The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Having finally got my "Wildcards" series up to date I have been reading the 11th book in the series "Dealers Choice". Rather depressing in some ways (You had better unjump "Mistral" you bastards !) which is probably why I am moving through it more slowly than usual.

I've just finished reading Jelena Dokic Unbreakable, it was a great read. I really feel for her. Her father was deranged and I learnt a lot about how the tennis circuit works coming through the juniors etc. I glad she has got her life back on track.

I've just finished reading Jelena Dokic Unbreakable, it was a great read. I really feel for her. Her father was deranged and I learnt a lot about how the tennis circuit works coming through the juniors etc. I glad she has got her life back on track.
I read this recently too. I just wish she'd been able to call for help a lot earlier but understand the close family ties/loyalty, language problems, hostility from other players, that she experienced. She was pretty much a lonely kid. Her mother was no use. But the fact that many years later, people were telling her they knew what she was going through, was a disgrace!

dont read anymore, but i listen to audio books, just finished the First Fleet by Rob Mundle, enjoyed it, didn't realise the first settlers had it so tough in the beginning

just started the Cold War: A World History

I’m the same, listen to audio books whilst out running it’s been revelatory for me. Best one I’ve recently listened to is Sapiens by Yuval Harari

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never really got into audiobooks. How do you guys go about listening to audiobooks?

Just download the audiobook files, put onto iTunes then load it onto your phone?
I use audible aswell, about $15 a month, you get a credit to choose any book from their library, they have a app to download and play their books.

Not a huge user of audiobooks but I have done them a couple of times on long car trips. I used the Overdrive app which lets you borrow from your local library if you have an account with them. Just browse then download. The files delete themselves after 2 weeks (or whatever the loan period is).

Not a huge user of audiobooks but I have done them a couple of times on long car trips. I used the Overdrive app which lets you borrow from your local library if you have an account with them. Just browse then download. The files delete themselves after 2 weeks (or whatever the loan period is).
Same here. I also use the Borrow Box app and CL (Cloud Library) app to borrow even more library books. Sometimes I have a book or two going on each app :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just finished “Strength and how to obtain it” by Eugen Sandow. If you want to know

a) how to obtain strength
b) how to grow big muss-cools
Don’t read this book.

If you want to
a) retrospectively buy Sandow’s products
b) retrospectively enrol in Sandow’s school
c) read a person talk themselves up
d) look at piktures of Sandow
This is the book for you

Nietzsche and Galton started a fad of self-love and arrogance which culminated in Hitler’s Nazi regime, and somewhere in the rise of this Narcissism there was an optimal moment of self-love, before the tipping point into the degeneracy and filth of Nazi Germany. This tipping point is illustrated in this early 20th century book. The arrogance isn’t detracting and actually enhances and embellishes the book in much the same way as Mark Twain would do to his stories... make them taller.

This early 20th century ideal is also reflected perfectly in the early 21st century, with the rise of reality TV and social media, and people obsessed with themselves, as well as enhancing or embellishing their physiques through Photoshop. Unfortunately this was cool in, like 2007, but is now regressive, coarse, and degenerate, and the tipping point passed at about the same time as the Global Financial Crisis. This behaviour has, through self reinforcement and random error, mutated into the brutal incestuous regime we live under now. With a self-obsessed Twit and former Reality TV host running the White House.

Sandow’s ideals were that of moderation, and cultivation and respect for one’s body, as once taught by Tiffiny Hall in the reality television The Biggest Loser; that our body’s are temples. It is going that next step, and stating that blonde Tiffany’s are the bauplan for a future master race that society degrades into an incestuous confederacy*. The seeds of this ideology are sowed in the revised edition, where Sandow notes that if everyone took up his physical culture schooling they will be improving the human race in much the same way as selecting cows for breeding. He also doesn’t mind recounting a story where a particular swarthy lad irks his white blood so much so he holds the lad over a 16 storey staircase to teach him a lesson.

There is no evidence that Sandow inspired one Austrian, but most definitely inspired a second, Schwarzenegger, who goes on to start the 21st Century obsession we live in now.

Anywho, comparing Sandow’s perspective on events with a newspaper’s perspective on events is enlightening. Sandow’s description of him wrestling a vigorous 570lb lion to submission is contrasted with the newspaper’s description of an old lion weighed down with chains, mittens, and mouth taped together, wagging his tail and rolling around with bemusement while Sandow molests it.

Highly recommend this book, four and a half stars out of five!

*It would be like a new line of Barbie dolls who all say the same s**t when you pull their cord

Last edited:
In the last few weeks;

The Music of Chance & Moon Palace by Paul Auster
Both very special books, top-tier Auster.

That Night by Andrew Peacock
In prep for the World Cup, was nice to travel back to the 2005 Socceroos qualification journey. Recommendable within the sports genre. Only the second soccer book I've read after Fever Pitch at the turn of the decade.

Currently reading Bleeding Edge. Very much in the vein of a Vineland or Inherent Vice, but early-mid 2001 in NYC. Pynchon never disappoints, always the hilarious, confidingly wacky junkie.

The Kite Runner, amazing book, gonna have to add the authors other books to my rather large backlog.
Will start The tattooist of Auschwitz when I’m finished either tomorrow or Friday.

The Kite Runner, amazing book, gonna have to add the authors other books to my rather large backlog.
Will start The tattooist of Auschwitz when I’m finished either tomorrow or Friday.
Read all of those, well worthwhile.

Recommend "Stasiland" by Anna Funder.

A while ago I also had a bit of a run with concentration camp books, "KL" by Nikolaus Wachsman was mind blowing. These things should never be forgotten.

Read all of those, well worthwhile.

Recommend "Stasiland" by Anna Funder.

A while ago I also had a bit of a run with concentration camp books, "KL" by Nikolaus Wachsman was mind blowing. These things should never be forgotten.
Jesus, watch The Kite Runner movie, one of the worst adaptations I’ve seen.
They left out some major parts of the story, granted it’s pretty full on but don’t do it if you’re not going to do it justice.
My mum finished The Tattooist on Tuesday, she really enjoyed it.
I’m really liking it so far, haven’t got that far in but so far so good.

The Subtle Art of not giving a *.

I think I like it, it makes sense that happiness comes through struggle. Reward means nothing emotionally unless it's earnt.

My Boss's wife does nothing but spend money and she is a miserable cow... My wife and I may have spent 10,000 euros in the last 6 days buying s**t for her that she thinks will make her happy. But she isnt. She has no struggle, has no hurdle to overcome.

It's overcoming our challenges that makes us happy. Not snaps on chat, or facebook. It's false.

Reading "The Other Side Of Dawn" by John Marsden. Ellie, the heroine , is doing it tough at the moment, but I still have a hundred and thirty odd paged to read so i.m sure she'll get out of her current predicament.

Put it aside for a few weeks due to work but ended up finishing Neal Stephenson's Seveneves. There's a big jump about 3/4 of the way through including a few things that you either buy or you don't, and I didn't. Still not a bad read overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back