Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

My first thought was that Oli playing on and sprinting towards goal was him not handling pressure. We didn't need the goal, it keeps being reported as the match winning goal, but we had the lead already.

It worked either way, but my heart went in my mouth when he took off instead of just stopping and holding up for 20 seconds.

In those situations I would rather the Swans players take the game on as our record of protecting a small lead with under 2 minutes to go is not good.

Yeh wtf was Parker thinking in the final 5 minutes. He very nearly handed the game to the Dogs with that shithouse kick out of defence and then let Caleb Daniel waltz around him to go inside 50. He lost the plot completely.

Fatigued one step kick didn't go where he was looking to go. Helps that FOX had the behind the goals camera on for that kick.

Tired from carrying us all day.

My first thought was that Oli playing on and sprinting towards goal was him not handling pressure. We didn't need the goal, it keeps being reported as the match winning goal, but we had the lead already.

It worked either way, but my heart went in my mouth when he took off instead of just stopping and holding up for 20 seconds.

Disagree. New who his opponent was and went. Video is flattering to English who gave a good chase but was never in it. Ollie had him covered from the start.

Fatigued one step kick didn't go where he was looking to go. Helps that FOX had the behind the goals camera on for that kick.

Tired from carrying us all day.

He kicks that way all the time

When watching live I thought we got lucky with his kick to Parker who marked and kicked the go ahead goal but watching the replay he purposely pulled the kick short with his non preferred when he could have just bombed it long. Incredibly smart play.

I don’t wish to be negative after a good win but anyone else feel it will be inevitable Florent ends up at Hawthorn? He’s from Melbourne, grew up supporting the Hawks, and in a few years when he will attract outside attention, you can bet your bottom dollar that Hawthorn will be the club that comes calling. He’s exactly the kind of player that Clarkson would love to coach. Or maybe I’m just so used to not having pacey footballers with class that I just fear the worst lol (hey Jetta!)

I don’t wish to be negative after a good win but anyone else feel it will be inevitable Florent ends up at Hawthorn? He’s from Melbourne, grew up supporting the Hawks, and in a few years when he will attract outside attention, you can bet your bottom dollar that Hawthorn will be the club that comes calling. He’s exactly the kind of player that Clarkson would love to coach. Or maybe I’m just so used to not having pacey footballers with class that I just fear the worst lol (hey Jetta!)
No! Have faith, we will keep him till he retires.

There are a lot of kids in our system that grew up barracking for other clubs. I'm not sure if it is the culture or the club or the coaching staff, or just the whole shebang, but it seems to me that we retain a lot more than we lose. I'm sure that someone on here knows where to find those stats and can tell us the exact number.

No! Have faith, we will keep him till he retires.

There are a lot of kids in our system that grew up barracking for other clubs. I'm not sure if it is the culture or the club or the coaching staff, or just the whole shebang, but it seems to me that we retain a lot more than we lose. I'm sure that someone on here knows where to find those stats and can tell us the exact number.

I know, I know.

It just seems too good to be true that we will have a classy runner for the next decade. Very Unswanslike :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this by far one of most bizarre statements I’ve read.
You’re extrapolation on guesses and maybes is something I can’t comprehend.
There are more important things in the world to worry about Caesar. Let this one go.

The afl may hand him to hawthorn for some reason I guess...

Love his improvement and Hayward ‘
For some reason always pair them together and pair mills and Heeney together
At the risk of going off topic there's an interesting argument to be had about how to rank our batches of AFL-proven players from 2012-16:
2016 - Hayward, Florent, Ronke
2015 - Mills, Papley, Murray
2014 - Heeney, Newman, Melican
2013 - Jones, Hewett, Nankervis
2012 - Towers, Lloyd, Rampe

I think I'd have to go: 16, 14, 15, 13, 12. Really excited about what Florent can become.

At the risk of going off topic there's an interesting argument to be had about how to rank our batches of AFL-proven players from 2012-16:

I think I'd have to go: 16, 14, 15, 13, 12. Really excited about what Florent can become.

17 may end up good too

If they are the batches have to put 12 ahead for now , Lloyd and rampe vital cogs
‘Then again Heeney in 14

I’ll put 15 last, I dunno this is hard

17 may end up good too

If they are the batches have to put 12 ahead for now , Lloyd and rampe vital cogs
‘Then again Heeney in 14

I’ll put 15 last, I dunno this is hard
It is hard which is absolutely brilliant!

I agree 2012 would have to be first at this stage, but could change in the next couple of years.

Then I reckon 2013 & 2014 are tied, with 2015 & 2016 coming in last.

However, by this time next year 2016 could be first!

That is some seriously good drafting. All of those players are absolutely contributing to victories week in week out.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't pick a difference between them really. They're all a bit of a mixed bag between elite, good players, and depth players. 2016 it's too early to tell but could very well be our best draft of the lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back