Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure he's been named there on a team announcement, but that's not the same thing as proof that he'll play up forward for some or all of the game. Be interesting to see what actually happens.

Behold the proof.

"GEELONG is preparing to again experiment playing key defender Ryan Gardner up forward in the VFL when the Cats host Williamstown at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday morning.

Gardner has been named at centre half-forward for Geelong’s crucial clash against the fifth-placed Seagulls as the Cats look to get their season back on track following two narrow losses to Collingwood and Essendon the past fortnight".

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/gardner-to-go-forward/

How did he go... a real chance or last chance saloon? Does the Sav injury give him some light at the end of the tunnel?

How did he go... a real chance or last chance saloon? Does the Sav injury give him some light at the end of the tunnel?

I wasn't there Turbo. But he did only kick the one goal.
But with the loss of Ratugolea there is the possibility of the debut of Timm House, Ryan Abbott, or (less likely imho) Ryan Gardner.

I wasn't there Turbo. But he did only kick the one goal.
But with the loss of Ratugolea there is the possibility of the debut of Timm House, Ryan Abbott, or (less likely imho) Ryan Gardner.

My bet is Buzza gets a go. Might not hurt to take the queenslander back home

Last edited:
Ok, from my '17 vision of Gardner, he is a defender.

Could he have been playing fwd to hone his skills by any chance.? Not like the VFL is for development ;)

We are shy on genuine KPF's with the injury to Esava. Although, they may feel that we are reasonably well served for taller defenders, (even though we have two on the side lines and House can play defence) and they may want to have a look at Gardner in the forward line as he has the physical attributes of a KPP. There is really only one way to find out if he can play a KPF role. Play him there over an extended period.

Also, with Hawkins turning 30 in July and Harry Taylor will be 32 next week, we probably need to start to develop another KPD/F given we have a couple on the list who have not played AFL as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back