kicking on both sides

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at that game. City end of Subiaco Oval, on his left tucked up against the boundary from 45m. Drilled it on the run under pressure. Freakish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup!! Had not alot of clue about him then and thought he was a right footer!!
Funny the other thing I remember about tgat day was the bloody stinking hot Sun!
Was fresh from Tassie and it nearly killed me!!

Pretty sure i saw this stat in a recent article.

Mitchell was something like 51/49 between his preferred and non-preferred (if you can call it a preferred for him).

Angus Brayshaw was the next closest of current players at 62/38 or something similar.

I see Angus use it a lot but it's largely for long kicks down the line. If I want someone to hit a tight target on the opposite foot, it's Nathan Jones any day of the week.

Shuey is the best non prefered kick ive seen. hits tracer bullets off both feet at speed with ease.

At our club Taylor Walker can kick fairly long and well on both sides. He's repeatedly emphasised his belief kids need to train both sides for handballing and kicking.

Was going to say Taylor Walker. I watch a lot of Adelaide games and he seems to absolutely nail passses with his non preferred.

At Geelong Ablett is quite good. Hawkins too I think?

Liam Duggan burst on to the scene with his kicking on both sides of his body. Unfortunately his kicking in general has regressed and we rarely see his opposite anymore.

Agree with Shuey as well. One of the only players in the comp that could hit a chest with a +40m low flying dart.
Yeo is getting there and is very good on his left as well
JK at goal on his left is a safe bet.

I think its unconcionable that professional sportsmen arent at least serviceable on their non preferred.

Andrew gaff has improved out of sight this year by becoming a little less one sided..... no prizes for guessing who influenced that new skill - duh i wonder - maybe mr try figure which is my non preferred sammy mitchell.

Ablett isn't bad on his left

He never looks that natural on it to me. His dad and brother both much better.

Funnily enough I reckon Danger is almost better on his left when he has to use it. He's landed some big bombs from outside 50 on his left and hits lead up targets pretty well using it. Not that he belongs in this conversation, just an observation.

Funny this should come up, I was just talking with some mates about it today.
I don't know how the numbers actually compare, but it seems to me not as many players these days are good on both feet, or at least able to swap when needs be.
I grew up thinking good players, league level players had to be good on both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current player? I don't know. But this thread reminds me of one my all time favourite quotes. When asked after a game why he kicked with his non-preferred all afternoon, O'Bree said 'I felt like it, I've been losing faith in the right foot, so I thought I'd use the left today.'
I’d have preferred if O’Bree avoided using either foot to be honest.

Zaine Cordy is a bit ungainly on both feet.

But he is surprisingly effective on both. Has no qualms kicking on the left peg.

Its astounding how much emphasis is placed on athleticism at the expense of ball skills these days, too much of the bs dribble and banana kicks instead of putting in the time to learn to kick/handball on both sides, same goes for goal kicking in general its a blight on the game at the moment.

Ablett isn't bad on his left
He's very good on his left - no shock that his old man was very, very big on being a two-footed player (and could dob it fifty on his left). Hocking was the best at it from Geelong (Garry), but rumour is that he was ambidextrous.

Motlop is the worst I've seen for that. For such a skilled player, he'd seemingly prefer to kick the ball inside-out over his own head than ever use the left peg.

not a big enough sample size but josh diacos has done some very natural looking left foot passes in the last couple games.

can only assume it is something peter made him learn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back