West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won’t finish top 4

Played their harder games at home and played some sides with injuries inflates their standing

Would happily play west coast in a final.
You probably thought WC would finish 14th this year too.

WC no injuries? You should actually do your research before making such claims.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I dont think that works unless the young guys are on the cusp of best 22. I am not sure who you are thinking off that could have got a game last year that didnt. Most that didn't play were injured, needed another preseason, or no where near it.
As i keep saying we didnt have any youth to play because we had dads army playing

Notice how this year - despite loads of injuries we have more young guys to come in - thats because we delisted a bunch of guys and drafted a bunch

With the East Perth alignment we see (IMO) too many kids playing in the one team. I for one are grateful that McGinnity and Wellingham are hanging around to help the kids - that is assuming they are giving the right messages and leading by example. Shame some of our other recent retirees couldn't be convinced to hand around and act in mentoring & on-field coaching roles.

That’s just the way it is.

The ONLY way it goes away is if you win the GF - and these days it probably has to be against a Victorian side at that.

It’s frustrating but I guess this WCE team hasn’t done anything yet. Only 1 win ahead of this time last year and we know what a limp to the finish that was.

Clubs like the Eagles will never be ‘feel good stories’, never be the lovable underdog and highly unlikely to get a free pass from anyone. Such is life. ;)

You are right about last year, but we were 6-2 113% vs 7-1 134% now. This time last year we were 0/2 at the MCG with our one Melbourne win coming against the Kangaroos in their first post Boomer, Petrie etc. game. We scraped past St Kilda, cocked up against Richmond (8.17, FMD), got Sydney in their huge slump, got flogged by Hawthorn in theirs. Etc.

Right now we're 3/3 away from home having beaten one team from each of the 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 brackets based on pre-season predictions. The fact that we just beat GWS in Sydney minus Naitanui, Shuey and McGovern and people are still talking us down shows what a surprise packet we've been so far. I'm sure I'm not alone in not having predicted us to be 7-1, so I reckon in reassessing the teams we've played you also need to reassess us as you go. If we halve our games from here on in we finish borderline top 4. Let thank sink in. :eek:

But of course haters gon' hate. And if we win the flag this year, next or some other they can just keep on hating.

Hawthorn did cut some of their great players. But they had premierships before that. Hawthorn don't have a premiership to show for cutting Mitchell and Hodge.

Good point. Why are Hawthorn some benchmark? It's not 2012. They did what worked for them then and have done what they think will work for them in recent years. Would anyone be happy with giving up what they did and letting Priddis, Hurn, LeCras go for nothing in return for getting Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara?

As far as youth goes, Venables, Rioli and Waterman were drafted in 2016. Cole, Partington, Mutimer 2015. Duggan, Nelson 2014. Sheed, Barrass + McGovern upgraded 2013. We didn't just start planning for the future once Priddis and Mitchell finished up. Plus Ryan, Petruccelle and Ainsworth were drafted last year with Allen and Brander who at picks 21 and 13 were evidently highly rated juniors. These guys have all played at AFL level and 12 have played so far this year.

Like NM they loaded up for a tilt at a flag but it appears they will miss the 8 completely.

Can't see them dropping or retiring Priddis et al which will mean 2018 we can expect a slower midfield but a dominant ruckman.

I think they're in all sorts of trouble short and long term and I think Simpson is too stubborn to rebuild.

Where are they at and what should their strategy be going forward?

Capture.PNG

579231-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Been saying it since round 3, this by far the best eagles side since 05-07,they just ooze confidence and do whatever they want, doesn't matter who's in or out that confidence is contagious.

They will be at the grand final this year if this flow of confidence maintains.

They're just in that mode at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been saying it since round 3, this by far the best eagles side since 05-07,they just ooze confidence and do whatever they want, doesn't matter who's in or out that confidence is contagious.

They will be at the grand final this year if this flow of confidence maintains.

They're just in that mode at the moment.
It does seems like we're winning with system. The fact that our midfield is able to still function without Shuey is a credit to the coaches.

Bit early for that
No it's not too early for that I didn't say will win the flag I said if they maintain this confidence they will, at the moment that confidence and belief only seems to be steadily rising. Key words at the moment.

2011 and 2015 was always shaky, this current team the way they're are going about it is very superior, it's that mode that geelong and hawks hit in recent years.

The Hawks game is at Etihad though, not the MCG. Different ground, a win for the Eagles next week would not be surprising. I'd agree with you if the game was at the MCG.

Which is itself a disgrace. Given the Grand Final is always going to be at the MCG surely all the non Victorian teams should get given the maximum possible opportunity to play at the MCG?

Which is itself a disgrace. Given the Grand Final is always going to be at the MCG surely all the non Victorian teams should get given the maximum possible opportunity to play at the MCG?

Hawthorn: our home game, MCG please
West Coast: our away game, but we'd prefer the MCG
AFL: Etihad

6 more games in Perth. Win those and half our away games, pretty much gives us top 2.

So loads more of the season to be played?

It’s too early to start talking about GFs and top 2 and all that kind of stuff.

I’m all for peeling the lid off a little release some steam but don’t forget to put it back down again or it’ll go cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back