Best Airline/Worst Airline flown.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I think you can't beat the big Asian carriers like Sing and Cathay. Qantas has good lounges and showers and good entertainment.... but terrible food. Virgin has good service but weak network. The airlines in the US are just pitched so much lower but Delta is my pick.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
I’ve found Turkish Airlines and Oman Airlines have the best food and I’d go as far as saying Oman has close to the best business class fullstop closely followed by Virgin. I used to love Etihad and Emirates but both have dropped the ball in the last few years. My banned list consists of Jetstar and I’ll also not fly Qantas unless it’s absolutely necessary

Best:
Emirates - service and amenities are top-class, business class is a whole different level
Finnair - aesthetic, spacious, comfortable design

Worst:
Vueling - foruntate enough not to have experienced terrible airlines so this isn't really a knock on them, just minimal leg space

Marmik

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
R.Federer, M.Verstappen, ChelseaFC
I’ve found Turkish Airlines and Oman Airlines have the best food and I’d go as far as saying Oman has close to the best business class fullstop closely followed by Virgin. I used to love Etihad and Emirates but both have dropped the ball in the last few years. My banned list consists of Jetstar and I’ll also not fly Qantas unless it’s absolutely necessary

I'm flying with Oman air soon, looking forward to it now. First leg is operated by Etihad though.

Best for me: Qatar airways, everything was just a pleasure, couldn't find a fault.
Worst: Can't remember the name but it was some sketchy flight from Laos to Cambodia. My food was all sorts of ****ed up. Inedible.

Consistently good: Singapore Airlines. Good food, good service (always helpful), on board entertainment is good, stopover at Changi airport is always fantastic.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Best:
Emirates - service and amenities are top-class, business class is a whole different level
Finnair - aesthetic, spacious, comfortable design

Worst:
Vueling - foruntate enough not to have experienced terrible airlines so this isn't really a knock on them, just minimal leg space
Have noticed Emirates business has been slipping in terms of standard and benefits. We have a trip to Europe in a few weeks time with them and if things have slipped further we would consider our options going forward. Booked as an award flight so that’s one positive

Leper

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2004
E106o44' S06o17'
AFL Club
Richmond
Best by a country mile:

Singapore. Was fortunate enough to get a consulting gig in Africa for a few visits with business class flights to Paris en route. You know a flight is great when you're actually disappointed when they announce that we're about to descend.

Worst by a similar distance:

Merpati in Indonesia. The saying "it's merpati and I'll fly if I want to" was there for a reason. I had the pleasure of a monthly trip to West Papua (Irian Jaya) for a year and a half in the mid '00s and they were the only option for much of that.

Leper

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2004
E106o44' S06o17'
AFL Club
Richmond
Give me Air France any day.

Charles De Gaulle airport is one of the worst airports in the world though.

It is hey. It's like it was built in Russia at the height of the Cold War. All grey and concrete with bigger all to do. Odd for a city which values style and architecture so highly.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Actually Berlin's Tegal airport would also give it a run for it's money and Air Berlin were also a s**t tier airline as well

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Give me Air France any day.

Charles De Gaulle airport is one of the worst airports in the world though.
Every time I've flown with Air France, I feel like the pilot is flying a rock through space. Some of the landings have been truly bone jarring and frightening.

Lets not forget the pilot that crashed the brand new A320-111 on display at an airshow back in 1988 - Yep, he was a French pilot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

Give me a Somalian pirate pilot any day of the week over a French pilot. Let's not forget the idiot French pilot that crashed flight 447 from Rio to Paris because he put the plane in a stall and didn't even realise it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Watch the Air Crash Investigation episode on the flight. The pitot tubes froze over, which was a known malfunction and the manufacturer had issued instructions for dealing with it, and the instruction was to simply take manual control and fly level until they cleared. Except this bright spark, took control and increased nose-up angle of attack and maintained it until the plane crashed. While the other pilots tried to correct the pitch and entered other inputs, the idiot didn't release controls and maintained the nose-up angle.

Once again, give me a sweat shop slave labour kid over a French pilot any day of the week.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Once again, give me a sweat shop slave labour kid over a French pilot any day of the week.

If you're panning Air France due to their safety record Tiger Airways is probably the worst Australian airline to compare it with. Horrible safety record.

Last edited:

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Worst Virgin in Australia my knees were up near my ears
Worst OS Vietjet same deal smallest leg room on earth,lucky they gave us an exit seat and there was only 2 of us in the row but knees were touching the seats infront of us,1 hour flight made it ok
Best Air Asia Biz Qantas Biz and Sing 2 4 2 configurations in a 2 with my wife

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Best: Qatar

Worst: Royal Jordanian or Air Asia. I remember Air Asia was just ******* terrible, tiny, hard seats, had 2x tickets connecting at KUL and wouldn't put my bags through (which is kinda standard, but had a 10 hour stop in KUL with all my luggage). Royal Jordanian at least tried to be serivceable but their planes were just ridiculously old and dusty. Food was gross too.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Best: Qatar

Worst: Royal Jordanian or Air Asia. I remember Air Asia was just ******* terrible, tiny, hard seats, had 2x tickets connecting at KUL and wouldn't put my bags through (which is kinda standard, but had a 10 hour stop in KUL with all my luggage). Royal Jordanian at least tried to be serivceable but their planes were just ridiculously old and dusty. Food was gross too.
How long ago was the RJ flights and on what type of aircraft?
Disappointing to hear that as I’ve done a couple of flights with them and thought they were very good.

Back