Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

We picked up a Blount replacement in UDFA Josh Adams. 6'2 220

Didn't do drills at the combine, but his Pro-Day numbers were very impressive, especially for his size

Perhaps the biggest winner today was Josh Adams. Adams showed the speed we all knew he had, but also the quickness that we were unsure he possessed. In the running back position group, Adams’ 40 time would’ve been 5th at the combine, his 3 cone drill time would have been the fastest at the combine, and his 60 yard yard shuttle time would’ve been 2nd at the combine.

40: 4.58 (1.65 10 split), 4.51 (1.64)
3Cone: 6.75
60Shuttle: 11.31
Vertical: 34"

Last edited:
I didn't pay attention to the end of the draft, but I got linked that Mailata tape and my first reaction to it is was that it was very fun to watch him barrel through that U-12s hoops team I coached, the talentless pricks. Oh he's 6' 8"? Carry on.

Not even to go lick the liberty bell? (sorry, How I Met your Mother reference haha).

I couldn't go to the States without going to Philly. Don't care if it's not a 'tourist destination'. It's my number 1 place I want to visit haha.

If you treat it like say Melbourne, where it's not much of a tourist destination - though the Art Museum and National Park are still significantly better than anything here - but rather just immerse yourself in the city's culture for a few days, then you can have a lot of fun with it.

Thriving food scene: Reading Terminal is a must, the fried chicken + donuts combo at Federal Donuts is amazing, and for the most part it's all pretty affordable. Nightlife around Easy Passyunk and Harbour Park in the summer are pretty cool spots, music scene on point too if you're into it.

Howie Roseman may have helped the Eagles get an extra compensatory pick by being creative with Mike Wallace’s contract

You might not have realized it, but today is a noteworthy day on the NFL calendar. May 9 marks the first day where free agent signings do not count against (or towards) a team’s compensatory pick formula.

With that in mind, Over The Cap released an updated compensatory pick projection since the formulas are virtually determined by now.

As it turns out, the Eagles are potentially projected to get one more comp pick than originally thought, thanks to some creative contract structuring from Howie Roseman. OTC’s Nick Korte has the explanation:

The other unusual case involves Mike Wallace, going from Baltimore to Philadelphia. As I mentioned above, the Eagles are a team that have been largely ignored in recent comp pick studies, but historically this is mistaken to do so. From 2004 to 2011, the Eagles got multiple comp picks in six of those eight drafts, and were second only to Baltimore in the most total comp picks awarded. Howie Roseman was a high level executive with the team during those times, and looking at how he’s crafted some of his CFA signings, there are signs that he just as determined as Ozzie Newsome, Bill Belichick, or John Elway in manipulating the comp pick system.

This brings us back to Wallace. Early reports had his Eagles’ deal as one year and “up to” $4 million. However, it was soon discovered that there was plenty of funny money in that deal. $2.o85 million of that $4 million are in Likely To Be Earned incentives, and among the most laughable was a $585,000 weight bonus to be earned by reporting to offseason workouts under 250 pounds. It’s laughable because Wallace, a wide receiver, has consistently played at a relatively svelte 200 pounds. But the comp pick formula shines insight on this unusual bonus, as it’s established that weight bonuses do not count. (See Terrance Knighton demoting a comp pick for Denver in 2016.)

But it doesn’t end there. Wallace’s $1 million signing bonus is actually an OATSB–Other Amount Treated As Signing Bonus. OTC also believes that this OATSB is a guaranteed workout bonus. Although it’s unclear how the comp pick formula will judge such a payment, it has been very consistent in not counting workout bonuses of any kind. Because there are many signs suggesting that the Eagles are manipulating the formula with Wallace’s contract, I’m therefore guessing that this $1 million will not count either. If that guess is correct, all that’s left to count is Wallace’s veteran minimum base salary of $915,000, and while he could still qualify if he plays enough snaps, currently that’s not enough to break the current qualification limit of $1 million.

The end result? If Wallace does not qualify, as I have it so right now, it opens up an additional 6th rounder to Philadelphia for Patrick Robinson, and it potentially costs Baltimore a 7th for Wallace.

So THAT explains why Wallace has a bizarre weight clause in his contract.

It’s interesting that we don’t see this tactic used more often. Maybe it’s just another case of Roseman playing three-dimensional chess while the rest of the league plays checkers.

If the Eagles do end up receiving a compensatory pick for Robinson, that’ll give the Eagles a total of 11 picks in the 2019 NFL Draft. That’s some real nice ammo to help Philadelphia replenish their roster with young, inexpensive talent.

Eagles 2019 NFL Draft picks
1st

2nd (from Baltimore Ravens)

2nd

3rd

4th

4th (projected compensatory pick)

5th

6th

6th (projected compensatory pick)

6th (projected compensatory pick)

7th

Eagles GM Howie Roseman was a guest earlier this month at the Wharton People Analytics Conference where he talked about what it takes to build a winning organisation.

Wentz's comeback looks to be smack bang on track:)

Nick Foles, Carson Wentz and the Faking of an Eagles Quarterback Controversy
MIKE TANIERMAY 29, 2018
hi-res-4a108f8d4d5640101b8530f409cca891_crop_north.jpg

Chris Szagola/Associated Press

There was plenty going on during OTAs last week for the Eagles. The defending champions began fielding tough questions about their impending White House visit. Veteran linebacker Mychal Kendricks was released, and newly signed linebacker Paul Worrilow suffered an ACL tear on the same afternoon. Michael Bennett, embroiled in legal obligations, was noticeably absent.

Bor-ing!

Who really cares about linebackers? And that sociopolitical stuff is so last week. You can't swing a coach's whistle without hitting an angry president these days. We need something to talk about that won't make your eyes glaze over or your father-in-law launch into a red-faced tirade.

Something like an Eagles quarterback controversy, and wouldn't you know...

NFL Network's Michael Silver reported last week that the Browns offered the Eagles the 35th overall pick in April's draft in exchange for Nick Foles. The report sparked a fresh round of speculation that Foles might be available for the right price—not to mention making extra waves thanks to some schoolyard taunts between the NFL's most territorial inside reporters.

e257d024869b27fff1a0c6459ffde68c_crop_exact.jpg

Michael Conroy/Associated Press
Unfortunately, it also came after Doug Pederson addressed the media, so we didn't get to hear him answer questions like this about it: Coach Pederson, regarding the situation and circumstances Carson Wentz finds himself in, can you talk about the possibility of miscommunication regarding leadership potentialities under clearly defined parameters between him and Foles? (Rule 1 of Sportswriter Quarterback Controversy Manufacturing Club is to never ask a direct question about a quarterback controversy; the coach, after all, will just flatly deny everything, even/especially if two quarterbacks are wrestling in the hallway for the right to lead first-team seven-on-sevens. A properly sneaky question about quarterback friction must sound like bad couples therapy, with everyone circling around the point.) With so much else going on at the start of OTAs, Pederson hadn't fielded many of those questions before the report last week either; his early-May press conference featured more trawling for intrigue.

Wentz also spoke last week, fielding a handful of bait-trap questions along the lines of: Carson, because you can't play for several months, are there ways that you can lead your leadership role into something more leaderly so that you can assert your assertions of assertiveness? But Wentz is the last quarterback who would ever offer kindling for a quarterback brouhaha bonfire; his public persona is so bland he makes Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan sound like Key and Peele.

8e7d6e87f60030f53538dc508b29ffa5_crop_exact.jpg

Luckily, NFL fans and the media don't need fodder from Pederson or Wentz; they're very capable of fanning the fire on a quarterback controversy all by themselves. In the Eagles' case, it's a two-pronged attack: never-ending Foles trade speculation as the frontal assault, with probing for bruised feelings or Foles-Wentz locker room discord on the flanks.

The Wentz-Foles controversy spontaneously winked into existence like some evil genie while the confetti was still falling on the field after Super Bowl LII. I was in the airport the next morning when I fielded my first question about it from a sports-talk host; Foles' fingerprints were still wet on the Lombardi Trophy, but my colleagues were already shipping him to the Broncos or Jets. It was like asking parents how they plan to pay for college while they cradle their newborn for the first time. There was no basis for speculation then and none now but some moldy month-old trade gossip.

By the day of the Super Bowl parade, the sports-talk hive mind decided that trading Foles for a second-round pick, which worked out so well for the Patriots and Jimmy Garoppolo, made perfect sense for the Eagles. I began politely declining radio appearances because they started feeling like being cornered by flat-Earthers.

Foles trade speculation remained a subplot through free agency and draft season. Now that draft chatter has petered out, Foles trade tales and fishing for friction are back, and they won't go away until there's plenty of real football to talk about.

Quarterback controversies mean boffo box office for folks in my profession. Wentz vs. Foles (or, more realistically, Foles vs. the Block), Lamar Jackson vs. Joe Flacco, Tom vs. Time: These stories keep us from starving during the summer doldrums.

That's why we poke and prod our way through pressers instead of communicating. One stray quote by a coach can feed our whole colony for weeks.

There's often something substantial to our speculation, too: June mumblings sometimes sow the seeds for November decisions.

But sometimes we are just nattering to keep the conversation going. And this is obviously one of those times. Here's why:

1. Possessing two Super Bowl-caliber quarterbacks is not a problem. Having zero Super Bowl-caliber quarterbacks on the roster is a problem. Having two of them, under affordable contracts, is a blessing. It's like having a sports coupe in the driveway and a reliable sedan in the garage but only paying $350 per month for the two of them. No one in that situation would think, Gosh, I better ship one of these cars to Cleveland so I can buy something nice next year.

257f10e70d5b545a407b16a517aa5f1c_crop_exact.jpg

Matt Slocum/Associated Press
2. There is no question about the Wentz-Foles hierarchy. To drum up some drama, it's necessary to tout Foles as the "Reigning Super Bowl MVP," preferably in a Vegas boxing-ring announcer voice. Foles was indeed Super Bowl MVP, as were Santonio Holmes, Larry Brown, Desmond Howard, Malcolm Smith and other good-not-great players of seasons past. As recently as New Year's Day, he was considered the most likely reason the Eagles would miss the Super Bowl. No one was offering two first-round picks for him in April, and there was no compelling reason for the Eagles to Garoppolo him for a second-rounder. Instead…

3. The Eagles prepared for this scenario. They adjusted Foles' contract just before the draft, fiddling with his incentives and adding fins and spoilers to guarantee Foles either his freedom or (if Wentz's knee melts) $20 million in 2019. The new deal is like a pre-emptive financial apology, and it incentivizes both the Eagles and Foles to be patient and wait out the year.

There is no motivation for anyone to turn the Eagles quarterback situation into a quagmire. The Eagles risk rushing back Wentz from injury by trading Foles or touting him as a potential challenger. Foles damages his brand as a reliable veteran "winner"-type quarterback by making waves. Wentz, who had the team's city wrapped around his finger six months ago, just needs to rehab his knee and point to his highlight reel to reassert himself.

The only party with any incentive to cause a quarterback controversy is us.

235e3505928f48b665321074320d90e7_crop_exact.jpg

The real news out of Eagles camp was that Wentz was able to participate in some football drills. He moved and planted to throw with a brace on his knee. He appears to be on schedule (or ahead of it) in his ACL recovery. The Eagles made Wentz (and only Wentz) available for a podium press conference last week, as opposed to hiding him in some Andrew Luck Mystery Box, which was a tacit sign the team is confident that Wentz will be its Week 1 starter.

Which means Foles, the Reigning Super Bowl MVP, must be disgruntled, right? And the Patriots need to put some pressure on Tom Brady. Foles to the Patriots for a future first-round pick: Now that's some hot-and-spicy speculation...

Sorry, force of habit. When it comes to whipping up an offseason controversy where none exists, we're all a little guilty.

So sounds like Trump had a hissy fit when he found out only 2 Eagles players (Foles & Wentz I assume) + Pederson were going to attend the Whitehouse ceremony to honour the SB Champs, so he cancelled it.

I quite like the idea it pissed him off greatly that most of the team made the decision not to go & I could hope that he might glean some meaning from that but I've more chance winning Lotto this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are some of the more specific details of The Ring, a version of which will be available for fans to purchase on Friday morning, along with other Eagles Super Bowl Championship jewelry:

• The 2017 Super Bowl Championship Ring is made of pure 10-karat white gold, adorned with a total of 219 diamonds and 17 rare green sapphires.

• The Eagle head logo is displayed with 52 pavé-set diamonds, signifying a victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 52.
  • The Lombardi Trophy contains 16 diamonds, one for each of the team’s 16 victories in the 2017 season.
  • The 13 diamonds at the base of the trophy represent a franchise-record-tying 13 wins in the regular season.
  • At the top of the Lombardi Trophy, three diamonds represent the three postseason victories. A sizeable marquise-cut diamond at the top of the trophy represents the first Super Bowl Championship.
  • The bezel of the ring features a waterfall of 127 diamonds, paying tribute to the "Philly Special.” The 127 diamonds represent the sum of the jersey numbers of the three players who handled the football after the snap on the fourth-and-goal play at the 1-yard line. Running back Corey Clement, No. 30, took the direct snap, flipped the football to tight end Trey Burton, No. 88, who rolled right, and threw a touchdown pass to quarterback Nick Foles, No. 9, for the touchdown.
  • The ring also boasts four green sapphires to represent the franchise’s 4 NFL Championships – in 1948, 1949, 1960, and now Super Bowl LII.
  • To honor the great Eagles fans, the ring includes a silhouette of Lincoln Financial Field as well as the title of the fight song, “Fly, Eagles Fly,” spelled out on the outer band of the ring.
  • To recall the “Underdog” theme that galvanized the team, the City of Philadelphia, and Eagles fans in the playoffs, a dog mask is inscribed on the inside of the ring for the players and coaches.
  • The bottom of the inside arbor is inscribed with each player’s signature – the first-time championship rings have ever featured engraved signatures.
  • A spectacular championship ring, it also includes the team’s central mantra from the season, “We All We Got, We All We Need.” The word “family” sits below the Super Bowl LII logo and serves as a reminder of the team’s commitment and dedication to each other.

Heaps more detailed photos in the link below

Including the Underdog logo. Very cool

gejlfa19n73g3fb27jym.jpg

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/jeffrey-lurie-explains-the-details-of-the-super-bowl-ring

EDIT:

Well deserved for #20

DftDXHTWAAAcpyG.jpg:large

Also Merrill getting his is fantastic too

Last edited:

If it wasn't for this fella it's highly unlikely I ever would have become an Eagles fan, I saw some of his highlights on the ABC's weekly NFL show in what was probably '88 & was instantly hooked. Pity it never really worked out for Cunningham at the Eagles, what could have been if they had gotten his head screwed on right early in his career. But then I probably wouldn't have had to endure ~ 30 years of mostly disappointment & frustration which was all alleviated & forgiven on one magic day earlier this year;).

So cheers Randall!!

Is it just me or does Malita come across as a bit stupid?
The locker room interview sounded like there is a bit of frustration there both ways & the “meeting halfway” talk was a bit off to my ears.
I think he will get cut sooner rather than later.
Hope I’m wrong

Last edited:
Lombardi is a tool, no doubt, but the only tiny break I would give him is that Pederson's play calling & game engagement in '16 left a lot to be desired at times so there was the window there for a shock jock type to start making some noise & enter Lombardi stage left.

Clearly Pederson improved markedly from '16 to '17. Could '16 Pederson have managed the Foles situation like the '17 version did? Not even remotely.

if you dont like lombardi then you dont like learning about football.

lombardi's conviction on pedersen's coaching talent stemmed from the fact that pedersen's nfl coaching experience is limited, the fact he admitted he was wrong shows he is not an egomaniac. I think pedersen's ability to listen to those around him offset his lack of experience. Plus he had stones bigger than riverboat ron.

its funny how coaching works, I think there were a few ppl in here calling for pedersen to get the axe after his first season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back