Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 18 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

The failure to mention our injuries across all media is quite staggering really. I had SEN on today and was listening to Andy Maher and Nick Dal Santo talk about the game. Said Richmond have plenty of upside and Geelong just weren't good enough. They proceeded to talk about who Richmond have to come back in the side to make them better. No mention of who we were missing. They then went on to pump up West Coast saying they got close to Sydney despite missing 2 best 22 players.
Good.. let them.. we have work to do and being the hunter is fine by me.

Credit this year is earned and we are not there.... yet.

Go Catters

I indicated that if we have to lose one then that was it as I have thought all year we are ‘building’ unlike last two years where we start off with a bang and go out with a whimper in the finals.

Just on the media and lloyds slight hyperbole about ability to beat Richmond-he was talking us up a week ago-so I take it we aren’t the fairytale.

Had we won it would have been over the top crap so prefer us to win after the bye, knock of syd and later the tigers as we look to build momentum into the finals with constant doubts about us. As long as we beat the tigers next time.

Also its getting onto to the end of the first four weeks since Esava had his operation so be interesting to see how its comes out of this first phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely no chance at this stage. He hasn't even been Richmond's best midfielder (Cotchin and probably Edwards have both been better).
Since when has that stopped umpires voting for their favourites?

Since when has that stopped umpires voting for their favourites?

Care to name an actual example though? The most egregious one I can recall was Matera in 1994 but thankfully he didn't win it. Just because fans are paranoid and obsessed doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Martin will get votes for kicking 6 against Brisbane (and fair enough), but otherwise much Dangerfield for us this year his form has been solid without being brilliant. I don't think either are going near it unless something changes. Cotchin I'm expecting to get a lot more than Martin and I think Ablett and perhaps Selwood will get more than Dangerfield.

GEELONG v RICHMOND
9 Nick Vlastuin (RICH)
7 Alex Rance (RICH)
6 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
3 Kane Lambert (RICH)
3 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Daniel Rioli (RICH)
1 Shane Edwards (RICH)

Can't see too much wrong with that. Thought Selwood and Stanley were clearly our two best. Grimes might have been a little stiff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive from the game, I am confident that Cunico will now make it. Was solid in a very hot game. Good find, great runner and is a classic 75 meter run and long kick player. He is the surprise packet for me this year.

Agreed, 19 touches @ 79% efficiency under Richmond’s pressure isn’t bad at all!

Care to name an actual example though? The most egregious one I can recall was Matera in 1994 but thankfully he didn't win it. Just because fans are paranoid and obsessed doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Martin will get votes for kicking 6 against Brisbane (and fair enough), but otherwise much Dangerfield for us this year his form has been solid without being brilliant. I don't think either are going near it unless something changes. Cotchin I'm expecting to get a lot more than Martin and I think Ablett and perhaps Selwood will get more than Dangerfield.

Never said that Martin will win - just wouldn't be surprised to see him poll well again and gather 1 vote when maybe he wasn't really in the best players or get 2 votes instead of 1 type thing - it does happen in matches where umpires can judge a players performance more favorably then the performance is judged externally, especially for those players who have been AFL favorites

An example of that is in 2008 Adam Goodes picked up 2 votes against Geelong in the round 5 match - we won by 42 points and Goodes output that day was 14 disposals, 4 behinds, 5 tackles & 5 hitouts. He wasn't the best player for the Swans let alone the second best player for the match, yet he somehow got 2 votes. To be honest, the votes for that match really make no sense other than Ablett getting 3 votes - Johnson & Stokes with 20 disposals & 4 goals each, Bartel with 10 disposals, 2 goals & 10 tackles all missed out on votes.

An example of that is in 2008 Adam Goodes picked up 2 votes against Geelong in the round 5 match - we won by 42 points and Goodes output that day was 14 disposals, 4 behinds, 5 tackles & 5 hitouts. He wasn't the best player for the Swans let alone the second best player for the match, yet he somehow got 2 votes. To be honest, the votes for that match really make no sense other than Ablett getting 3 votes - Johnson & Stokes with 20 disposals & 4 goals each, Bartel with 10 disposals, 2 goals & 10 tackles all missed out on votes.

Yep remember that vividly. Ling thrashed him. If people ever wonder why Goodes was regarded as an umpire's pet that game is example 1A.

We have been much better when we have had 4 small forwards up and going, but the way its looking, McCarthy isn't durable enough to rely on (nor is Nakia for that matter - I wince every time someone posts that he'll come back in and improve us), and Fogerty and Gregerson, while great pressure players, are very poor kicks for goal (limited to 40 metres and wayward.). I think we are still a dicey prospect unless one or two of Narkle and Myers can lift and prove to be durable in the seniors.

I actually thought it was a great game. I went there and witnessed a true arm wrestle. I understand that you have players to come back in and probably more than us but it's impossible to know how the chemistry of having those players in will affect the result.

I don't understand the hate between the two teams on BF because I have great discussions with my friends who follow Geelong. Some of it is true banter of course, and I have been involved in that, but overall we have two very good teams that played a great contested brand of footy. On this occasion we got on top. Another time and another day may have seen a different result.

Footy, I thought was the winner.

Piss off Lloydy. Was watching Footy Classified tonight and he was saying 9 times out of 10 Richmond will beat us. Basically saying we have no chance against them. We lost by 3 goals basically down to a few crucial errors halfway in the last quarter and McCarthy injured. We have

Henderson
Taylor
Menzel
Cockatoo
Guthrie
Scott Selwood

all to come back, plus Narkle as well and maybe Sav as a long shot if we make finals. We can beat those flogs next time. Lloyd and all the other doubters can get stuffed!
They
The failure to mention our injuries across all media is quite staggering really. I had SEN on today and was listening to Andy Maher and Nick Dal Santo talk about the game. Said Richmond have plenty of upside and Geelong just weren't good enough. They proceeded to talk about who Richmond have to come back in the side to make them better. No mention of who we were missing. They then went on to pump up West Coast saying they got close to Sydney despite missing 2 best 22 players.
Piss off Lloydy. Was watching Footy Classified tonight and he was saying 9 times out of 10 Richmond will beat us. Basically saying we have no chance against them. We lost by 3 goals basically down to a few crucial errors halfway in the last quarter and McCarthy injured. We have

Henderson
Taylor
Menzel
Cockatoo
Guthrie
Scott Selwood

all to come back, plus Narkle as well and maybe Sav as a long shot if we make finals. We can beat those flogs next time. Lloyd and all the other doubters can get stuffed!
They have pretty short memories, Richmond were beaten the week before.

Footy, I thought was the winner.

Agreed, considering it was tough conditions to play in I thought it was still a fantastic game to watch.

If we get those players back and they gel nicely, you get some of your players back, we play in dry conditions, then the next match we play against each other could be even better and I can’t wait!

The best commentary I have heard post game has been on Pure footy on SEN... we were closer than most are saying... It sounds like in their opinion ..some of the weaknesses exposed can be worked on.. conversion of chances was a key difference between sides ..

It was but only late. They missed some pretty gettable shots in the first quarter, and I actually think it's a weakness of theirs. Not many of their players (Reiwoldt and maybe Caddy aside) are really reliable in front of goal.

It was but only late. They missed some pretty gettable shots in the first quarter, and I actually think it's a weakness of theirs. Not many of their players (Reiwoldt and maybe Caddy aside) are really reliable in front of goal.

There were other observations...as is sop here.. only list the data that supports your believes or opinions...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back