Sport The World Game

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost the only time I am prepared to watch live Soccer - an international tournament with Germany in it.

World cup tips? My hot take is Germany will play quite well.

Playing FM 2018 and came across a fun mod called "Long World Cup" which has an interesting format:

1st round - all 225 FIFA nations are put into groups of 15. Everyone plays each other in their pool once. Top 8 proceed to next round.
2nd round - 12 groups of 10. Teams play each other once. Top 6 of each group plus the next 8 best records advance.
3rd round - 10 groups of 8. Teams play each other once. Top 4 teams advance.
4th round - 10 groups of 4. Teams play each other once. Top 2 teams advance.
5th round - 10 knockout games. Winners advance.
6th round - 1 group of 10. Teams play each other once. Top 2 play in final.

Tournament goes from August to May.

In interests of fairness, they have 15 pots to work out the groups in the first stage. Top 15 ranked sides are in pot 1, next 15 best in pot 2, etc. In my group (I'm playing as manager of the Socceroos), I'm up against Germany, Tunisia, Nigeria, Honduras, Belarus, Faroe Islands, Malawi, Vietnam, India, Niger, Madagascar, Domenican Republic, Djibouti and Montserrat.

Although it's obviously not going to happen in real life, it would be interesting if it did. If we could beat American Samoa 31-0, imagine what would happen if they came up against someone like Germany or Brazil? :D

Some riveting match-ups on Matchday 1 for this Long World Cup:

Russia vs Palestine
Afghanistan vs Serbia
Tonga vs Iceland
Croatia vs Seychelles
Bhutan vs Argentina
South Sudan vs Brazil
Vanuatu vs Spain

Match of the round would either be Switzerland vs Holland or Sweden vs Ivory Coast.

I wasn't hit that hard by Geelong going down, but Germany losing to Mexico actually crushed my soul a little.

crazy that one of russia, croatia, sweden, switzerland, colombia or england will be in the WC final...

who is 'we' in your case?
England (after Australia bundled out...)
Have the luxury of both really comes to use by day 3 of the Ashes ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England (after Australia bundled out...)
Have the luxury of both really comes to use by day 3 of the Ashes ;)

im also an england supporter... my dad is a geordie, so i like your allegiance there too.

they couldnt have a better draw to reach the final, really. im hoping sterling can somehow find his city form, but thats unlikely. the major problem is that back 3 / 4. stones and walker can be a massive strength or an insurmountable weakness. hopefully we get the former from here.

tomorrow morning will be very interesting. colombia will pose a lot of problems, and their fast-paced forward play is the kind that walker and stones can sometimes struggle with.

there is not a single team in the tournament who hasnt looked shaky so far, so its wide open.

im also an england supporter... my dad is a geordie, so i like your allegiance there too.

they couldnt have a better draw to reach the final, really. im hoping sterling can somehow find his city form, but thats unlikely. the major problem is that back 3 / 4. stones and walker can be a massive strength or an insurmountable weakness. hopefully we get the former from here.

tomorrow morning will be very interesting. colombia will pose a lot of problems, and their fast-paced forward play is the kind that walker and stones can sometimes struggle with.

there is not a single team in the tournament who hasnt looked shaky so far, so its wide open.
Agree with that
But we do have a potent forwardline that can make goals happen

It's coming home

its still got a long way to go :)

they were far from fluent, but an excellent performance overall. very promising signs when they held their attacking nerve til the end against tunisia in G1, and not buckling this morning was, in context, quite remarkable.

this england side dont seem shuttered by expectations / pressure / history. contrast it to their whole team mental collapse v iceland at euro '16.

well worth the 3:45 alarm!

that and they have the most dangerous goal threat at the entire tournament... john stones!
God save our gracious Queen...

KDB is an absolute machine... and the amazing thing is he was possibly the least impressive of the belgium front 3 this morning!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back