Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not Wollongong?

Because they dont have the metrics the ffa require, pretty much rules out regional teams.

You will never see wollongong, tassie, canberra etc in the top flight.

If Lakeside stadium was in dandenong team11 would have been awarded a license already..expansion will only come fron major cities.

Because they dont have the metrics the ffa require, pretty much rules out regional teams.

You will never see wollongong, tassie, canberra etc in the top flight.

If Lakeside stadium was in dandenong team11 would have been awarded a license already..expansion will only come fron major cities.

Under FFA yes! but the league may not be run by the FFA for much longer if the report of independence are true and agreed on.

Imagine if they got in.

AFL would be scrambling to get a team.

Also, South Melbourne wouldn't steal a lot of fans from Victory or City, they'd bring in old and new fans who don't follow the A-League.

Me personally I'm waiting for Adelaide City to come back to the top flight!

Imagine if they got in.

Also, South Melbourne wouldn't steal a lot of fans from Victory or City, they'd bring in old and new fans who don't follow the A-League.

The league is really missing their crowds of 3,000. And Adelaide really has the population to support two teams.

The league is really missing their crowds of 3,000. And Adelaide really has the population to support two teams.

In the last season of the nsl the jets were getting crowds as low as 1500. I understand the concern but comparisons to the old days arent really valid now.

Its like when people scoff at South Melbourne averaging 8,000 20 years ago..ignoring that it was a semi pro league and melbourne had about 2 million less people.

Imagine if they got in.

Even if South Melbourne steals say 5000-6000 Victory members I reckon it'll bring a good chunk of new fans.

Good on Tassie wish them all the best! Prove me wrong!

Out of every single bid this makes the most sense, regardless of what old opinions people have of the state. Not enough big business to support it? You think every major sponsor of an A League club is located within its postcode?

They don't turn out for AFL games? Yeah, how much of a crowd would GWS vs North/Hawks draw in Perth?
It's their own team, I would put my house on them drawing more of an average attendance than 50% of the league already.

They have support from all sides of government. They have no competing code (aside from the Cricket). They have the ability to play at least a couple of games every year outside of Hobart without imposing on anyone elses turf. They will have a purpose built stadium that they wont have to share with anyone. They have the highest participation rate of any sport for junors and it's still growing. The population is growing, the economy is the biggest growing "regional" economy in the country.

The biggest issue will be Fox Sports might not think it will make them enough money. Aside from that if someone can give me a reason why they're not a lock, backed with facts, then I would love to hear it.

Fox wont see a Tassie team as an attractive option, in the bbl the hobart hurricanes matches draw the lowest tv ratings by far, fox want eyeballs on screens and thats where a tassie team is probably going to be the least attractive option of the lot.

Its never about who deserves a team, Tassie is never going to make sense from a business point of view. The reality is we dont have the organic setup in this country to cater for it.

The ffa/fox want derbies, they want teams strategically placed in large population centres to attract the greater overall audience.

I dont agree with it but thats football in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.smfc.com.au/south-melbourne-lodge-eoi-to-join-hyundai-a-league/

South Melbourne lodge EOI to join Hyundai A-League
SMFC Media/24 May, 18
News
Good afternoon South Melbourne supporters. Today represents a significant moment in the history of South Melbourne FC.

We have officially lodged our Expression of Interest (EOI) document to join the A-League in season 2019/20.

It’s the first small step in a process, but the culmination of many steps and large strides this club has made over the best part of 60 years.

South Melbourne has a rich history. We are Australia’s most successful football club, having achieved more honours than any other Australian club, including four national titles. Of course, we are proud of these achievements.

However, this bid document is not about the past NSL glories or number of titles.

Outlined throughout the 100-page document is a 14-year case study of a committed football community building every element of a professional club to not only compete in the top flight, but contribute to the sustainability of Football for girls, boys, women, men and fans in Australia for generations to come.

We have you, the supporters, players and community to thank.

It’s no secret that 14 years ago South Melbourne Football Club was disappointed not to be a part of the inaugural A-League. The decisions relating to the formation of the A-league are well documented. Simply being a successful part of the old-world (NSL) would no longer guarantee the club a seat at the table. It was watershed moment for the club.

Despite the disappointed, South Melbourne’s response was to “get to work” on creating the “New” SMFC. Many people have provided support to keep the club moving forward.

We sincerely thank you for your support.

As your President, it is an absolute privilege to serve this club.

Next steps will be announced towards the end of June.

Yours sincerely,
Leo Athanasakis
SMFC President

Lol at West Adelaide bidding, surely they are no hope. I just wish that hopefully we get our act together in the future and apply, been far too long without the Zebras playing in the top level

According to FourFourTwo, the official SA big is called "Adelaide 11".

Adelaide City is behind it, are aiming to be based out of West Adelaide (no idea what that extends to) and are aiming to play out of Hindmarsh.
I heard Adelaide City pulled out and are waiting for the second division..

According to FourFourTwo, the official SA big is called "Adelaide 11".

Adelaide City is behind it, are aiming to be based out of West Adelaide (no idea what that extends to) and are aiming to play out of Hindmarsh.
It’s funny there hasn’t been a lot of noise coming from the club about it. I still go regularly to games and it’s still a hot topic amongst other fans but people within the club seem pretty tight lipped about any bid

Back