• Draw

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUMMARY
Prepare for an arm wrestle. The competition's two stingiest sides lock horns in a standout clash, both having plenty to prove. Geelong will be looking to make amends from the previous meeting between the sides in last year's qualifying final, when they were suffocated by the Tigers' pressure. The Cats have taken a leaf out of the Tigers' book from that night when they managed just five goals, conceding an average of 66.7 points per game this season. However, the ability to do it against the Tigers and defend the MCG is another challenge in itself. In round eight, the Cats held Collingwood to five goals; six days later they were caught napping against the Bombers, who piled on 12 majors. The Tigers return from their third interstate trip this season with their third loss, and will be keen to show their midfield is deep enough to contend with the Cats. Last week, Port Adelaide's Ollie Wines, Sam Powell-Pepper, Tom Rockliff and Chad Wingard got the better of the clearance battle, while the ruck division was stretched beyond Toby Nankervis.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Sunday, June 17, 3.20pm AEST

TV AND RADIO: Click here for broadcast guide

LAST FIVE TIMES
QF, 2017: Richmond 13.13 (91) d Geelong 5.10 (40) at the MCG
R21, 2017: Geelong 11.14 (80) d Richmond 9.12 (66) at GMHBA Stadium
R21, 2016: Geelong 10.22 (82) d Richmond 12.6 (78) at the MCG
R5, 2015: Geelong 12.13 (85) d Richmond 11.10 (76) at the MCG
R7, 2014: Geelong 11.15 (81) d Richmond 12.4 (76) at the MCG

THE SIX POINTS
1. Gary Ablett wound back the clock last week with 34 disposals (16 contested), eight tackles and a goal in the Cats' win over North Melbourne. Ablett has hit the scoreboard in all nine of his matches against the Tigers as a Cat.

2. Richmond's win in last year's qualifying final was the club's first over Geelong since 2006; the Cats had won 13 straight contests from 2007-17. The Tigers haven't won consecutive clashes with the Cats since 1999-2000.

3. Richmond will be looking to gain an advantage in the centre clearance battle, with a clear discrepancy between the two sides. A big difference could be in the middle; the Tigers are third in centre clearances averaging 13.3, while the Cats are last with an average of 9.6.

4. These two sides have met 42 times at the MCG, with Geelong winning 23 games to 19, including eight of the last nine. The Cats are two wins from four games at the venue this season.

5. A win for the Tigers would see them move to within one game of Melbourne's all-time record of consecutive wins at the MCG. The Demons notched 17 victories from 1955-1956. The Tigers have won their past 15 encounters at the ground, dating back to round 14 last year.

6. Shane Edwards' rise up the Schick AFL Player Ratings continues, with the midfielder/forward now ranked 38th in the competition and fourth at Richmond behind Dustin Martin, Alex Rance and Trent Cotchin. This time last year, he sat at 101.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
A streak of nine games with a goal came to an end last week for Josh Caddy. The former Cat was used in the ruck to start the final term against the Power, and will be hoping for more time in attack against his former side to continue a start to the year that has netted 27 majors.

PREDICTION: Richmond by 13 points.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/13/geel-v-rich

Astbury is a big out today but garthwaite is ready for this challenge, good luck to the young fella. with the cattle around him he will be confident.
Tigers by 27. to quick and this; A big difference could be in the middle; the Tigers are third in centre clearances averaging 13.3, while the Cats are last with an average of 9.6.
Looking forward to a good contest.

Astbury is a big out today but garthwaite is ready for this challenge, good luck to the young fella. with the cattle around him he will be confident.
Tigers by 27. to quick and this; A big difference could be in the middle; the Tigers are third in centre clearances averaging 13.3, while the Cats are last with an average of 9.6.
Looking forward to a good contest.
Raw clearance numbers are a misleading stat. Winning 13 centre clearances out of 25 is worse than winning 9 out of 12, for example. Rather see a differential numbers.

fair enough.
I think we will win it in the guts regardless.
I'd love to know exactly how their calculated. I think it's first hands on the ball. Often the stat doesn't relate to what my eyes tell me. I honestly dont think it takes outside defence into account as a clearance stat, but would give the clearance to the team with first possession and then a turnover if the handball was intercepted for example. Although some teams might tactically put priority on guarding the first handball out.

I'd love to know exactly how their calculated. I think it's first hands on the ball. Often the stat doesn't relate to what my eyes tell me. I honestly dont think it takes outside defence into account as a clearance stat, but would give the clearance to the team with first possession and then a turnover if the handball was intercepted for example. Although some teams might tactically put priority on guarding the first handball out.
yeh not sure but maybe first effective disposal forward?
to me it is the team who gets the pill and pump it forward.
first hands are necessary but if you get them then tackled there is no clearance.

yeh not sure but maybe first effective disposal forward?
to me it is the team who gets the pill and pump it forward.
first hands are necessary but if you get them then tackled there is no clearance.
Yeah, I'd agree.
I just have the sense that the Cats clearances are better than the stats suggest. In our game against the Cats the stats suggested we were good but I didn't notice the ball coming out our way much.
We were flogged in the air so maybe it's perception.

I think the Tigers pressure around the ball might be the difference though. A Cats win would change the pecking order a bit to me. Much like the Pies whooping the Demons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And no V/Line from Geelong either...

Terrible considering it’s a cats home game (yup I said it)

But it basically leaves cats fans no real option of getting to the game I know we can’t help the weather but they really messed up the timing for this game Even without the train ant car park fiasco being a Sunday afternoon

Even when the fixture was made it was a pretty easy assumption assuming these two teams would be top 8 and with the elimination final of last year it could of been a real spectacle for fans of both clubs coming out in force if it was a Saturday arvo or night because no need to worry about work or school the next day

Terrible considering it’s a cats home game (yup I said it)

But it basically leaves cats fans no real option of getting to the game I know we can’t help the weather but they really messed up the timing for this game Even without the train ant car park fiasco being a Sunday afternoon

Even when the fixture was made it was a pretty easy assumption assuming these two teams would be top 8 and with the elimination final of last year it could of been a real spectacle for fans of both clubs coming out in force if it was a Saturday arvo or night because no need to worry about work or school the next day
Vline trains are running Geelong to Melbourne as we speak. Arvo games certainly suit Geelong residents much better than Fri or Sat night games.

V/Line isn't the one that is disrupted. From what I know, instead of catching a V/Line from Richmond to Geelong after the game (which I didn't even know was a thing), you'd need to catch the Waurn Ponds/South Geelong line from Southern Cross station.

Also, instead of going to Jolimont you'd go to Richmond station and walk to the MCG. Fairly minor disruptions.

it's like a ten minute walk from Flinders St to the MCG ffs. i get it if you are infirm, elderly or disabled, but otherwise how petty to complain about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back