Ask Bevo

Remove this Banner Ad

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Simple premise...channel your inner journo and fire away.

We've all bemoaned the ignorance of various reporters over the years (Case in point, the Perth journo who asked about Minson's availability!), could you do a better job?

As it stands there are a lot of posters with strong opinions about the direction of the club at the moment. What would you ask Bevo if you had the chance?

Simple premise...channel your inner journo and fire away.

We've all bemoaned the ignorance of various reporters over the years (Case in point, the Perth journo who asked about Minson's availability!), could you do a better job?

As it stands there are a lot of posters with strong opinions about the direction of the club at the moment. What would you ask Bevo if you had the chance?
What structure and tactics will you deploy over the next 18 months to fix our forward line and which players do you expect to fill which roles in it?

What structure and tactics will you deploy over the next 18 months to fix our forward line and which players do you expect to fill which roles in it?

Interesting question DW. I find it amazing that prior to this weekend we averaged 78 points per game and in our Premiership season (home and away) we averaged 84 points per game. How can a one goal a game differential feel like such a massive chasm?

Interesting question DW. I find it amazing that prior to this weekend we averaged 78 points per game and in our Premiership season (home and away) we averaged 84 points per game. How can a one goal a game differential feel like such a massive chasm?
Because our defense was much stronger, we are scoring less and receiving more.

Has versatility actually turned into a strategy of damage limitation? i.e trying to hide a player and their deficiencies so the opposition cant regularly exploit them through desirable matchups?

Where do you think the list is at, especially compared to 2015/6. And if I’m allowed a cheeky second question - has the current list bought into the Bev philosophy in the same way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you think the list is at, especially compared to 2015/6. And if I’m allowed a cheeky second question - has the current list bought into the Bev philosophy in the same way?

I love the second part of this question. AFL players are all talented, its the mental game and the 'buy in' that can separate great teams from also rans. Look at Richmond, they lost 3 of the last 6 by 70+ in 2016. 12 months later with the same core players, a tinkering of the gameplan, some major 'buy in' from the leaders and the self belief turns into a dream September run.

I still think something major happened behind the scenes halfway through 2017. We were top 4 after Round 10, had beaten the Swans and Tigers, lost by 2 points against GWS and were in front in the last quarter down in Geelong. All of those teams went on to win finals whilst we fell away and now look like a team devoid of self belief.

We had four outstanding weeks that year. They just happened to be the most important four weeks. We struggled to the end of the H&A season with a handful of our best 22 out with injury.

Yet we average the same amount of inside 50s (54) and are taking more marks inside 50 (14 to 11)

Without seeing the numbers, I suspect our Time I50 now is nowhere near where it was.

We'd go for long periods without scoring, but the ball wouldn't leave our forward third until we did.
Now... Whoosh...

What philosophies have you copied/bought over from other sports and how much can you learn from other codes? Follow on question being how much has your coaching philosophy changed since your days at St Bedes and what still stays the same?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back