Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Might be a dumb question but what are metres gained? How is that stat measured?

Is it how much ground a player covers through running or the collective distance of all their disposals?
It’s forward progress due to carry and disposals.

Fortunately for accumulators *cough* Mitchell *cough* it doesn’t deduct meters for backwards kicks

But, to me, it's useless.

Would've thought most value is in pressure.

The most useful stat is whether a possession makes your team more likely to score.

Which is very hard to measure, but it’s what the AFL player ratings try to do.

Metres gained is a useful heuristic, because generally the closer the ball is to your goal, the more likely you are to score next.

The most useful stat is whether a possession makes your team more likely to score.

Which is very hard to measure, but it’s what the AFL player ratings try to do.

Metres gained is a useful heuristic, because generally the closer the ball is to your goal, the more likely you are to score next.

Isn't the obvious combination metres gained plus disposal efficiency (all alternatively next possession)

In terms of outside footballers thats what you are after.

Inside footballers its got to be possessions

Key position players its got to be proportion of one on ones won really

Isn't the obvious combination metres gained plus disposal efficiency (all alternatively next possession)

In terms of outside footballers thats what you are after.

Inside footballers its got to be possessions

Key position players its got to be proportion of one on ones won really

Was just about to say I’d like to see an effective metres gained stat. Not much good gaining metres to a turnover.

I am sure it exists if you pay for champion data.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florent is quickly becoming a major reason to get excited for swans games. Obviously parker and hanners were guns in their early years, but i cannot remember two more exciting prospects in florent and haywood in a long time
Salt and Pepper are the only duo that comes to mind for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back