2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would probably get 3-4k more if were played on a Saturday, pretty hard for traveling Pies fans to front up on a Sunday especially with the late start.
Every game could do better if it were the best time and the best weather and both teams in best form. Unfortunately you cant have all games set up perfectly so no point always finding a reason to explain the crowd could have been better.

Just had a look at Sydney's SCG crowds from 2015 to now.

8 Friday nights at an average of 36,339 (including 38,498 vs North in 2016)
9 Saturday twilights at an average of 34,696
6 Saturday nights at an average of 31,319
What's you conclusion from that?

What's you conclusion from that?
Could be useful information for the future, like round 9 against Fremantle, for example. Seems reasonable to anticipate a figure closer to thirty thousand than forty for that match.

Official crowd: 25,496 at Etihad Stadium

Not unexpected with how the Saints are going.

Unfortunately next weekend two of the potentially high drawing matchups of Nth v Rich (Docklands) and Coll v Geel (MCG) are on Mothers day with the latter being a twilight game.

Official crowd: 25,496 at Etihad Stadium

Not unexpected with how the Saints are going.

Unfortunately next weekend two of the potentially high drawing matchups of Nth v Rich (Docklands) and Coll v Geel (MCG) are on Mothers day with the latter being a twilight game.

Coll/Geel isn't twilight. It's 3:20pm. There's no twilight game next week because of Mother's Day. They've squeezed another game on Saturday.

Best Gabba crowd for the Lions in 2 years but also their lowest home crowd v the Pies since 1998.

Unless they have a remarkable turnaround in form, can’t see the Lions breaking 20k at the Gabba again this season.

Best Gabba crowd for the Lions in 2 years but also their lowest home crowd v the Pies since 1998.

Unless they have a remarkable turnaround in form, can’t see the Lions breaking 20k at the Gabba again this season.

You clearly didn’t watch that match if you are doubtful of a potential “remarkable turnaround in form”

Every game could do better if it were the best time and the best weather and both teams in best form. Unfortunately you cant have all games set up perfectly so no point always finding a reason to explain the crowd could have been better.
I was just pointing that Collingwood fans do travel and in great numbers, but being a Sunday twilight game is without doubt the worst possible timeslot for travelling fans.

It's a twilight game, the sun sets in the third quarter
Pretty sure it’s classified as day.

Personally i think the 320 game should be 300 on the dot. Will allow 20 mins of post game coverage before the news.

Collingwood's games in Queensland continue to be relative bonanzas for the home teams.

Brisbane get a 39% increase in crowds for Collingwood games (2010 onwards)
GC get a 48% increase in crowds for Collingwood games.

Don't know which factor has the most say: a lot of travelling fans, a lot of Pies ex-pats in Qld, and more interest from the locals.

Personally i think the 320 game should be 300 on the dot. Will allow 20 mins of post game coverage before the news.

Unfortunately, Channel 7 see that as twenty minutes for people to switch off or over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge vs Hawthorn on a Sunday arvo in a couple of weeks should be 20+

You clearly didn’t watch that match if you are doubtful of a potential “remarkable turnaround in form”

Agreed. After watching that game, probably the game of the year so far, Brisbane could win 8-9 out of their last 15 and it would not surprise me in the slightest. They could draw a few more 20K crowds this year if they continue to play like that.

Hodge vs Hawthorn on a Sunday arvo in a couple of weeks should be 20+

The last Brisbane Lions v Hawthorn GABBA game got 23,961 in 2016 - the Hawks first Gabba game in 8 years. Not sure how the Sunday game will draw but Hawthorn does have a substantial fan base in SEQ (a throw back to the Dunstall years). From my experience in Queensland it’s quite comparable to the big 4 Vic clubs plus Adelaide.

Will be interesting to see what the 5-2 Hawks v 4-3 Swans draw on Friday Night. The last 5 years of MCG home and away fixtures have drawn...

2017 - Hawthorn (7-1-9) def Sydney (10-7) 52,181
2016 - Sydney (6-2) def Hawthorn (6-2) 61,882
2015 - Sydney (5-2) def Hawthorn (4-3) 63,319
2014 - Hawthorn (15-5) def Sydney (16-4) 72,768
2013 - Hawthorn (5-1) def Sydney (5-1) 54,785

Hawthorn attendances are extremely variable but the games against Sydney and Geelong are the games that draw crowds befitting it’s membership. Allowing for fine weather surely it should match and exceed last years mid winter attendance.

Last edited:
The last Brisbane Lions v Hawthorn GABBA game got 23,961 in 2016 - the Hawks first Gabba game in 8 years. Not sure how the Sunday game will draw but Hawthorn does have a substantial fan base in SEQ (a throw back to the Dunstall years). From my experience in Queensland it’s quite comparable to the big 4 Vic clubs plus Adelaide.

Will be interesting to see what the 5-2 Hawks v 4-3 Swans draw on Friday Night. The last 5 years of MCG home and away fixtures have drawn...

2017 - Hawthorn (7-1-9) def Sydney (10-7) 52,181
2016 - Sydney (6-2) def Hawthorn (6-2) 61,882
2015 - Sydney (5-2) def Hawthorn (4-3) 63,319
2014 - Hawthorn (15-5) def Sydney (16-4) 72,768
2013 - Hawthorn (5-1) def Sydney (5-1) 54,785

Hawthorn attendances are extremely variable but the games against Sydney and Geelong are the games that draw crowds befitting it’s membership. Allowing for fine weather surely it should match and exceed last years mid winter attendance.
43k if Buddy plays. 36k if not.

43k if Buddy plays. 36k if not.

So potentially 16,000 less then the mid winter game last year (despite the vastly improved fortunes of both teams)?

Hawthorn v Sydney have been steady drawers to Melbourne fixtures...

2007 - Sydney (5-5) def Hawthorn (7-3) 48,398
2008 - Hawthorn (12-2) def Sydney (9-1-4) 49,529
2009 - Hawthorn (4-6) def Sydney (5-5) 44,464
2010 - Hawthorn (3-6) def Sydney (5-4) 36,007

The average over those 8 games (since 2007) is 54,851. Before 2007 there were some crummy 25,000 to 35,000 attendances. I would expect something close to the average on Friday Night

Last edited:
We can always hope for more but I was very happy with the Richmond V Fremantle crowd. It would have been great to have been closer to 50K but it seems that somewhere in the mid 40s is the ceiling for Freo's visits to Victoria.

Decent crowds all round this week. I was most impressed with the Bomber's turnout all things considered. I suspect the Dismal Dons V Baleful Blues basement head to head will draw more than many are suspecting. Both clubs are holding up well in the circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back