Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
’Extraordinary’ Lion claims Rising Star nod
BRISBANE teen Alex Witherden is the Round 9 Rising Star, rewarded for a star showing in his team’s breakthrough win over Hawthorn on Sunday. The ex-Geelong Falcons junior had 24 disposals, a touch over his average of 23 from his first 17 outings. The nod will please Lions coach Chris Fagan.

“I hope at some point they do nominate him for the Rising Star,” Fagan said on Sunday. “What’s he played, about 20 games and I reckon he’s averaging 22, 23 touches. That’s pretty extraordinary for a 19-year-old.”

4ca1093037c6d4c336749c3a4e3c4289

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Witherden a Rising Star, again!
Only 10 footballers had ever been nominated twice for the NAB AFL Rising Star award before Monday. You can now add Brisbane Lions defender Alex Witherden's name to the exclusive list, with his Round 9 nomination following his Round 17 recognition last year.

Among the big names to manage the feat are Luke Power, Nathan Jones, Mark LeCras and Michael Hurley. Exciting Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia was the first player in four years to achieve it when he scored a second nomination in Round 17, 2016.

Witherden's 24 disposals in the drought-breaking weekend victory over Hawthorn – after the Club's 0-8 start – means he has recorded 20 or more in 14 of his 18 career games. "It's obviously a pretty good achievement that I'm pretty proud of," he told AFL.com.au of his nomination. "But it's credit to my teammates for being able to help me out to get that done."

09BrHa18MW3138%20%282%29.jpg

The pre-season Rising Star favourite is only eligible because a broken leg suffered playing for Geelong College two years ago, which required further surgery 16 months ago, delayed his Brisbane debut and he only managed nine games last year.

Witherden's coach, Chris Fagan, would be pleased as anyone, having questioned post Sunday's win the 19-year-old Lion's lack of nomination in 2018. "I didn't actually hear it," Witherden said of Fagan's "pretty extraordinary" comment. "I came into the club today and the boys gave me a bit of stick about it and they said Fages gave me a bit of a pump up after the game, so I might have to go buy him a beer after that."

Fagan will just be content knowing Witherden has already re-committed to the Brisbane cause through the 2020 season. The teenager is not only a bright football talent, but also a breath of fresh air in the way he speaks publicly and with his openness in coveting a leadership role.

He even cheekily pointed out on social media at the weekend an umpire making contact to St Kilda defender Nathan Brown, which was timely after the events during the week. Witherden inherited an ideal role model when ex-Hawk Luke Hodge changed his mind on retirement and elected to continue his career at the Lions.

"Hodgey's always demanding high standards, whether it be at training, in the gym or watching vision – and he always challenges you to be better," he said of the four-time premiership star. "If we don't execute a drill as it should be done at training; at the end of training he'll call us in as a defenders' group and say, 'We're doing it again and we'll do it until it's right'. "He's really thorough and watches hours and hours of vision each week and the boys call him a bit of a footy nerd – that's what he is – but he's so competitive and passionate. "He invests everything he's got into it and that professionalism is starting to rub off on the rest of us. I couldn't speak more highly of him."

Witherden is surrounded by promising young players at the Gabba, with Hugh McCluggage, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Jarrod Berry, Cam Rayner and Zac Bailey just a few of those. He raves about McCluggage's work-rate – noting one example in the Gold Coast game where the 2016 No.3 pick had three touches in one passage of play – and how Rayner is a "big bull".

More importantly, Witherden believes in the direction the Lions are headed under Fagan and saw progression in spite of the losing record to start the season. "We were sick of honourable losses, as put by others, and we were really hunting that win," he said. "We thought we were in probably six or seven of the first eight games we played – all bar that Richmond game – so just to get that win at the weekend shows we can do it. "What we're trying to achieve does work if we execute it properly and that just gives us confidence that if we trust our method and execute the plan then we'll be right."
180173_Rising_Star_Alex_Witherden_Facebook.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

The numbers say Brisbane Lions Coach Chris Fagan might just be right.

Certainly, Fagan’s description of Alex Witherden’s numbers as “pretty extraordinary” on Monday was justified yesterday when he won the Round 9 nomination for the AFL Rising Star Award.

And after further investigation, the numbers suggest Witherden will be right in the mix to add to the Club’s already rich history in the prestigious award.

Witherden has averaged 22.89 possessions per game through 18 games - more than 23 of the 25 overall winners.

Only Nathan Buckley, the inaugural Rising Star winner playing with the Brisbane Bears in 1993, and Rhys Palmer, who won the award playing with Fremantle in 2008, had a higher possessions-per-game average at the time they were crowned.

Buckley averaged 22.90ppg at the time, and Palmer averaged 23.10ppg.

Furthermore, only three other winners had averaged more than 20.00ppg at the time of their Rising Star win - Paul Hasleby averaged 21.38ppg for Fremantle when he won in 2000, Dyson Heppell averaged 21.43ppg for Essendon in 2011, and Jaeger O’Meara averaged 21.64ppg for Gold Coast in 2013.

And Witherden, whose AFL debut last year was delayed by the lingering effects of a broken leg suffered in his 2016 draft year, still has 13 home-and-away games this season to boost his numbers.

He would only need to average the 24 possessions he had in Sunday’s win over Hawthorn at the Gabba which earned him the nomination to leapfrog Buckley and Palmer and go to the top of the list.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions sick and tired of honourable losses
ALEX Witherden has revealed the extent of the Lions’ disappointment at letting the chance to knock over Sydney go begging last week and said only a victory over the Kangaroos on Sunday would satisfy them.

However, Witherden said the players saw it differently and they would not be happy with anything but a win over the Roos at Etihad Stadium on Sunday. “We weren’t satisfied with that, some people are calling it an honourable loss, but not us,’’ he said. “We walked away thinking we had chances to put pressure on them on the scoreboard, especially in the final quarter, and we didn’t get the job done. “We were disappointed. We hold the Roos in extremely high regard and we appreciate what they have done this year, but we are going there to take the four points and we believe if we execute, we will get the win.’’

The last time the Lions played the Kangaroos was in Round 23 last year, when they were heavy favourites only to be handed a 51-point hiding. Witherden said that match had not been discussed once this week. However, he revealed it had been brought-up the week before the Swans game as coach Chris Fagan urged his men to follow-up the breakthrough win over Hawthorn, in which Witherden earned a Rising Star nomination, with another solid showing against the Swans.

“We talked about it more last week because we had produced a good game to beat Gold Coast last year but weren’t able to back it up, and we finished the season with a couple of losses,’’ he said. Witherden’s own form has been very good this year, leading to his Rising Star nomination. Each week his ball use has become more assured and he is now starting to slice sides open with his foot skills and attacking decision making.

4ccf05fb6e020dc37eee22b497d9a651

He said Fagan’s constant encouragement to maximise his kicking skills gave him confidence but also added he thought he may be the player benefiting most from backline colleague Luke Hodge’s arrival at the Lions. “Fages has said to me the whole time that he backs me in to make the right decision, but the best advice I got was from Hodgey,’’ he said.

“He just said every club focused heavily on defence over the off-season and for the first month or six weeks it was red hot, and then after that you can start to see defensive weaknesses that you can try to exploit. “He just said to not try to do too much and force the issue over the first month. “Absolutely (he has been important to me), he just offers sound advice based around experience, he gives insight into things I don’t understand yet because he’s been there and done that, so he can fast track your development.’’

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Alex Witherden is the Rising Star’s dark horse, but should be the favourite
Saturday night was yet another strong performance in what has been a remarkable second year in the competition by Brisbane’s Alex Witherden.

From his first game at AFL level Witherden has played like a seasoned veteran, and underlined that against the Crows with 31 touches, 12 marks and seven rebound 50s.

The Rising Star Award this year continues to be talked about primarily as a battle between Jaidyn Stephenson and Tom Doedee (and yes, I do know Ben Ronke exists), but surely Witherden should be firmly in the mix.

It depends on what you want from a Rising Star winner. Is it the player who has accomplished the most so far, or the one who seems most likely to touch the sun over the next ten years? If the former I’d say you can’t possibly go past the prolific consistency of Witherden.

If the latter I can see making an argument for Stephenson, who for mine is – alongside Cam Rayner – surely the potential superstar of this year’s class.
Alex-Witherden-Brisbane-Lions-2017-AFL.jpg

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Witherden, not Stephenson for the Rising Star
Nicholas Richardson
https://www.richardsonsportsblog.com/afl/2018/8/1/witherden-not-stephenson-for-the-rising-star
The AFL’s Rising Star is one of the most controversial and divisive accolades in the AFL community, as highlighted by Lewis Taylor’s success in 2014.

In 2018 a multitude of AFL experts and pundits have glanced increasingly favourably on Collingwood star Jaidyn Stephenson. AFL.com.au reporter Nick Bowen adamantly proclaimed Stephenson as a shoe-in on the AFL’s website.

Referring to Jaidyn Stephenson’s season, Fox Sports’s Josh Gabelich declared the Rising Star race “all but closed”. North Melbourne premiership player David King additionally referred to the Collingwood forward as “a lock” for the award.

Such perspectives are concurred by the betting agencies, which have reduced Stephenson’s odds to frighteningly short numbers.

However, it is possible that many fail to recognise the talents of those who ply their trade interstate. It is additionally plausible that the exciting and high-paced nature of the Magpies’ game inaccurately improves external opinions of his performances.

Young Lion Alex Witherden has compiled a season that not only equals but exceeds that of his Collingwood counterpart.

A fundamental pillar of Brisbane’s defence, Witherden has developed into one of the competition’s elite small-defenders. He’s ranked elite in five statistical categories, including effective kicks, ranking points, and marks.

The 19-year-old amazingly sits first at the Lions for effective kicks and metres gained. He also ranks second in effective disposals and fourth in ranking points. Collecting over 115 ranking points three times in 2018, the former Geelong Falcon demonstrates that he has tremendous upside.

Witherden’s performances exceed an already impressive quantitative record.

The Round 9 Rising Star nominee is a vital cog in the Lions defence. A consistently accountable defender, Witherden frequently allows fellow defenders like Luke Hodge the freedom and space to launch offensive chains effectively.

Similar to Jeremy McGovern’s role at the Eagles, Witherden’s defensive positioning frequently results in the slowing of opposition offensive chains.

The young defender has been able to produce such performances in the consistently besieged Lions defence. Often outnumbered and inadequately supported, the poor Lions system adds to how impressive his accomplishments are.

In contrast the output of Jaidyn Stephenson has been comparatively mediocre. The young forward fails to rank elite in a single statistical category and as a forward sits 38th in the competition for goals per game.

Regularly cited in Stephenson’s defence is his considerable tackle pressure. However, the Collingwood forward averages just 0.8 tackles inside 50 per game, which ranks 157nd in the competition, and his overall tackle numbers are even less impressive.

When you consider Stephenson’s performances have occurred in the forward line of a side that sits comfortably inside the top four and averages 55 inside 50 entries per game, it diminishes the impressiveness of his output.

Much of the AFL community has locked Stephenson away as the 2018 Rising Star, but these opinions could not be further from reality.

Back