Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Whateley needs to move to breakfast to discuss topical events such as is. Wasted at 9am slot.

They might think to have him start at 8.30am, but it actually takes time and research to run his programme compared to breakfast, where they pretty much just rock up with a coffee, read the news streams and chat rooms and go 'whoa - whadya' think of this?"

As pretentious as he is, Whateley has been a big asset for the station this week in covering the cricket ball tampering saga. Big advantage to have someone who knows the sport well instead of a footy type who knows only superficial facts about it.

True. KB would be too busy indulging Denham's waffle or crapping on about that warmest/coolest pub in Richmond.

It reminds me of the time Seven let the late Brian Naylor go to Nine in 1977. Naylor led Nine to a very long period of domination on the 6pm news ratings. In retrospect, the ABC should've fought a lot harder to keep Gerard Whateley on the network, because AAA+ commentators like Whateley are extremely hard to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not knowing details of course the ABC may not have the chequebook to keep him or the other projects he loves to do eg; Superbowl

Don’t forget your Taylor Swift references in correspondence for Gerard

....especially off the back of Peter Gordon saying “Haters going to hate” in response to questions and observations people have about a putrid Bulldogs performance last weekend that had nothing to do with people hating them and everything to do with 6 months training to be awful

As pretentious as he is, Whateley has been a big asset for the station this week in covering the cricket ball tampering saga. Big advantage to have someone who knows the sport well instead of a footy type who knows only superficial facts about it.
This is the first time since he started that my radio has been fixed on SEN in the mornings. He has been great this week and his contacts and reputation dramatically improves the quality of interviewees. No more Greg Venom Denham thank goodness

Lehmo sounds like he is eating a big dose of humble pie everytime he announces his full name on the ABC Grandstand and ditto Francis Leach on ABC News Radio.

Was surprised to turn on my ANZAC day 774 footy and found Lehmo on there. I thought I’d tuned into the wrong station.

He’s a left field choice to replace Whately but I don’t mind him. He’s toned down nicely for the national broadcaster.

After being a pretty faithful & constant SEN listener for years, I haven’t tuned in at all during 2018. Part of this is a conscious decision to rein in my footy obesession a little, but it’s been easy to let it go. I listen to podcasts, music and fall asleep to the dulcet tones of Philip Adams on Radio National. Beats the ramblings of Stephen J Peake.

After being a pretty faithful & constant SEN listener for years, I haven’t tuned in at all during 2018. Part of this is a conscious decision to rein in my footy obesession a little, but it’s been easy to let it go. I listen to podcasts, music and fall asleep to the dulcet tones of Philip Adams on Radio National. Beats the ramblings of Stephen J Peake.
From SEN to Radio National - that has got to be a first!

One of the curious things about Whateley’s program is that he has as a regular talking about cricket Robert Craddock, who I would regard as a dull tabloid hack

Contrast this with Schwarz & Allen who had as a regular Gideon Haigh, widely regarded as the best cricket writer in Australia. While Haigh could be a bit pretentious imo, he is certainly one of the most thoughtful voices on cricket and is always more interesting than what Craddock provides.

It’s curious because considering Whateley & Schwarz/Allen’s personas, you’d think the two cricket journos would belong on the other program.

I actually think one of the problems with Whateley’s show is the regulars he has on; a lot of them just don’t seem that interesting. Stephen Quartermain as a regular? Heard enough of him from his self-righteous footy commentary on 10 and his boring stints on ‘The Panel’ to last a lifetime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No bump in the second ratings survey. At some point Gerard needs to stop going on junkets and start bedding down his show.

Was surprised to turn on my ANZAC day 774 footy and found Lehmo on there. I thought I’d tuned into the wrong station.

He’s a left field choice to replace Whately but I don’t mind him. He’s toned down nicely for the national broadcaster.

I heard Lehmo hosting the 774 pre-match broadcast on Saturday. He's a good fit - but then I've always felt he's a better presenter than comedian, so it seems to me a more natural move than most would have considered.

I actually think one of the problems with Whateley’s show is the regulars he has on; a lot of them just don’t seem that interesting. Stephen Quartermain as a regular? Heard enough of him from his self-righteous footy commentary on 10 and his boring stints on ‘The Panel’ to last a lifetime.
I suspect Quartermain mentored Gerard back in his c10 days so now GW is doing his bit to arrest SQ's slide into irrelevance. Totally agree though: Quartermain is a loathsome creature who has zero credibility as a sports journo and even less as a news anchor.

I suspect Quartermain mentored Gerard back in his c10 days so now GW is doing his bit to arrest SQ's slide into irrelevance. Totally agree though: Quartermain is a loathsome creature who has zero credibility as a sports journo and even less as a news anchor.

That's a good observation, which probably explains why he has Barrie Cassidy on as a regular it seems from his ABC days. Sure, Cassidy does well as a political host but why is he regularly appearing weekly on SEN? Can't see that appealing to SEN's potential audience at all.

What is his agenda on this crusade on saving the AFL from itself?

Clearly it is to improve his terrible ratings and battle for relevancy.

Leave the game alone you fool
I've liked Gerard in the past, but this current agenda about 'fixing the game' is getting on my nerves as well.

Amazing how in the first two rounds everyone was celebrating the 'return of the full forward' and fast forward a month later, and everyone in the media is whining about the game again.

The game is of course not without its flaws, but it's far from a terrible product either.

One of the curious things about Whateley’s program is that he has as a regular talking about cricket Robert Craddock, who I would regard as a dull tabloid hack

Contrast this with Schwarz & Allen who had as a regular Gideon Haigh, widely regarded as the best cricket writer in Australia. While Haigh could be a bit pretentious imo, he is certainly one of the most thoughtful voices on cricket and is always more interesting than what Craddock provides.

It’s curious because considering Whateley & Schwarz/Allen’s personas, you’d think the two cricket journos would belong on the other program.

Whateley needs to feel he's the smartest person in the room, hence he teams up with Robbo. Haigh would run rings around him.

Speaking of Gerard Whateley, will he be a part of Fox Sports cricket coverage this summer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back