List Mgmt. Scott Lycett - is he good enough to be a #1 ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Slyce knows that his best footy is with us, and later in the year we'll see a long-term deal tying him west for the remainder of his career. Sure he could be number one elsewhere, but I dunno if that's where his best footy is.

Watch the team song vid this week and tell me if there's a more passionate bloke singing along.
When you’re born on the day that WCE win their first flag (26/09/92), how could you end up at any other club?

Think Slyce knows that his best footy is with us, and later in the year we'll see a long-term deal tying him west for the remainder of his career. Sure he could be number one elsewhere, but I dunno if that's where his best footy is.

Watch the team song vid this week and tell me if there's a more passionate bloke singing along.
Agreed, having the chance to play as the other ruck with Nic would extend his career and efficiency.

With fully fit lists, Lycett would still be the #1 ruck at GWS, Geelong, Dogs, St Kilda & Essendon, possibly Carlton as well if Kruez went back forward. He didn't dominate against them on the weekend but I reckon of all those teams GWS would be the best fit, he would provide a quality ruck as well as the contested ball, tackling, enforcer presence that they are missing. I mentioned Lycett and our future 1st rounder for Coniglio in the trade thread as a win-win for both clubs (it was pointed out that we can't trade our future 1st though because of the pick swap last year).

Ive posted the same thing Chad;i think GWS would win a flag with lycett.Hes Mumme with talent.Anyone looking to trade this bloke must have rocks in their head.NN is hard at it but not cut in the hardman role.Lycett is not as skillful as NN but is definitely our tough guy.At last years GF show I was taking cartons on WC being top four for one reason;[er..two actually ] NN and Lycett.Barring injury we were getting back the most potent one/two ruck combo i think i can remember seeing in the AFL.

Ive posted the same thing Chad;i think GWS would win a flag with lycett.Hes Mumme with talent.Anyone looking to trade this bloke must have rocks in their head.NN is hard at it but not cut in the hardman role.Lycett is not as skillful as NN but is definitely our tough guy.At last years GF show I was taking cartons on WC being top four for one reason;[er..two actually ] NN and Lycett.Barring injury we were getting back the most potent one/two ruck combo i think i can remember seeing in the AFL.
I would trade Lyce to GWS for their best two mids.:)

2012 Coxanui combo was pretty potent. All-Australian selectors may have agreed.

2012 Coxanui combo was pretty potent. All-Australian selectors may have agreed.
Actually thats a good comparision/question?? Id certainly take todays NN over 2012s NN. In earlier days Cox was suited to the more open style of footy and would probably have run Lycett into the ground, but in todays footy i think Lycett would smash Cox who was not exactly renown for his physicallity.WCE have long had a policy of taking a potentially good big bloke over a smaller version.Shhh dont mention Partington!!

Both Nic and coxy kicked 20 plus goals in 2012. This year lycett and nic have kicked only a few in 8 games

We got beaten in the clearances on Saturday basically because Nic was not there. Hitouts we also got smashed, Lycett is good around the ball but like Nic doesn't give us a lot around the ground in general play

Actually thats a good comparision/question?? Id certainly take todays NN over 2012s NN. In earlier days Cox was suited to the more open style of footy and would probably have run Lycett into the ground, but in todays footy i think Lycett would smash Cox who was not exactly renown for his physicallity.WCE have long had a policy of taking a potentially good big bloke over a smaller version.Shhh dont mention Partington!!

Let’s not forget there’s no third-man up now. And Cox circa 2011-12 was taking games by the scruff of the neck in a way that Lycett, as good as he’s playing right now, is yet to achieve

Both Nic and coxy kicked 20 plus goals in 2012. This year lycett and nic have kicked only a few in 8 games

We got beaten in the clearances on Saturday basically because Nic was not there. Hitouts we also got smashed, Lycett is good around the ball but like Nic doesn't give us a lot around the ground in general play

No JK forced those two to rest at FF to good effect for about 38 goals from memory.

You’re seriously forgetting how good Cox was. Absolute gun in his prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett would not smash Cox. Lycett would have no breath left from having to tail Cox all day. Cox would also be getting a bajillion hit outs. Lycett is good but Cox is the GOAT ruck

Cox tapwork was much better than he's generally credited with. Naitanui's is the best I've seen but Cox was right up there in his ruck craft, the stuff he did around the ground was just a massive bonus on top of that.

He worked hard from where he started and reaped the benefits. 6x AA or something like that.

Cox tapwork was much better than he's generally credited with. Naitanui's is the best I've seen but Cox was right up there in his ruck craft, the stuff he did around the ground was just a massive bonus on top of that.

He worked hard from where he started and reaped the benefits. 6x AA or something like that.
well lets even up the debate.How good would NN and Lycett to a lesser extent; be regarded if they were tapping to Cuz,Judd,Kerr etc

Actually Lycett is probably more skillful than Naitanui in conventional aspects of the game like marking on the lead, kicking, bouncing ect... Naitanui is just a freak by hand and the most skilled tap ruckmen.

If Lycett was rucking in the number one role he's probably be close to Grundy and Martin for clearances per game. His follow up work and defensive pressure is top notch.

Last edited:
LOL at Lycett ragdolling Cox. I don't think i have seen Lycett ragdolling any good decent ruckmen at AFL level. He may get the job done and will win effective hit outs against them but i he doesn't physically dominate them (well yet).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back