2018 Rolling All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't understand how this is accurate. Tarrant competes in LESS THAN 2 1 on 1 contests per game? That's ridiculous. I watch most games each week, but obviously never miss a North game. There is no way he competes in less than 2 1 on 1 contests per game. He'll spoil someone 1 on 1 on the wing, then be back spoiling someone at FB two minutes later. Commentators don't mention it, that's the only reason I can think of that it doesn't get noted.

But if we want to choose stats that favour one player to try to prove some point:

Andrews - I50's 0.8, rebound 50's 3.3, tackles 2.2, metres gained 202, goal assists 2
Tarrant - I50's 1.4, rebound50's 4.5, tackles 1.7, metres gained 304, goal assists 4
Rance - I50's 0.4, rebound50's 4.2, tackles 1.1, metres gained 263, goal assists 0

You can pick and choose stats to make certain players look better, that's why most people who watch a lot of football prefer to judge impact themselves.
It definitely wouldnt be because of the commentators. Theres a room full of people thats job is to watch the game and record stats and I dont think they would be listening to commentary.

That doesnt prove anything tho. My stats were backing up Rance 1 on 1 and rebound ability which are the 2 most important aspects of a key defender. I wasn't just cherry picking random stats like this.

The stats you have shown mean little. i50 and goal assists are so very irrelevant for backmen.
Rebound 50s are relevant because they are part of the intercept and rebound aspect, which is why I included it. But you havnt included intercept marks or score launches which are other aspects of the same thing.
Tackles is an ok one. Defensive pressure is important, but not usually a key defenders main task. They more compete in the air.

If I said that exact same opinion without any stats do you think it holds more merit? How does that make any sense?
Stats arent to prove anything, they are there to back up an opinion. I do watch footy and judge impact myself, but then what? "Rance is better because I say so". Who would give a s**t about that? Why should anyone listen to my random opinion?

It definitely wouldnt be because of the commentators. Theres a room full of people thats job is to watch the game and record stats and I dont think they would be listening to commentary.

That doesnt prove anything tho. My stats were backing up Rance 1 on 1 and rebound ability which are the 2 most important aspects of a key defender. I wasn't just cherry picking random stats like this.

The stats you have shown mean little. i50 and goal assists are so very irrelevant for backmen.
Rebound 50s are relevant because they are part of the intercept and rebound aspect, which is why I included it. But you havnt included intercept marks or score launches which are other aspects of the same thing.
Tackles is an ok one. Defensive pressure is important, but not usually a key defenders main task. They more compete in the air.

If I said that exact same opinion without any stats do you think it holds more merit? How does that make any sense?
Stats arent to prove anything, they are there to back up an opinion. I do watch footy and judge impact myself, but then what? "Rance is better because I say so". Who would give a s**t about that? Why should anyone listen to my random opinion?

You are still cherry picking though. You're saying "score launches" are important, but that inside 50's and goal assists are not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of a "score launch" to get the ball inside 50 and to score a goal? Yet Tarrant outpoints Rance in those areas, so you strangely discount them even after saying score launches are important. Weird huh?

Different defenders are good at different aspects of the game, so it makes sense that you focus on areas Rance is good at. That doesn't stop other supporters from doing the same.

You are still cherry picking though. You're saying "score launches" are important, but that inside 50's and goal assists are not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of a "score launch" to get the ball inside 50 and to score a goal? Yet Tarrant outpoints Rance in those areas, so you strangely discount them even after saying score launches are important. Weird huh?

Different defenders are good at different aspects of the game, so it makes sense that you focus on areas Rance is good at. That doesn't stop other supporters from doing the same.

If anyone is cherry picking it’s you. I think we all know which stats are likely most relevant when it comes to key defenders, and I’ll bet you Rance on average, collectively rates higher than any other key defender in the company - but that means nothing bc you know, stats, and Rance lol

B: Tom Jonas (PA) - Harris Andrews (BL) - Tom Stewart (GEE)
HB: Rory Laird (ADEL) - Robbie Tarrant (NM) - Shannon Hurn (WCE)
C: Adam Treloar (COLL) - Clayton Oliver (MELB) - Andrew Gaff (WCE)
HF: Shaun Higgins (NM) - Lance Franklin (SYD) - Robbie Gray (PA)
F: Josh Caddy (RICH) - Ben Brown (NM) - Jesse Hogan (MELB)
R: Max Gawn (MELB) - Nathan Fyfe (FREO) - Tom Mitchell (HAW)
I: Brodie Grundy (COLL) - Jack Macrae (WB) - Dustin Martin (RICH) - Elliott Yeo (WCE)

Rest of squad:
DEF (6): Alex Rance (RICH), Daniel Talia (ADEL), Jake Lloyd (SYD), Jimmy Webster (STK), James Sicily (HAW), Jeremy McGovern (WCE)
MID (6): Patrick Cripps (CARL), Steele Sidebottom (COLL), Bryce Gibbs (ADEL), Luke Parker (SYD), Gary Ablett Jr (GEE), Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
FWD (5): Jeremy Cameron (GWS), Will Hoskin-Elliott (COLL), Justin Westhoff (PA), Shane Edwards (RICH), Josh J. Kennedy (WCE)
RUCK (1): Nic Naitanui (WCE)

"I think he tips out Alex Rance as we sit here right now for the All-Australian full back."

Matthew Lloyd on Mark Blicavs, AFL.com.au

This season, Mark Blicavs has spearheaded the Number 1 Defence in the competition, conceding a total of 3 goals to his direct opponents and keeping the following players goalless:

Jesse Hogan (3rd in Coleman)
Charlie Dixon
Jonathan Patton
Will Hoskin-Elliot (7th in Coleman)
Charlie Curnow
Ben Brown (1st in Coleman)

Fellow All-Australian fullback fancy Alex Rance has conceded a total of 24 goals to his direct opponents this year, keeping the following players goalless:

Dean Kent
Darcy Tucker
Shaun McKernan

Fellow All-Australian fullback fancy Alex Rance has conceded a total of 24 goals to his direct opponents this year, keeping the following players goalless:

Dean Kent
Darcy Tucker
Shaun McKernan

H-hang on a second, look at these exact stats that I've deemed inportant! :(

Blicavs is about as relevant to the AA FB position as Alex Rance. In other words, he's not even a full back.

Geelong have plagiarised the Richmond 2017 game plan down to the most minute detail, and they have the home ground "funnel" that massively distorts the accurate representation of their defence.

Sunday will be interesting from a tactical perspective, and the fact that their will be more space involved..

Blicavs is definitely building an excellent case, but I think Harris Andrews body of work has been better to this point. There's every chance both could eventually be picked, but Andrews is ahead at this stage. Would hate to see him overlooked.

If it comes down to those two then it isn't even a contest.

Harris wins simply by virtue that he is an actual full back most of the time, although he does double team to some extent, whereas the Geelong defence is 6 blokes clustering around the centre of the narrow Kardinia Park funnel.

If it comes down to those two then it isn't even a contest.

Harris wins simply by virtue that he is an actual full back most of the time, although he does double team to some extent, whereas the Geelong defence is 6 blokes clustering around the centre of the narrow Kardinia Park funnel.
I agree to an extent, but I actually think Bilcavs is very good one on one. He is helped by the system, but nearly every backman is. I don't think he's defined by it.

This season, Mark Blicavs has spearheaded the Number 1 Defence in the competition, conceding a total of 3 goals to his direct opponents and keeping the following players goalless:

Jesse Hogan (3rd in Coleman)
Charlie Dixon
Jonathan Patton
Will Hoskin-Elliot (7th in Coleman)
Charlie Curnow
Ben Brown (1st in Coleman)
That can't be true, as Hoskin-Elliot has kicked at least one goal in every round this season (the only player to have done so). Hogan had also kicked at least one goal every round -up until Queen's Birthday
If you're meaning Blicavs played on them for a quarter or a couple of minutes -then it's not such a big achievement.

I agree to an extent, but I actually think Bilcavs is very good one on one. He is helped by the system, but nearly every backman is. I don't think he's defined by it.

The usual suspects are blowing wind up his clacker v Brown recently, but you don't see them factoring in the quality of Norths inside 50 delivery that day, which I assure you was truly abysmal. In fact, it's the primary reason Geelong even won the match. The narrowness of the ground played some role, but it was still very, very poor.

If Brown get's the ball dropped on his head one out vs Blicavs, Blicavs would be dragged by quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That can't be true, as Hoskin-Elliot has kicked at least one goal in every round this season (the only player to have done so). Hogan had also kicked at least one goal very round -up until Queen's Birthday
If you're meaning Blicavs played on them for a quarter or a couple of minutes -then it's not such a big achievement.

Nailed it.

Hogan kicked 3 goals against Geelong in round 1.
You might as well say Dangerfield held Hogan goalless, as he didn't kick any goals on Dangerfield either.

Many folks can't see past a 3 minute television clip mate.

In fact, far too many folks.

That can't be true, as Hoskin-Elliot has kicked at least one goal in every round this season (the only player to have done so). Hogan had also kicked at least one goal every round -up until Queen's Birthday
Hogan kicked two early goals before Blicavs switched onto him. Hogan kicked his 3rd goal in the last quarter when Blicavs was on the bench having a spell. Hope that clears things up.

He's played as a FB the entire year and conceded 3 goals. Stats are stats mate.

Hogan kicked two early goals before Blicavs switched onto him. Hogan kicked his 3rd goal in the last quarter when Blicavs was on the bench having a spell. Hope that clears things up.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting that stat from?

LOL -cherry picking at it's finest!

...apart from the time he's on the bench. Stats show he does his best work when he's on the bench -he's conceded zero goals to opponents during that time!

LOL -cherry picking at it's finest!

...apart from the time he's on the bench. Stats show he does his best work when he's on the bench -he's conceded zero goals to opponents during that time!
Take your angst up with Matthew Lloyd.

B: Tom Jonas (PORT) - Daniel Talia (ADE) - Tom Stewart (GEE)
HB: Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Robbie Tarrant (NME) - Rory Laird (ADE)
C: Andrew Gaff (WCE) - Tom Mitchell (HAW) - Jack Macrae (WB)
HF: Josh Caddy (RICH) - Jack Darling (WCE) - Robbie Gray (PORT)
F: Jesse Hogan (MEL) - Ben Brown (NME) - Luke Bruest (HAW)
R: Max Gawn (MEL) - Nat Fyfe (FRE) - Clayton Oliver (MEL)
I: - Brodie Grundy (COLL) - Trent Cotchin (RICH) - Patrick Cripps (CARL) - Bryce Gibbs (ADE)

I don't really want to make any changes here. Rance may replace Talia soon, Jonas still consistent, Gibbs saves his spot barely, Higgins very close, Phillips making a run, Sicily still in the hunt, Sidebottom unlucky, Bruest on the edge, Ablett should average 37 and 3 from this point forward, so I'll need to slot him in. Really even season for talent IMO.

B: Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE)
HB: Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE)
I: - Brodie Grundy (COLL) - Trent Cotchin (RICH) - Patrick Cripps (CARL) - Bryce Gibbs (ADE)

Obviously Blicavs is in the team, but it's been pointed out to me he doesn't play full back. Geelong also have the best defence, which nobody will shut the * up about, so this was my only option.

Feeling the cats are entering Melbourne territory prior to queens birthday game.

Beating up on a combo of crap teams/games in geelong, sees people forget that they lost badly to essendon 4 weeks ago...
This isn't the top 4 thread.

Stay on topic please.

B: Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE)
HB: Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE) - Mark Blicavs (GEE)

Obviously Blicavs is in the team, but it's been pointed out to me he doesn't play full back. Geelong also have the best defence, which nobody will shut the **** up about, so this was my only option.
Blicavs stiff not to be on the bench too. Very versatile player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back