give up after two attempts.

Elite kicking & ball skills are developed from repetition. Repeat over & over again. There is no other easy out.

Agree about his goal kicking. He’d kicked 31.11 before last game which is excellent. I think he deserves a run in the forward line. He looked really dangerous. Similar to his defending though he has to learn how to play smarter.
Yeah he had an off day, McStay would have to be one of the best set shots on our list tbh (not that there's much competition in that regard).

Yeah he had an off day, McStay would have to be one of the best set shots on our list tbh (not that there's much competition in that regard).
With that being said, I'm interested to know who is a bad set shot on our list? Or do you mean we don't score many goals on game day so goal kickers are scarce?

Barrett is a bad set shot.
I guess that means we are kinda lucky taking into account he hasn't played seniors as yet.;)
I can't really pick out any players on our list that I can say are not much chop at set shots.(Maybe Stef) I do know that Cutler has kicked the ball out of bounds more than anyone else on our list...not a nice stat to be leading for sure. The boys do keep him alert of that one but. lol.

With that being said, I'm interested to know who is a bad set shot on our list? Or do you mean we don't score many goals on game day so goal kickers are scarce?

Stef Martin.

Not sure about Bundy or Rich. Zorko is pretty bad. Lester misses a few. I think Squizzy misses a few.

Charlie Cameron has been reliable this season. Bastinac was great last season. Not sure if there’s anybody I’m all that confident about.

Watched Starcevich kick a great goal in the twos

And from what I've read here Ballenden is an elite kick - not sure what his goal stats are

I always thought Schmidt was a pretty decent umpire. Not immune to error but neverthelees, as fair as any of them.

So I'm completely mystified as to his performance on Sunday. Seemed like he had taken a set against us for the night, in particular Zorko.

Considering Miller got done for misconduct and by his own admission, spent the night "hitting" Zorko, it seems odd that our bloke coudn't get even one free but was done on no less 6 occasions

Back