Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of bands that I tried to learn so many songs of on guitar
Jumping Jack, I can't imagine what it must have been like when this monster came out. After the psychodelic crap from the Stones and Beatles, bang. I still have not heard a better a version that the original. Stones certainly never topped it live.

Keith Richards was my man, actually had my guitar 5 string open G for a few months :)

I loved Rush's first 5 albums, lost them after they went for that chiming guitar sound and synths. There last few albums aren't bad and I have a lot of respect for them making music they want to make to please themselves. Too bad they're done now.

God I wish I had youtube around in those days, would have saved hours and hours of trying to figure out this song, all of it.

For all Cats fans who live in the "heartland", an event just for you :

37137168_1627288174066082_9186335692047777792_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one my crew are learning. Saw this guy live about 12 times and never a dud performance. Hugely under rated and if in yank land would have been a sensation. Great song, one of many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summer is over for me and its back to a busier work schedule. this summer I dedicated myself to getting back into my guitar (after about 20 years of basically not touching it). Besides breaking the fingers back in, I concentrated on some new stuff:
First off was I wanted to learn to play licks in Hendrix's clean tone style, Hey Joe and...

I also worked on Gary Moore's celtic-rock licks. I like the blues, but he's beyond my abilities there.

I've been a Keith Richards freak since high school, in fact I had a guitar in 5 string, open G for at least a year at college. But I never really tried to do the solos, so I've been working on those sweet smooth licks of Mick Taylor.

damn can't get the ball out the I50 out into dreamland tonight :(
here's some interesting interviews I've found.
Randy Bachman is actually pretty interesting, seen a few and he always has interesting stories. Great Neil Young impersonation at about 26:55 lol

GE Smith is good too. Excellent series of stories about his career and SNL.

Damn I wanted to post an interview of Jon Lord by Rick Wakeman, but its been taken down recently. Very funny chat between old friends and great musicians. Watch it if you find it. It was a part of Wakeman's Face to Face series and the few available on the net are good. Lord's was excellent.

Last edited:
"EVERY AFL player has that special tune that pumps them up. A song that gets them in the zone before crossing the white line.

We look at AFL stars’ favourite pump-up songs and rate them from worst to best"

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/389a27bdada2ed2e5ed5f1289edad113

Dusty wins the worst!

Rance third worst with 3am — Matchbox Twenty

Joel is 16 with Yellow — Coldplay
Motivational lyric: “For you I’d bleed myself dry.”

Summer is over for me and its back to a busier work schedule. this summer I dedicated myself to getting back into my guitar (after about 20 years of basically not touching it). Besides breaking the fingers back in, I concentrated on some new stuff:
First off was I wanted to learn to play licks in Hendrix's clean tone style, Hey Joe and...

I also worked on Gary Moore's celtic-rock licks. I like the blues, but he's beyond my abilities there.

I've been a Keith Richards freak since high school, in fact I had a guitar in 5 string, open G for at least a year at college. But I never really tried to do the solos, so I've been working on those sweet smooth licks of Mick Taylor.

Little wing and Hey Joe are my favourite songs ever to play on guitar.
I love little wing so much I gotta friend to design a little wing drawing and i got it tattooed on me.
Gotta voodoo chile one as well.
Always say little wing is my oldest daughters song cause she's so sweet, and voodoo chile is my youngest cause she's wild.

Last edited:
Couple of bands that I tried to learn so many songs of on guitar
Jumping Jack, I can't imagine what it must have been like when this monster came out. After the psychodelic crap from the Stones and Beatles, bang. I still have not heard a better a version that the original. Stones certainly never topped it live.

Keith Richards was my man, actually had my guitar 5 string open G for a few months :)

I loved Rush's first 5 albums, lost them after they went for that chiming guitar sound and synths. There last few albums aren't bad and I have a lot of respect for them making music they want to make to please themselves. Too bad they're done now.

God I wish I had youtube around in those days, would have saved hours and hours of trying to figure out this song, all of it.

I'm a mad Rolling Stones fan, still my favourite all time band! I've been to every Rolling Stones concert in Australia. Keith Richards is still a hero!

Spearman, I remember when Jumping Jack Flash came out. As a bit of a stuck-up princess, we'd go to a café after school + opposite was a record shop. Went in one day + the record shop guy was playing it. We all bought it immediately! My brother gave me the album for my birthday.

The first Rolling Stones song I heard:

Another fave + the first Rolling Stones song + learned to play on the guitar:

This is a great example of Brian Jones' slide guitar:

Another goody:

Off to discover 'Rush'.

"EVERY AFL player has that special tune that pumps them up. A song that gets them in the zone before crossing the white line.

We look at AFL stars’ favourite pump-up songs and rate them from worst to best"

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/389a27bdada2ed2e5ed5f1289edad113

Dusty wins the worst!

Rance third worst with 3am — Matchbox Twenty

Joel is 16 with Yellow — Coldplay
Motivational lyric: “For you I’d bleed myself dry.”
Oh dear... not much in there that wins any respect.

When I feel the need for some serious motivation I generally go to Virgin Steele's Veni, Vidi, Vici but I suppose AFL players may not be into 11 minute warmup songs.

Oh dear... not much in there that wins any respect.

When I feel the need for some serious motivation I generally go to Virgin Steele's Veni, Vidi, Vici but I suppose AFL players may not be into 11 minute warmup songs.

My motivation song atm is ColdPlay Viva La Vida

Remove this Banner Ad

Back