Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 18 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

The stands weren't empty. People were pushed back undercover. The MCG was just under half full. I paid over $120 just to upgrade to good undercover seats as I have an away membership. Not many can afford to do that or pay to go to away games, especially after forking out money for a membership. The day was as bad as you could get leading up to the game too. Add the horrible time slot and even many Melcat supporters who would get in for free didn't attend.
Yes it was empty, 45k is a joke. Is it worth us handing you an extra home game essentially for 10k extra getting in.... mostly YOUR fans? Not at all. No way geelong made more from sunday than they would if the game was hosted at KP.

Geel can improve and Rich can improve with additions to their team

I didnt watch the game live - i watched a replay - thus i new the result - and i new the qtr by qtr scores

Looking at the Quarter time score - i thought Geel had a good 1st qtr - that wasnt the case when i watched it - Geelongs 1st 10-12 minutes was deplorable - the lack of intensity - and Richmond could have had 5-6 goals

From Quarter time - Richmond kicked 6 of the next 7 goals - and in my view - up to that point it had been all Richmond

Geel played a good 3rd qtr - i think it was 20 inside 50s to 9 - but the Geel forward line - like it has been for a good while - is hit and miss . And i thought the Cats played a reasonable last qtr - they had plenty of ball

Not being negative - and i hope im wrong ( there are alot of optomistic supporters - but im not one of them ) - i think the big problem for Geel - and as Paul Roos said last night ( not into respect of Geel ) that the most impressive thing about Rich - is their speed of ball movement - and just as Crows found out in the GF - i dont think Geel can handle that - eg the Essendon game

You have to post what you think will happen - not what you hope will happen - and i think on a fast dry surface - Richmond with their all over the ground - speed of play - speed of ball movement - will cut Geel to pieces .
Bit pessimistic for mine. They were very good first half of the first quarter and backline had to absorb a lot of forward flurries-but we were not deplorable-fought hard against the tide. And yep-castagna and Butler ( as a consequence of our silly error) should have goaled in that time period. Edwards set shot on goal as a consequence of a lovely, under no pressure pass from Ablett-always unlikely -too far out. And his rushed under pressure shot was also a 50-50 at best.
Second half of the quarter we looked the better team and Parfitt and Fogarty both should have also kicked easy goals.
So am calling that quarter even stevens. Then a couple of speedy runners did us in late in the game. Other than that we did ok given our flaws that can be worked on.
Reckon bigger problem is we will be hard pressed to finish top 4 so that makes it tough, but would rather face tigers at the G than WC in Perth, if it came to that.
Long way to go this season-plenty to happen between now and the finals.

Last edited:
Yes it was empty, 45k is a joke. Is it worth us handing you an extra home game essentially for 10k extra getting in.... mostly YOUR fans? Not at all. No way geelong made more from sunday than they would if the game was hosted at KP.
I am happy that they had MCG experience. I think it's a great balance this year of GMHBA and MCG games.

Firstly it was closer to 47k than 45k. You guys lost $330K. The scheduling was terrible and the weather was the worst it has been all year. I had a friend who also paid for upgraded tickets and decided not to go (with his kids) because of the weather. It did clear up a bit but by then people had already decided not to go.

May not even matter if we can't get there.
True, but it 100% matters if we do as we know that any finals match up against a Melbourne based club will be there. We don't need excuses, we need results. We didn't get it this time, but we definitely learned lessons.

Also the ? Club or MCC jacked up prices for this game. I went to the Collingwood away game on a Sunday this year and it cost me $82 for the two adults and two children upgrade. Same timeslot, different home team cost me $120. Go figure.

Also the ? Club or MCC jacked up prices for this game. I went to the Collingwood away game on a Sunday this year and it cost me $82 for the two adults and two children upgrade. Same timeslot, different home team cost me $120. Go figure.
Is the Round 20 rematch game better or worse for prices?

Is the Round 20 rematch game better or worse for prices?
I don't know because it will be our home game and we will get in for "free". The only way to tell is by going to ticketek when sales open and put your membership barcode in (only 16 game memberships of course) and seeing the prices then.

One of the few people to actually note our improvement is Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne. From SEN.com
I don’t know. I think most of the media has been far more acknowledging of the improvement than BF Geelong fans have. And my biased sample of water cooler conversations this week suggests people respect Geelong and still consider us a September player.

I don’t know. I think most of the media has been far more acknowledging of the improvement than BF Geelong fans have. And my biased sample of water cooler conversations this week suggests people respect Geelong and still consider us a September player.
Of course you are. Reading some of the posts here though, some of you are your own worst enemies.

Of course you are. Reading some of the posts here though, some of you are your own worst enemies.
Don’t hang around too long, it’ll start to depress you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being negative - and i hope im wrong ( there are alot of optomistic supporters - but im not one of them ) - i think the big problem for Geel - and as Paul Roos said last night ( not into respect of Geel ) that the most impressive thing about Rich - is their speed of ball movement - and just as Crows found out in the GF - i dont think Geel can handle that - eg the Essendon game

You have to post what you think will happen - not what you hope will happen - and i think on a fast dry surface - Richmond with their all over the ground - speed of play - speed of ball movement - will cut Geel to pieces .

Totally agree, one thing I noticed in the Richmond game and with North as well were the handballing skills in close were much better than us. When under pressure the Tigers were able to give off quick handballs and hit the targets while we have too many guys who just handball to space or miss targets.

Even with good players to come back we dont play well under pressure and guys like Menegola just dont give off good quick handballs in close.

Totally agree, one thing I noticed in the Richmond game and with North as well were the handballing skills in close were much better than us. When under pressure the Tigers were able to give off quick handballs and hit the targets while we have too many guys who just handball to space or miss targets.

Even with good players to come back we dont play well under pressure and guys like Menegola just dont give off good quick handballs in close.
Too many happy to dish off rather than make a decision..especially under increased pressure.

Tigers brought out the "handball it over your head if you get in trouble" manoeuvre and it seemed to work out....again.
The best way to beat Geelong is always have players out the back or wide of the contest and get the ball out quickly to them - we seem to play like AusKick at times where everyone goes to the ball or the pack of players leaving opposition players free

Oh its far worse on here than in the media thats for sure.

If you haven't even heard of your own Melbourne based supporter group, you can't be calling someone else stupid. As for free, I meant they are payed up members and so it doesn't cost them extra to go. People also tried to sit in undercover seats near me and were moved by security as they did not have a ticket for those seats.
My dear Richmond Supporter Melcats have not existed for at least twenty years, Metrocats which was the next group have not existed for at least ten years, so back in your box. And there were plenty of free seats undercover where I was standing

The best way to beat Geelong is always have players out the back or wide of the contest and get the ball out quickly to them - we seem to play like AusKick at times where everyone goes to the ball or the pack of players leaving opposition players free
How do you think we would have fared against the Pies outfit that smashed Melbourne? I sat there watching it just thinking, 'how on earth did we beat them?', and, 'there's no way we could have handled that form.'

Do you mean the goal to Caddy in the second quarter?

After Caddy kicked that goal, we were still in front. We were only 1 point behind at three quarter time. It had no bearing - none - on the result. I'd be a lot more concerned with the complete non-existence of our small forwards that are so hilariously overrated (McCarthy and Gregson for starters). Or by the fact that we're only 5-4 with Ablett, Selwood, and Dangerfield all playing.
Just making the point that stats are not a very good indication of how games are played. We play with the hand and plarey we have been dealt, so the team we had was the best we had. Try to put some context into what is happening.

My dear Richmond Supporter Melcats have not existed for at least twenty years, Metrocats which was the next group have not existed for at least ten years, so back in your box. And there were plenty of free seats undercover where I was standing
Why did you stand if there were free undercover seats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back