Redbacks 2018/19

Of course that's the case
Just unsure why it's an issue. Zampa and Pope are both still very young in spinners terms. Pretty smart move by the kid, Victoria like playing leg spinners.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Victoria should be a producer of talent. Second biggest state. If they're topping up with school kids from a minnow state something has gone wrong.

We have had so little top-level talent come through and produced so few test players in recent times, we finally have a quality prospect on the cards and he's out the door before he's even turned 18. Very frustrating

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Squad named.

Daniel Drew and Nick Benton axed. Conor McInerney, Luke Robins and Elliot Opie in.

Full 2018-19 Redbacks squad
Tom Andrews (age 23, Premier Cricket club: Woodville)
Alex Carey (26, Australian contracted player, Glenelg)
Tom Cooper (31, Port Adelaide)
Michael Cormack (20, rookie, Adelaide)
John Dalton (21, Kensington)
Callum Ferguson (33, West Torrens)
David Grant (20, Kensington)
Travis Head (24, Australian contracted player, Tea Tree Gully)
Spencer Johnson (22, rookie, West Torrens)
Jake Lehmann (25, East Torrens)
Conor McInerney (24, Woodville)
Joe Mennie (29, Adelaide Uni)
Harry Nielsen (23, Woodville)
Elliot Opie (26, Kensington)
Patrick Page Jnr. (20, Tea Tree Gully)
Lloyd Pope (18, rookie, Kensington)
Ben Pengelley (20, rookie, Adelaide)
Kane Richardson (27, Australian contracted player, West Torrens)
Luke Robins (23, East Torrens)
Alex Ross (26, Kensington)
Chadd Sayers (30, Glenelg)
Kelvin Smith (23, West Torrens)
Cameron Valente (23, Adelaide)
Jake Weatherald (23, Adelaide Uni)
Jake Winter (20, rookie, Glenelg)
Nick Winter (24, Adelaide Uni)
Daniel Worrall (26, Kensington)
Adam Zampa (26, East Torrens)

Lost Tom O'Connell to Victoria which is bullshit. Great prospect, 17 years old. Have the Vics not got any wrist spinners among their almost 6 million population? Have to raid from one of the powerhouse states :rolleyes:

Another footy team like the vics. Massive squad.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Victoria should be a producer of talent. Second biggest state. If they're topping up with school kids from a minnow state something has gone wrong.

We have had so little top-level talent come through and produced so few test players in recent times, we finally have a quality prospect on the cards and he's out the door before he's even turned 18. Very frustrating

Our own fault. We offered him a rookie deal and the Vics offered him a full contract. Of course he'll take the better deal. Reckon there are a couple of young leggies going around with more upside anyway.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Our own fault. We offered him a rookie deal and the Vics offered him a full contract. Of course he'll take the better deal. Reckon there are a couple of young leggies going around with more upside anyway.
Yeah apparently we blinked when the Vics came sniffing around Patrick Page a few years ago. Panicked and offered him a decent full contract when we were only going to offer a rookie deal.

Didn't want to make the same mistake again.

But fwiw I think O'Connell is the best red ball prospect in the state

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah apparently we blinked when the Vics came sniffing around Patrick Page a few years ago. Panicked and offered him a decent full contract when we were only going to offer a rookie deal.

Didn't want to make the same mistake again.

But fwiw I think O'Connell is the best red ball prospect in the state

I think he's better than Pope for sure. But I also figure you'd know Pope a lot better than I would. Harms has a lot to like as well. Hopefully we move on from Cormack now.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he's better than Pope for sure. But I also figure you'd know Pope a lot better than I would. Harms has a lot to like as well. Hopefully we move on from Cormack now.
My mate that has a lot to do with SA said O’Connell is a very good spinner. Rates him much higher than Pope. Said he has the best control and side spin he’s seen in his time.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
O'Connell has a serious leg break. Good revs, shape, excellent control. Pope has the 'magic tricks' especially wrong 'un but his leggie and general control not as good.

Both exceptional prospects though. Would have been better to keep both and lose Zampa IMO.

O'Connell's batting and fielding is much closer to an elite level than Pope's who has a bit of work to do from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
O'Connell has a serious leg break. Good revs, shap, excellent control. Pope has the 'magic tricks' especially wrong 'un but his leggie and general control not as good.

Both exceptional prospects though. Would have been better to keep both and lose Zampa IMO.

O'Connell's batting and fielding is much closer to an elite level than Pope's who has a bit of work to do from what I've seen.
Yep, pretty much spot on with everything I’ve heard. Zampa definitely should have been let go instead. Not well like from what I have heard.

Also been told Pope doesn’t work hard enough yet. Hopefully once he’s training full time he comes on because he has a lot of talent.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
O'Connell has a serious leg break. Good revs, shap, excellent control. Pope has the 'magic tricks' especially wrong 'un but his leggie and general control not as good.

Agree, Zampa should've been flicked.

O'Connell has a serious leg break. Good revs, shape, excellent control. Pope has the 'magic tricks' especially wrong 'un but his leggie and general control not as good.

That requires somebody wanting Zampa though.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, pretty much spot on with everything I’ve heard. Zampa definitely should have been let go instead. Not well like from what I have heard.

Also been told Pope doesn’t work hard enough yet. Hopefully once he’s training full time he comes on because he has a lot of talent.

Weird cat.

I remember sitting at the Queens Head hotel one day knocking a couple back and Zamps walks in in full Strikers kit (this was a coupla years ago). Goes to the bar, proceeds to order a pint, sits down, downs it in one gulp and just walks out. So odd.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I heard a whisper the squad has picked up a few injuries during preseason training. Lehmann (hamstring), Spencer Johnson still struggling with his foot, Grant quad, Opie back and one other hamstring (I forget the name I was told - Winter maybe?).

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I heard a whisper the squad has picked up a few injuries during preseason training. Lehmann (hamstring), Spencer Johnson still struggling with his foot, Grant quad, Opie back and one other hamstring (I forget the name I was told - Winter maybe?).
#SackHass

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West End Redbacks 14-player squad for JLT Cup

1. Jake LEHMANN (C)
2. Alex CAREY
3. Tom COOPER
4. Callum FERGUSON
5. Spencer JOHNSON
6. Joe MENNIE
7. Harry NIELSEN
8. Kane RICHARDSON
9. Alex ROSS
10. Chadd SAYERS
11. Cameron VALENTE
12. Jake WEATHERALD
13. Daniel WORRALL
14. Adam ZAMPA

A few surprises. Lehmann captain over Ferguson or Carey. Sayers gets a white ball gig at long last! Cooper just keeps on keeping on. Two keepers in the squad.

Great to see Spencer Johnson fit and firing after an injury-plagued 18 months. Bowls with some pace, swings them a bit.

Is there an Aussie one day tour at any stage during the competition?

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
West End Redbacks 14-player squad for JLT Cup

1. Jake LEHMANN (C)
2. Alex CAREY
3. Tom COOPER
4. Callum FERGUSON
5. Spencer JOHNSON
6. Joe MENNIE
7. Harry NIELSEN
8. Kane RICHARDSON
9. Alex ROSS
10. Chadd SAYERS
11. Cameron VALENTE
12. Jake WEATHERALD
13. Daniel WORRALL
14. Adam ZAMPA

A few surprises. Lehmann captain over Ferguson or Carey. Sayers gets a white ball gig at long last! Cooper just keeps on keeping on. Two keepers in the squad.

Great to see Spencer Johnson fit and firing after an injury-plagued 18 months. Bowls with some pace, swings them a bit.

Is there an Aussie one day tour at any stage during the competition?
Lehman stepped up big time as the captain in the practice matches, it’s why he got the nod. They felt as though they had to move on from Ferg.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting balanced squad. I assumed Johnson was a bat but if he's a bowler you're a bit light on with only 7 genuine bats and Valente.

Yeah it's an odd looking line up.

1. Jake WEATHERALD
2. Alex CAREY (wk)
3. Callum FERGUSON
4. Jake LEHMANN (c)
5. Alex ROSS
6. Cameron VALENTE
7. Joe MENNIE
8. Adam ZAMPA
9. Kane RICHARDSON
10. Daniel WORRALL
11. ???

One of these guys to be included. Maybe Cooper slot in at 6.
3. Tom COOPER
5. Spencer JOHNSON
7. Harry NIELSEN
10. Chadd SAYERS

Presumably we are losing Carey, Zampa and Richardson at some stage so want to have their replacements up there preparing?

Yeah it's an odd looking line up.

1. Jake WEATHERALD
2. Alex CAREY (wk)
3. Callum FERGUSON
4. Jake LEHMANN (c)
5. Alex ROSS
6. Cameron VALENTE
7. Joe MENNIE
8. Adam ZAMPA
9. Kane RICHARDSON
10. Daniel WORRALL
11. ???

One of these guys to be included. Maybe Cooper slot in at 6.
3. Tom COOPER
5. Spencer JOHNSON
7. Harry NIELSEN
10. Chadd SAYERS

Presumably we are losing Zampa and Richardson at some stage so want to have their replacements up there preparing?
Mennie at 7 is a very long tail, despite how good he, Zampa and Richo are with the bat. I'm guessing that Cooper plays as he's probably the best 6th bowler of the squad.

Back