Senior 1. Jack Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've kicked 63 goals in 7 games. Jack has kicked 6. About 10% of goals. We have a forward line that needs to kick more goals. Jack is a team player and often looks to assist. I'll give him a tick if he can get to 20 goals this season with his team first attitude.

Jack may have kicked 6 but he's not kicked a goal in 3 out of 6 games this season.

No doubting we need to kick more as a team, I just think he needs to improve his consistency with scoring.

It's just a small thing I think he can make gains in this season. He's definitely doing well and plays the team game well, I just think that's an easy win.

My only 'negative' suggestion is that I'd like him to be hitting the scoreboard a little more often than he does.

He does a lot of things quite well but I don't feel like he's enough of a goal threat.

I see your point, but I reckon the better point is that he probably hasn't converted as well as he should have.

He's had 14 scoring shots in a touch over 5 games. That's not bad for a 19 year old in his second year, who happens to be playing as a 3rd tall in the worst forward line in the competition.

Had he converted more opportunities - say kicked 10 goals 4 behinds, rather than 6 goals 8 behinds - it'd look a lot better, wouldn't it?

He wasn't helped by his role on the weekend before he went off, either. Too often he was the #1 target which isn't his go, at least not this early in his career.

I see your point, but I reckon the better point is that he probably hasn't converted as well as he should have.

He's had 14 scoring shots in a touch over 5 games. That's not bad for a 19 year old in his second year, who happens to be playing as a 3rd tall in the worst forward line in the competition.

Had he converted more opportunities - say kicked 10 goals 4 behinds, rather than 6 goals 8 behinds - it'd look a lot better, wouldn't it?

He wasn't helped by his role on the weekend before he went off, either. Too often he was the #1 target which isn't his go, at least not this early in his career.
Yeah that would certainly help. His set shot accuracy in front of goal has been a bit disappointing. Plenty of time to correct that though.

It'll help him a bit more when big H is in the side as well I think.

Yeah that would certainly help. His set shot accuracy in front of goal has been a bit disappointing. Plenty of time to correct that though.

It'll help him a bit more when big H is in the side as well I think.
He will kick more goals when his tank is better and is able to recover more quickly. Rarely missed in the U18 Champs. Great kicking action.

Congratulations SON OF A :gun:

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

DCrWJFYUwAA0Q7a.jpg

SilvagniRSPic3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've kicked 63 goals in 7 games. Jack has kicked 6. About 10% of goals. We have a forward line that needs to kick more goals. Jack is a team player and often looks to assist. I'll give him a tick if he can get to 20 goals this season with his team first attitude.
I am not sure Jack is as confident kicking at goal this year as he was last year. Last year (and as an U18) he rarely missed, but he generally didn't try for goal if he was 50 m out. This year he has tried to kick it a bit further, and has not been as accurate. In fact, in the first few weeks he really had the yips. After snapping a few and kicking a few from 35 - 40 m, he appears to be getting his confidence back.
But even last year, when his goal kicking was very good, he would look to pass the ball off (and usually did it pretty well). This year he has managed some terrible blunders trying to move the ball on. But I cannot and will not blame him for trying to bring his team mates into the play. I will say that he does have to do things that little more quickly sometimes, and make sure his handballs or kicks hit the target.

Could be his workrate is higher this year, by design as a 2nd year player, and fatigue is as much to blame.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Could be his workrate is higher this year, by design as a 2nd year player, and fatigue is as much to blame.

Fatigue is definitely a factor, but I don't think it is the defining one. With more experience he will make better judgements as to what option to choose, and he will have the self belief to move the ball on that little more quickly. There isn't much between success and failure sometimes and Jack hasn't missed by much with his choices. In years to come the risk will come off more often and he will look like a genius. For that matter, training his reflexes won't hurt either. It didn't hurt Diesel Williams back in the day.

I am not sure Jack is as confident kicking at goal this year as he was last year. Last year (and as an U18) he rarely missed, but he generally didn't try for goal if he was 50 m out. This year he has tried to kick it a bit further, and has not been as accurate. In fact, in the first few weeks he really had the yips. After snapping a few and kicking a few from 35 - 40 m, he appears to be getting his confidence back.
But even last year, when his goal kicking was very good, he would look to pass the ball off (and usually did it pretty well). This year he has managed some terrible blunders trying to move the ball on. But I cannot and will not blame him for trying to bring his team mates into the play. I will say that he does have to do things that little more quickly sometimes, and make sure his handballs or kicks hit the target.
He has kicked 11.14 this season, which is disappointing, but the positive is that means he is having a couple of shots on goal each week. Another couple of pre-seasons & that should increase to 3-4 shots a week & with a bit of focus on improving his accuracy could translate into 40+ goals per season.

I have to admit I was unsure of Jack. I thought he might disappoint when trying to live to lofty standards and possibly be on the soft side. He has worked hard, is desperate with a big heart and very smart. Can't help but be blown away when reports are coming in saying Ben is twice as good at the same age. Happy Days.

He's been heavily scrutinized this year and I haven't watched him play much AFL.

I did watch him closely in the VFL last week, though, and I thought that he was in the top 3 players on the ground (with Francis and Redman).

The mark of good VFL performances, as far as I'm concerned, is value for possession because that's what translates to AFL and it's what tends to distinguish AFL-standard performances from the VFL-standard performances. In close it's the ability to wear physical pressure to dish out clean handballs or bust out of congestion. Dylan Clarke and Parish this year are two examples of players who have been prolific playing VFL but whose influence on games does not reflect the volume of possession.

Obviously there is a threshold for possessions that a midfielder, in particular, does not want to drop below but 23 possessions using the ball in the way that Silvagni did easily had him in the best players on the ground.

It looks to me that the move to play him as an inside mid is the right one. He's a big kid, aggressive and seems to understand the craft of winning and using the ball in close. Some of his kicking was sublime.

There are a lot of similarities between what I saw of Silvagni and the footy Kyle Langford was playing in the twos last year. In some ways Silvagni is more advanced because he's stronger and more aggressive though he doesn't cover the ground as well.

Some of you may scoff at the comparison as being a positive but the reality is that we've wasted the opportunity to develop Langford at senior level until now and his issue was always coming to terms with the pace and intensity of AFL. He's now starting to adapt and his use of the ball at AFL level is reflecting what it had been in the VFL (where was essentially dominating).

I'd be lying if I said I'll be watching more of Silvagni playing VFL in the near future but if he maintains, and preferably builds, on his performances on Saturday I'm pretty confident that you've got yourselves some long term support for Cripps.

Thanks for sharing - pace and the ability to cover the ground quickly is the issue

The smarts are there and he is still able to develop physically so part of the equation is there

The lad has come of age. Smart footballer, always busts a gut, can do some freakish things but he is a lot stronger now and really ready to cement his spot. Has copped heaps but deserves some love after today.

The lad has come of age. Smart footballer, always busts a gut, can do some freakish things but he is a lot stronger now and really ready to cement his spot. Has copped heaps but deserves some love after today.
He was excellent in the first half. Close to our best player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back