Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, such a good game.

I have had a moment of gaming liberation and started a new XCOM2 game NOT in iron man mode. While I don't save scum every turn or even mission, I have had too may false starts, especially in War of The Chosen that can punish you if you make a poor decision early.

It's hard to maintain save discipline in turned based games like XCom.

*chance to hit 92 percent*

*misses*

"oh piss off!"

*reload*

;)

It's hard to maintain save discipline in turned based games like XCom.

*chance to hit 92 percent*

*misses*

"oh piss off!"

*reload*

;)
I hate those moments but live with them. It's the "I've just ****ed up the mission with the really important character voiced by a Star Trek alumni and wiped because I got bogged down in a fire fight instead of blowing a hole in the back wall and running away. Crap. RESTART THE GAME" moments that made me switch.
I'm fine with restarting an iron man in a Paradox game because that's just how they roll, but XCOM is such a time investment and the early game so samey that I can't stand the loss.

Yes. ....yes.

my new housemate is a serious tech head with all the latest gadgets and BiS computer stuff. Has the top tier VR + VR Skyrim and it is ******* amazing. I only 'went in' for like 15 minutes as I started to feel a bit nauseous but damn it was immersive. Thought this VR stuff was a fad but I can't see it dying off like the 3D TV hype a few years back.

my new housemate is a serious tech head with all the latest gadgets and BiS computer stuff. Has the top tier VR + VR Skyrim and it is ******* amazing. I only 'went in' for like 15 minutes as I started to feel a bit nauseous but damn it was immersive. Thought this VR stuff was a fad but I can't see it dying off like the 3D TV hype a few years back.

You need to try some of the stuff created specifically for VR next. Try Space Pirate Trainer, Superhot VR, Tilt Brush or Rez Infinite (The Area X mode is mind blowing).

The nausea in Skyrim is from the smooth motion, your eyes are telling your brain that you are walking but your inner ears aren’t sensing any motion, textbook car sickness. Most people get over it eventually but for now if you switch to teleport mode you should be fine.

And yeah, VR is no fad, it’s just going to get better, more refined and less of a technical hurdle.

Last edited:
I'm very late on the Stardew Valley bandwagon...but I doubt I'll be getting off any time soon! Trying to woo Harvey at the moment (he's the cute, older, lonely type which I tend to go for...it's totally just a game). I love how all these titles are coming out on the Switch, it's such a versatile little console and I LOVE it. Can't wait for Crash Bandicoot to come out (and hopefully Sypro makes it to the Switch too, I'm buying it for my sister on the PS4).

I've completely given up on Breath of the Wild. Too hard for me.

I'm very late on the Stardew Valley bandwagon...but I doubt I'll be getting off any time soon! Trying to woo Harvey at the moment (he's the cute, older, lonely type which I tend to go for...it's totally just a game). I love how all these titles are coming out on the Switch, it's such a versatile little console and I LOVE it. Can't wait for Crash Bandicoot to come out (and hopefully Sypro makes it to the Switch too, I'm buying it for my sister on the PS4).

I've completely given up on Breath of the Wild. Too hard for me.

Stardew Valley is incredible. Put ridiculous hours into the PC version.

Stardew Valley is incredible. Put ridiculous hours into the PC version.

The only reason I'm posting right now is because my Switch is low on battery and I really hate using my TV. Once that battery is charged I'll disappear back to Pelican Town.

So ends my first in-game year of Stardew Valley.

"Sweet" thinks I. "I can plant lots of veggies in spring and make lots of preserves and $$$"

First day of spring:

"CRIKEY MOTHER OF GOD WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY FARM?!"

Nah, no plans to sell out to Joja.

That being said, if a game is going to give me as much time as I want to do whatever I want with little to no penalty, then I am going to take my sweet, sweet time and take it easy! Although I'm at level 100 in the old caves, I spend way too much time either in there or fishing.

Nah, no plans to sell out to Joja.

That being said, if a game is going to give me as much time as I want to do whatever I want with little to no penalty, then I am going to take my sweet, sweet time and take it easy! Although I'm at level 100 in the old caves, I spend way too much time either in there or fishing.

Yeah just keep a list of what you need for community centre bundles. A lot of them are seasonal and the unlocks from completing them open up way more possibilities in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched a few let's plays of all of the God of War games, and I love the direction the new one has taken. I really love the whole "let's have an adventure and then go home" feeling to it.

Enjoying the story and characterisations so far and I know I'm not even that deep in. I started a couple of weeks after release because I was caught in a Nier Automata okay through. In some ways I really enjoy the combat mechanics, in other ways I feel like I'm wrestling with some cheapness instead of it being completely skill based.

A game I picked up a while ago that I quite like that it sounds like a few of you might like is Banished. Village simulator game. I tend to wind up falling back on exporting ale and coats, each of which sell pretty well and are very sustainable. Quite fun. If you don't keep an eye on things one small problem can spiral pretty rapidly and then everyone starves.

Picked up The Flame in the Flood in a similar free offer the other day, looks pretty good. Had a quick play the other night, died quickly but it seems fun and I can certainly see myself making a few more goes of it. Plus the soundtrack is very nice. Humble Bundle has been doing a few of these free offers lately, certainly worth monitoring :)

I have gotten far too emotionally attached to Stardew Valley. Currently feeling very melancholy watching the end of another summer go by...

Bought the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy and the first MegaMan X Legends pack this morning for the Switch - a lot of platforming coming up!

Shout out to Rocksmith. Don't know why it has taken me six years to actually giving it a crack considering how much I loved shitty plastic instruments back in the day. I was just skeptical it wouldn't work that well/be that satisfying or actually successfully teach you to navigate the instrument but it does that all really well as a learning tool. I'm also surprised ubisoft hasn't completely locked out user-created custom downloads to go along with its DLC cashgrab... which to be fair is actually fairly moderately priced for what you get for the song. Considering $1 a song is fair to own and listen to otherwise through itunes etc, approx $3-5 for full songs with generally 3 fully isolated instrument tracks and onscreen vocals to be able to learn pretty much every stringed part in a song isn't too bad.

And all the gamefied elements, like the mini-games and score attacks on the song are prety useful in their own way. I've been at it about two months so far trying to squeeze in at least half an hour a day and I reckon that after another two to four months I'll be adequately able to play rythym guitar in the band I have just been singing in so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back