Best 22 Non All Australians

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

After the recent Daniel Bradshaw thread, it got me thinking about who are the best players not to be All Australian? Thought it might be interesting to put together a 22.

The rules:
  • AFL era only as the Carnival, etc. era saw lots of quality players miss out, particularly when they were doing it several years apart.
  • No young guns aged 25 or under as they are likely on the path to winning AA - players like Cripps, B.Brown, Oliver, Neale, etc.
The team:

B: Kade Simpson, Simon Prestigiacomo, Ben Stratton
HB: Tyson Edwards, Mal Michael, John Worsfold
C: Steele Sidebottom, Joe Misiti, Callan Ward
HF: Peter Burgoyne, Scott Lucas, Taylor Walker
F: Daniel Bradshaw, John Longmire, Darren Bewick
R: Sam Jacobs, Brad Sewell, Nathan Jones
I: Daniel Wells, Isaac Smith, Jack Steven, Jeremy Howe

So, who did I miss? (thrown together quickly - surely there are players better than that bench?)
Hawthorn selections biased?
How would a team with no elite stars but plenty of next level talent fare? Premiers? Multiple flags? Fall short?
Finally, who are your top 3 players never to be AA?

Note: Tried to aim for a a fairly balanced side - bringing in the likes of Bewick instead of another taller player like Gunston/Darling, etc.
John Longmire was never all australian?

He won the coleman one year didnt he?

wowee

Russell Robertson.

Kicked 73 goals in 2005 and came runner up in the Coleman.

Brad Green 2010. Avg almost 20 touches a game and kicked 55 goals

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Further to this, here's a best 22 of non-Australians.

B Alipate Carlile -- Mal Michael -- Paul Vinar
HB Zach Tuohy -- Val Perovic -- Tadgh Kennelly
C Pearce Hanley -- Jose Romero -- Mil Hanna
HF Shane Savage -- Trent Croad -- David Rodan
F Clive Waterhouse -- Ian Perrie -- Stephen Lawrence
Fo Jim Stynes -- Alex Jesaulenko -- Wayne Schwass
IC Robbert Klomp, Mike Pyke, Jason Johannisen, Aaron Edwards
Missing Peter Bell, adopted from South Korea.

I don't rate Josh Hunt at all - don't think he would be anywhere near that side.
Guerra is a personal favourite of mine (underrated in our good years) but similarly don't think he would be close.

They are such similar footballers, you could swap the names and make the exact same point.

It's amazing what the colours a bloke is wearing can do to judgement.

Not only does Heath Grundy never get an AA nomination, not even in the squad let alone the final team, he doesn't even make the team of players who haven't ever made the team? Is there are a more underrated player around?

Should definitely be taking one of the key defensive positions.

Very under-rated for mine.

Sidebottom won't be in the team by the end of the year.

Pretty surprised K. Simpson or Stratton have never gotten AA honours...

I was laughed out of a Facebook discussion once for suggesting Ben Stratton may have been stiff to have never even received an AA nomination. Glad to see some people here understand his importance throughout our golden era.

Nathan Jones, Peter Burgoyne, and Mal Michael are the most stiffest IMHO in that list.

They were all consistent, and had good long careers. Others had more moments for me.

Lucas and Jacobs had stiff competition. Walker had an injury at the worst time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark "shotgun" Williams

2004 - 33 goals
2005 - 63 goals
2006 - 60 goals
2008 - 43 goals

In every other season he played 13 games or less.

It's a shame we never got to see more of the 2008 version. A bit like LeCras he was a 60+ goalkicker playing as a deep forward then moved up the ground and got more of the ball but kicked fewer goals to accommodate a gun key forward or two. Leading goalkicker in the 2008 GF but rarely gets a mention when that game is brought up.

They are such similar footballers, you could swap the names and make the exact same point.

It's amazing what the colours a bloke is wearing can do to judgement.

I think I essentially made that point to begin with. I mentioned they are both similar and not close to the side, despite me having a 'soft spot' for the one from my club that contributed to the joy I experienced as a supporter. With that said, however, one (maybe unfair?) point of difference is that Hunt is remembered for pulling out of a couple of contests/avoiding contact (despite becoming the biggest bloke on the field to the detriment of other attributes) whilst Guerra was Hawthorn's hardest player at the ball and man and never took a backward step.

Probably unfair on Hunt though as it probably was only a couple of incidents over a long career.

John Longmire was never all australian?

He won the coleman one year didnt he?

wowee

Yes. Longmire won the Coleman at just 19 years of age in '90, kicking 98 goals in the home and away season (unlucky not to kick the ton after kicking 2.8 in the final round). He also won the B&F that year.

However, no AA team was selected in 1990 - only done every year from 1991 when Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett Snr monopolised selection.

Despite retiring early due to injury at 28 and playing half his career in defence/ruck, Longmire kicked over 500 goals and formed a formidable partnership with Carey. Unlucky not to be AA - was quality.

Russell Robertson.

Kicked 73 goals in 2005 and came runner up in the Coleman.

Brad Green 2010. Avg almost 20 touches a game and kicked 55 goals

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Two very stiff selections

Green and Bruce were two that should have got a gig atleast one year.

That Melbourne team had some absolute guns.

I think I essentially made that point to begin with. I mentioned they are both similar and not close to the side, despite me having a 'soft spot' for the one from my club that contributed to the joy I experienced as a supporter. With that said, however, one (maybe unfair?) point of difference is that Hunt is remembered for pulling out of a couple of contests/avoiding contact (despite becoming the biggest bloke on the field to the detriment of other attributes) whilst Guerra was Hawthorn's hardest player at the ball and man and never took a backward step.

Probably unfair on Hunt though as it probably was only a couple of incidents over a long career.

It was 1 major one, and I think there was another one too.

He's also probably not rated by Hawk fans due to his absolute disaster of a game in the 2013 Pre-lim. I firmly believe he doesn't play, we win.

Before 2013, he was a solid, yet unspectacular small defender, who could do a job, and rebound well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back