Tigers MCG Record vs Non MCG Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right, the issue isn't really with Richmond but how grossly unfair it is that any side can get a home ground grand final vs a side that has to travel. So many sides are 5-10 goal better sides at home so its just a ridiculous advantage that shouldn't exist come the crunch time of the year.

When each & every interstate club entered the national competition, they all knew then that the GF is played at the G. It had a long trrm contract in 1987 (when WC & Brisbane joined) and it has been extended again for another 25 years or whatever. Bottom line, It's a given & will not change. Why is everyone with a gripe against this wasting their time bitching?

Team with a better record at home isn't surprising

But I only just realised that it's round 9 and Richmond have only played two of last year's finaists...... and lost to both convincingly
Funny people say we have an easy draw to start the year, yet (if you exclude us) we have played 6 of the current top 9 teams. What about when we play Essendon? Will that make our run that little bit harder because they made finals last year?

I agree, the whole competition revolves around money and its bloody disgraceful

Having teams from interstate is ridiculous, there is no way to truly equalise the competition with all the travel that goes on. We should go back to the way it was before the 80s, Victorian teams only - who cares if half the competition is on its knees? At least it'll be fair.

This is a pretty dumb comparison you are making.

Travel is an inevitable part of any home and away competition. There is no way whatsoever to even it up. Nobody sane is arguing that it should be even.

Having the grand final be at the same stadium every year is not an inevitable part of a competition.

When each & every interstate club entered the national competition, they all knew then that the GF is played at the G. It had a long trrm contract in 1987 (when WC & Brisbane joined) and it has been extended again for another 25 years or whatever. Bottom line, It's a given & will not change. Why is everyone with a gripe against this wasting their time bitching?

And bottom line. Its still an unfair advantage.
Yes it won't change and yes non MCG teams have to deal with it.

Its an entirely legitimate discussion and tough tiddies if discussing it upsets you.

2018 MCG 6-0 Docklands 1-0 Interstate 0-2

2017 MCG 12-2 Docklands 2-2 Interstate 4 -2 Geelong 0-1

Interstate wins against Fremantle, Suns, Lions, and Power.

Very smartly developed a style that wins at the G.
Ty , and Bart Cummings didn’t prepare his horses to just win at Randwick either , I don’t want us to take all the credit for this ingenious strategy

Any one game in isolation is nothing, but you can't just drop away games and hope you get favourable match ups in September.
Dropping away games against the 2nd (before today) side on the ladder at a ground we’ve never played at before is nothing to panic about. Eagles were superb; we were average. We learn and move on, top 2 still well on the cards.

Funny people say we have an easy draw to start the year, yet (if you exclude us) we have played 6 of the current top 9 teams. What about when we play Essendon? Will that make our run that little bit harder because they made finals last year?

I just thought it was interesting to note

I didn't make a value judgement on it or say it was 'soft draw' -

Do you say this just now cause they have a great team?

No one said boo when they were struggling.

So why do they deserve to be gifted success over the other great teams around the league who've also made their home grounds fortresses?

Its an entirely legitimate discussion and tough tiddies if discussing it upsets you.
We gonna discuss it adnauseum until 2057? It’s literally not changing before that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is a gift and you still have to go out and win the game.

Not Victoria’s fault the current batch of interstate contenders are fickle away from their own state.

So....
No games played at the MCG during home and away to avoid any Grand Final advantage?

Sounds fair and extremely practical.

On Nexus 5X using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. Just acknowledge it exists and attempt to mitigate it my maximising (when possible) the number of games non MCG teams play at the MCG.

Eg why is Hawthorn (an MCG tenant) v West Coast at Docklands?
When Fremantle played in the Grand Final they had only played 2 games the MCG over the entire season. And by the way Chism that was thoroughly discussed at the time.

No, it doesn't upset me at all. It's rather amusing really. People bitch against the government as well & it makes no difference there either. I admit we have an advantage having the G as our home ground, but it has been that way almost my entire life & it's only become an issue now.

This is a pretty dumb comparison you are making.

Travel is an inevitable part of any home and away competition. There is no way whatsoever to even it up. Nobody sane is arguing that it should be even.

Having the grand final be at the same stadium every year is not an inevitable part of a competition.
The point I am making is that money talks. If you want to elicit change, your best chance is by getting yourself and everyone else that doesn't like it, to not with their feet and leave the league. Don't by a membership, don't go to games, don't watch on TV.

How much is it an advantage to be an MCG tenant?
Since the interstate period of dominance ended in 2007:

MCG teams have won 8 of 12 prelims, and 6 of 8 GFs
Etihad teams have won 3 of 8 prelims and 1 of 3 GFs.
Interstate teams have won 6 of 9 prelims and 1 of 7 finals
*The Swans of 2012 are the only team from all Interstate and Etihad teams to beat an MCG team in either a prelim or a final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back