The what if thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Made a thread on membrey and his poor kicking and costing the saints on sat night. It got deleted. They mentioned him on the couch tonight lol. They must be following me fox footy because the state of the game got mentioned too amongst other things.

Macpotata the footy journalist

Rory Atkins doesn’t try to take advantage after Tex’s free kick around 20 minutes into last year’s GF.

We were looking at another forward entry to try and build our lead further. Instead he picks up the ball gets pinged for holding it - the ball goes back the other way and we *never* had any momentum for the rest of the game.

Rory Atkins doesn’t try to take advantage after Tex’s free kick around 20 minutes into last year’s GF.

We were looking at another forward entry to try and build our lead further. Instead he picks up the ball gets pinged for holding it - the ball goes back the other way and we *never* had any momentum for the rest of the game.
Not a bad call that one. I believe that was just after Jack had just missed 3 shots in close succession, if you’d have gotten a goal on the back of that it would’ve been a long road back.
Potentially a 12 point swing as well, as we kicked our first about 30sec later, and never really seemed to lose the momentum after that.

There is the other more realistic option...

They will keep changing the rules until eventually they end up being exactly how they were to begin with.

The way of big business and corporate restructuring....

This was the turning point for me. Doesn't get discussed much but it had me fuming at the time.

Seems strange because it didn’t cost us anything, but Henry Playfair has possession of the ball with about 15 seconds to play in round 21 2007. Geelong had come from 6-7 goals down against Port in a game of fairly little consequence.
We were leading by a point or so, playfair looks around like a deer in headlights and gets tackled, coughs it up and cassisi kicks a goal to win the game.

That loss interrupted streaks of 15, and 11 wins. If the deadshit just kicked the f***ing thing, we win 27 straight and 51 out of 53.

or geelong go into the finals on a massive win streak and buckle under the weight of expectation... i think that loss came at the perfect time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what if david hickinbotham had centred the ball in the dying minutes of rd 3, 1885 instead of going for the miracle roller along the ground from the boundary? losing that game completely sucked the momentum from geelongs season. if he hits up a target, geelong probably go on to win the flag, and the 4 in 5 years between 1882-86 becomes 5 in a row.

still angry about it 133 years later.

What if Bomber Thompson just retired after leaving Geelong.
  1. No Dank at the bombers
  2. Bomber probably wouldnt be in so much s**t as he is in right now
  3. Hird would probably still be coach

Seems strange because it didn’t cost us anything, but Henry Playfair has possession of the ball with about 15 seconds to play in round 21 2007. Geelong had come from 6-7 goals down against Port in a game of fairly little consequence.
We were leading by a point or so, playfair looks around like a deer in headlights and gets tackled, coughs it up and cassisi kicks a goal to win the game.

That loss interrupted streaks of 15, and 11 wins. If the deadshit just kicked the f***ing thing, we win 27 straight and 51 out of 53.

Had Geelong won that game against Port then it would have been what the_big_sav said.

- wc finish 2nd on % and host port instead of other way
- more then likely win and cousins not do hammy
- week off to freshen up then play north at home in prelim instead of extra time final and run out of legs
- play geelong in their 3rd grand final in a row and have judd fresher considering week off and light prelim vs north. grand final hardened team vs cats probably wouldnt of been 117

Stuff the winning streak. Losing that game probably helped us win the premiership.

I have always felt that most likely the Dogs would have won as playing later was oddly advantageous since the fine weather was returning so that playing on the rainy Friday was if anything a disadvantage. It could easily have set the Bulldogs up for a back-to-back premiership in 1998 with that momentum – they certainly possessed the talent to do back-to-back and even threaten a hat-trick (although North and Essendon would likely have had too much momentum).
That led me to think, what if the clubs had been allotted different country zones in the draw done in 1968??

Whilst there are a very large number of “what-ifs” regarding the draw for country zones that would take its own forum and a lot of thinking to discuss, suffice to say that if Melbourne had been allotted a good zone they would likely have re-established themselves as a League power in the 1970s and held themselves against the financial and social changes of the 1980s, and remained a power like Hawthorn actually did. It’s even possible that Melbourne could have stayed a power after country zoning for a longer period than Hawthorn did, but one would need far more analysis than I can provide in a short post.

Zones were introduced to counter Melbourne dominance, there was no way the VFL would let them get a decent zone

Not a bad call that one. I believe that was just after Jack had just missed 3 shots in close succession, if you’d have gotten a goal on the back of that it would’ve been a long road back.
Potentially a 12 point swing as well, as we kicked our first about 30sec later, and never really seemed to lose the momentum after that.

this is a good call - once we went the other way and score we settled our nerve. Had you gone forward and kicked another that old chestnut "scoreboard pressure" would have really become relevant

What if the AFL used even one ounce of foresight and had the guts to cap interchange 10 years ago...

We'd probably be seeing more one on one contests and more 70+ goal seasons by players.

I can point out the problem here if you would like.... :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back