1944 Grand Final (30/9/1944) : Fitzroy 9.12.66 def Richmond 7.9.51 @ Junction Oval.

Just went for a bit of a read and thought it worthwhile to share this here.
The article is from The Argus, October 2, 1944.
Gained from the NLA's Trove website, viewable at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11363678

Note that the article's format is counter-intuitive: read the left-hand column until the right-hand column peters out, then read the right-hand column, then return to the left-hand column for the third and final section.
ofL9dXm.jpg

PwVszFT.jpg

Still technically our last senior, premiership season flag, as neither Brisbane nor the Fitzroy Reds were in a true sense exactly Fitzroy, and while Fitzroy has come back into existence as a competing team from 2009, only runners' up trophies have been forthcoming since that time.

Apparently Dyer had been on a rampage in Richmond's previous outing, and for him to be restricted as much as he was this game, surely was a pretty big factor in the result.

I also repeat here some footage from the match that I pinched from our Video thread, which somebody found on the Brisbane board :

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
East Perth (WAFL), Fitzroy (VAFA)
I think their opinion was based more on the Tigers' performances in the lead-up compared to that of the Roys.

Going into the game, the Roys had won their previous seven games, including beating the Tigers by 11 points in the second semi-final and 50 points at Brunswick Street five weeks before that.
Richmond had lost another two games, albeit by only one and four points, during those two months, so on form Fitzroy were entitled to be strong favourites.
Perhaps the wise men of the pen were basing the Tigers' favouritism on them being reigning premiers, as Bojangles mentioned.

Going into the game, the Roys had won their previous seven games, including beating the Tigers by 11 points in the second semi-final and 50 points at Brunswick Street five weeks before that.
Richmond had lost another two games, albeit by only one and four points, during those two months, so on form Fitzroy were entitled to be strong favourites.
Perhaps the wise men of the pen were basing the Tigers' favouritism on them being reigning premiers, as Bojangles mentioned.
I'm basing it on the text of the article itself.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The dominant factor in our win,was the sensational rucking of Bert Clay,which Dyer acknowledged. He kept putting it down the throats of Ruthven and Stackpole all day.Ruthven was the classiest small man on the park.The footage you shared,gave an excellent indication of Clay 's power and size,at the opening bounce where he has two mighty whacks,and no-one can get near him.He was a great clubman and played into the 50s I think.Could do it all and very intimidating .

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Fair enough, Mobbs.
I think a team going into a big game as favourites adds unwanted pressure, so it was a good thing in 1944 that the bookmakers, journalists, etc. of the day were on the Richmond bandwagon.
Coincidentally, it was 50 seasons after Fitzroy's triumph over Richmond that we lost P Broderick, M Dundas and M Gale to the Tigers, with J Hogg joining the Lions in exchange.

FitzroyPete

Senior List
Jan 22, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Thanks for posting the Argus article and footage of the 1944 Grand Final, Mobbs.
George Handley's book - written in 1990 or thereabouts - devotes 20 pages to our last VFL premiership.
Well worth the read.

Thanks for posting the Argus article and footage of the 1944 Grand Final, Mobbs.
George Handley's book - written in 1990 or thereabouts - devotes 20 pages to our last VFL premiership.
Well worth the read.

I plan to get hold of that book one day! Awesome.
Yes I think 1944 was a better year than 50 years later :)

Back