WCE 2018 = Adelaide Crows 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

so far WCE are 1 win ahead at the same stage. Their points per game is close to 1 goal per game under the crows (although I am using the crows 22 game average for 2017) - so WCE would need to keep up the scoring over the season. WCE have a slightly better defence (crows averaged 80 points against over 22 games in 2017) and WCE averaging 75 against 9 games in. WCE would need to win 8 more games to beat the crows 2017 tally (although as the crows had top spot wrapped up, they did change things up V west coast in the last minor round game - if it was one they had to win, maybe they might have played things differently - but that is up for debate).

WCE have a former coleman medalist in their forward line and Darling is in career best form. Last year, the crows had walker and betts go just shy of 50 goals each at the end of the minor round, Jenkins was in the low 40's and Lynch was around 30. I personally would rank the Adelaide 2017 forward line as an overall more dynamic forward line than WCE as it is very multidimensional with the talls kicking goals, the smalls (betts and cameron) also kicking a number of goals as did the mid rangers in Lynch and McGovern. There was also good output from midfield.

In defence, WCE have a very strong backline with McGovern being a better tall defender than what the crows have as he can play man on man and also intercept better than anyone else in the game - including rance. Talia is arguably the best lockdown tall defender but he does not create like McGovern. Where the crows really excel is in the small defender mould - Laird is 1st choice half back flank for the AA team I would imagine and when fit smith is also in the AA calculations. However WCE have Bunger Hurn and Jetta who are in great form this year as are a number of their other mid tier players.

WCE have a better ruck division - Jacobs was very good last year and very unlucky not to be AA - considering he obliterated Ryder in both showdowns but Naitanui is in my opinion a better all round ruck in most aspects when fit - and he is fit this year and what a difference he makes to the eagles. Lycett is also a very handy back-up. On ball, the crows had 3 so called a grade mids last year + had help from a number of others like Douglas, greenwood, Cameron pinch hitting etc.

The eagles have a more workmanlike midfield but have some real class in Gaff, Yeo and sheed. Redden is also really showing what a good player he is. All in all, if the eagles can keep up the form for the remainder of the season, they certainly can be the equal of the crows from 2017 and if the crows don't win the flag this year, it would be great to see the eagles do it.

Last edited:

so far WCE are 1 win ahead at the same stage. Their points per game is close to 1 goal per game under the crows (although I am using the crows 22 game average for 2017) - so WCE would need to keep up the scoring over the season. WCE have a slightly better defence (crows averaged 80 points against over 22 games in 2017) and WCE averaging 75 against 9 games in. WCE would need to win 8 more games to beat the crows 2017 tally (although as the crows had top spot wrapped up, they did change things up V west coast in the last minor round game - if it was one they had to win, maybe they might have played things differently - but that is up for debate). WCE have a former coleman medalist in their forward line and Darling is in career best form. Last year, the crows had walker and betts go just shy of 50 goals each at the end of the minor round, Jenkins was in the low 40's and Lynch was around 30. I personally would rank the Adelaide 2017 forward line as an overall more dynamic forward line than WCE as it is very multidimensional with the talls kicking goals, the smalls (betts and cameron) also kicking a number of goals as did the mid rangers in Lynch and McGovern. There was also good output from midfield. In defence, WCE have a very strong backline with McGovern being a better tall defender than what the crows have as he can play man on man and also intercept better than anyone else in the game - including rance. Talia is arguably the best lockdown tall defender but he does not create like McGovern. Where the crows really excel is in the small defender mould - Laird is 1st choice half back flank for the AA team I would imagine and when fit smith is also in the AA calculations. However WCE have Bunger Hurn and Jetta who are in great form this year as are a number of their other mid tier players. WCE have a better ruck division - Jacobs was very good last year and very unlucky not to be AA - considering he obliterated Ryder in both showdowns but Naitanui is in my opinion a better all round ruck in most aspects when fit - and he is fit this year and what a difference he makes to the eagles. Lycett is also a very handy back-up. On ball, the crows had 3 so called a grade mids last year + had help from a number of others like Douglas, greenwood, Cameron pinch hitting etc. The eagles have a more workmanlike midfield but have some real class in Gaff, Yeo and sheed. Redden is also really showing what a good player he is. All in all, if the eagles can keep up the form for the remainder of the season, they certainly can be the equal of the crows from 2017 and if the crows don't win the flag this year, it would be great to see the eagles do it.

Can you do us all a favour and put some paragraph spacing in this MEGA POST you created. I looked at it and my head hurt.:drunk:

Thank you!

A lot of the West Coast boys obviously have that grand final experience from 2015. I don't think they would s**t themselves like they did back then if find their way back. Darling, JK, and many others would be keen to atone for that shambolic display. How did Shuey go, I remember him spurning a player running into an open goal early on and missing a sitter. Momentum killer. Anyway they'd be pumped if they get there again. To be honest, I don't think lightening would strike twice. They'd be pretty hard to topple. So would the Tige's though.

Holy s**t if they met in the big one it would be a clash of mammoth proportions.
I dont think they would s**t themselves, they wont be playing a historical juggernaut like last time...this flag race is wide open

Personally think the Adelaide team was light years ahead. Coming from a Port fan too....

Both will struggle in September though.

The old ‘Crows will struggle in September’ furfy now with West Coast thrown in as well. Crows got all the way to the GF in September last year and West Coast may get two home finals in September. You couldn’t be more wrong.

#clueless

Adelaide 2017 and WC 2018 play very different game styles.

Your OP boils down to, can interstate sides win a GF against a team whose home ground is the MCG. Well it's hard, given the huge advantage a non-neutral ground gives.
Personally I think the best case scenario for a non Vic side to win the GF is if they play another non Vic side or at the very least they're not playing against a side who are tenants of the MCG.

Lost to them in Perth and West Coast only managed a 10 point win over Carlton at the G.

Throw out Round 1 games they’re next to useless. And if you watched that Eagles v Swans game you’d notice that Nic Nat played only 50% game time. When he was on the field the Eagles dominated, when he was off the Swans did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NicNat & Scotty Lycett grow as the weeks go by, interesting to see the Hawks this weekend & if they chose Jon Ceglar to help Bigboy McEvoy.

Simmo has built his game plan around the big blokes & overachieved in 2017 due to the efforts of Drew Petrie & Nathan Vardy*, :thumbsu: thanks guys, but the 2018 pairing offers a better chance of being there when it counts as the Crows did last year.

* If/when Vardy gets back, will Simmo run a 3 way big bloke rotation, the Tiges ran the little blokes & we all know a good big man will beat a good small bloke ... its the 2018 way to go?

I'm sure the Crows are looking for a 2nd chance as are the EAgles, feeling the loss in 2015, the poor performance when it counted, cant wait for the big one 2018 IF we are good enough. We arent trying to clone Dimmas crew, Simmo is doing it as he sees it.

Last edited:
Maybe Adelaide 2017 = WC 2018 = Adelaide 2018?

How so, they have very different game plans as I see it, particularly with Tex playing while injured and the Crows backline not replacing Lever 2017 as yet, while the Eagles have their #1 & 2 big blokes back together since 2015.

West Coast are West Coast, not Adelaide 2017 and would've pumped Richmond wherever they played yesterday.
maybe at the mcg in may, maybe
wce will need to look after their big guys really well
our game stacks up at the mcg in september
we are yet to see how this eagles team will fare

Last edited:
i'll take your word for it, was commenting more on the Adelaide injured mids as opposed to the quality of WC's.
Personally, I probably rate a couple of ours higher than plodders and Sloane lower than you do but whatevs, not worth going to war over.
Matt Crouch is a star showed it in the GF last year was about the only one that did. Brad Crouch also a very good player but had bad groins which clearly affected him the longer the year went. Adelaide and Eagles are very similar teams and will both be there when the whips are cracking. Would love to see an Eagles vs Crows GF would be a cracking game between two teams that play an attacking entertaining style

Lost to them in Perth and West Coast only managed a 10 point win over Carlton at the G.
Would've taken the lead late in the game if not for a dodgy kicking in danger call as lecras kicked a goal that went for a 12 point turn around. A shocking blunder from the score review system didn't help the case either. 2 extra junk time goals with a minute or so to spare flatter the swans too, we fielded 3 debutants, were on the receiving end of some poor umpiring decisions at crucial moments and it still took a rare titan buddy performance to get them over the line, even without kennedy playing. Naitanui and Lycetts first games since 2016 as well.

All things considered it was a solid effort on our behalf, I'll be taking confidence from that performance when we go to play the swans at the scg after the bye. Round 1 means nothing in the scheme of things anyway.

Regarding carlton, that was our poorest game for the year, happy to come away as winners. Richmond only beat them by 26 points and it was on their home ground, does that mean we can rule them out? Can we rule you guys out because you got slapped by the pies at home? Do we rule sydney out because they lost to the crows, power and north all at home?

You can pick and choose any performance you want to at this stage of the season to rule a team out, a bit silly and assumptive I would've thought.

Would've taken the lead late in the game if not for a dodgy kicking in danger call as lecras kicked a goal that went for a 12 point turn around. A shocking blunder from the score review system didn't help the case either. 2 extra junk time goals with a minute or so to spare flatter the swans too, we fielded 3 debutants, were on the receiving end of some poor umpiring decisions at crucial moments and it still took a rare titan buddy performance to get them over the line, even without kennedy playing. Naitanui and Lycetts first games since 2016 as well.

All things considered it was a solid effort on our behalf, I'll be taking confidence from that performance when we go to play the swans at the scg after the bye. Round 1 means nothing in the scheme of things anyway.

Regarding carlton, that was our poorest game for the year, happy to come away as winners. Richmond only beat them by 26 points and it was on their home ground, does that mean we can rule them out? Can we rule you guys out because you got slapped by the pies at home? Do we rule sydney out because they lost to the crows, power and north all at home?

You can pick and choose any performance you want to at this stage of the season to rule a team out, a bit silly and assumptive I would've thought.

Picked an MCG game and a game vs the comparison. It’s all subjective at this point and is the case for just about every bf thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back