Preview Greater Western Sydney vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Saturday 26/05/18 @ 7:25 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not at all surprised by this.

2015 - terrible
2016 - missing half the side
2017 - inconsistent and GWS were top four.

2015 - led until half time, drew the second quarter, lost by 32 points after letting them kick 5.2 and 6.2 in the last two quarters respectively. We had only three opportunities in front of goal in the third quarter and in the last managed to kick 3.5, which didn't help much.

2016 - didn't play them away in 2016. We acquitted ourselves reasonably well in our home game against them though, considering half our players missing, but again became very inaccurate after half time. Lost by 27 points.

2017 - led at quarter time, and finished the game 101-117 having never let them get that far away.

Just realised. I need a ranter for this weeks game, preferably able to be completed by tomorrow night.

If someone's keen, shoot me a message or reply here or send me a carrier pigeon or a smoke signal.

Lezgo.

I hope they do not bring Myers back in. Has been horrible. Has to play VFL and find a bit of form.
i would go in with no changes.
Team just put their best effort for the year in.

Unless McGrath is 100% ready to go, at which point i'd consider what replacing Dea with him does to our balance, i would not change a thing.

i would go in with no changes.
Team just put their best effort for the year in.

Unless McGrath is 100% ready to go, at which point i'd consider what replacing Dea with him does to our balance, i would not change a thing.
Dea would be unlucky. Did not see the game live but having just watched the replay he was pretty good.

Dea would be unlucky. Did not see the game live but having just watched the replay he was pretty good.
very, but he'd be well aware of his position in the pecking order.
McGrath is ahead of him. And if the balance can still be worked out, no matter how well he played, McGrath comes in
Same logic applies if Hurley was fit. Dea could have played a blinder and we'd still bring Hurley in for him.

Myers cannot come in without going through VFL
He is simply not a start up best 22 player.
He's played every game he's been eligible for this year, and almost every game he was eligible for last year except for two when he *asked* to be dropped (bizarre thing to do? :think: ). He's also in the leadership group, which is usually made up entirely of best 22 players... So the reality tends to suggest he is considered best 22, at least by the coaching panel.

There is a part of me that hopes he stays in the VFL for a little bit though. Give the kids some time to get some chemistry at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played every game he's been eligible for this year, and almost every game he was eligible for last year except for two when he *asked* to be dropped (bizarre thing to do? :think: ). He's also in the leadership group, which is usually made up entirely of best 22 players... So the reality tends to suggest he is considered best 22, at least by the coaching panel.

There is a part of me that hopes he stays in the VFL for a little bit though. Give the kids some time to get some chemistry at AFL level.

I think they’re still giving the banned guys leway, at least to an extent.

On form alone, and coming off a game where our younger guys were instrumental in a big win, I don’t think anyone would argue Myers should be coming straight back in.

I'm a Myers fan but I agree with most people here that he needs to earn his way back into the side. I don't think the same applies for Hurley or McGrath if fully fit, however they may benefit from another week of training before coming back from their respective injuries.

The thing with earning a game through the VFL is that he will always dominate, his attributes and strengths in his game are tailor made for the VFL. Also he turns 29 this year, what you see from him now is basically the end product.

Essendon win, Baggers stays for another 8 weeks and a young bloke gets 'rested'

Myers will come in if fit (I disagree but the coaches have him lockety locked in that best 22).
McGrath will come in if fit (No issues there)
Hurley will come in if fit (No issues there)

By the sounds of the training report I believe McGrath at least will be good to go but Hurley may need another week. Not sure about Myers.

Dea certainly played a good game but it wasn't as good as Ridley's, which is why Dea will lose his spot for Hurley. In theory they could also drop Ambrose for Hurley but he's been pretty good in his games this year and Ambrose can genuinely play on talls. Ridley is an incredibly exciting prospect. Could be anything for us.

Going against the grain a bit but I don't mind that much if Clarke gets dropped as long as we keep Guelfi and Ridley in the team and bring back McGrath. Clarke is a good prospect but he did have sub 10 possessions playing largely in the midfield. Parish also put in a good performance in the VFL and you can guarantee that he would have got more than 10 touches if he had played vs the Cats despite being in ordinary form. I don't believe getting a taste of AFL then getting dropped is going to scar Clarke, if anything it will motivate him. Mutch is another good young player that should still be in the mix.

The coaches certainly think that, but they have to evaluate what our midfield did without him last week. They have to approach selection with an open mind.
Myers is a gun mate - he's in the leadership group and he'll be in if he's fit
Leadership group shouldn't even be mentioned.

We cannot afford to have someone like him who performs once in a 5 weeks in our side.
We're not going to win the flag this year so he has to earn his spot ahead of youngsters capable of either performing at his level or performing better than him. There is more incentive to play them over him. He has to prove that he is more valuable to play than those he would be keeping out. His performance this year does not warrant immediate selection. If we're serious about swinging the axe, then he won't be in the side this week.

I'm not at all surprised by this.

2015 - terrible
2016 - missing half the side
2017 - inconsistent and GWS were top four.
The surprise is that we beat them in 2014, after losing to last placed St Kilda earlier in the year.

The surprise is that we beat them in 2014, after losing to last placed St Kilda earlier in the year.
We made finals in 2014 and GWS didn't. It's not that surprising. One other terrible loss doesn't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back