Jeremy Cameron elbow on Harris Andrews

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie “The Kid” is 100% right in this case. People have gone into hysteria about this one. It looks bad at first glance. But watching the whole thing in context you start to realise Cameron got pushed by gardiner, got to the contest quicker than he thought he would and decided to protect himself first and foremost - albeit carelessly.
So he thought he was going to get there very late? If he was pushed and arrived earlier than expected, what was he trying to do. The ball was spoiled away while Cameron was half way between the grind and Gardiner
Your defence is he thought he would get there even later?

Interesting the Membrey act from last year was graded as careless. If that’s the case then Cameron’s can’t possibly be intentional. GWS will have the Membrey hit on repeat in the tribunal hearing I’d say

Michael Christian doesn't know what he is doing.

I personally believe this fits in the careless category, it's clearly in the contest, he turns his head and raises an arm to protect himself.

Should he get suspended, yes, was it intentional, no way, history tells us this is in the careless category.

But because the public has a whole weekend to be outraged it will be graded intentional, if it's not Fyfe will be sitting at home thinking wtf?

One thing that we no for certain, MRO is not consistent.

Pretty hard to be careful when you're talking about split second decisions, people need to realise it's a contact sport and accidents happen, i certainly didn't see any intent to hurt, was just accidental contact IMO.
I agree, after reading reports first I expected a late or behind the play hit, gees if your clever enough to make a split second decision to get someone’s chin while flying through the air that fast you’d be in law school or a drug kingpin! Should have kept his elbow down but it’s still an accident.

4 or 5 weeks.

My only defence for Cameron is it all happened very fast. It was one big contest. It could easily have just been a 50 m penalty if he hit anything other than the head.

In saying that, throw your Elbow around at full speed and not look at the ball, you a responsible for what happens. #redcard

Great play by the lion player. Eyes on the ball all the way.

I personally believe this fits in the careless category, it's clearly in the contest, he turns his head and raises an arm to protect himself.
Should he get suspended, yes, was it intentional, no way, history tells us this is in the careless category.
But because the public has a whole weekend to be outraged it will be graded intentional, if it's not Fyfe will be sitting at home thinking wtf?
:thumbsu:

So true, but they got that wrong!

As for looking away, the only time he wasnt looking at him was just before contact when he closed his eye!

4+ for a really poor effort!

View attachment 516644 View attachment 516645 View attachment 516646

First still shows he was jumping off the ground to attempt a chest mark.
Next still some idiot tries to be brave and hurls themselves into his path, whatever happens after this point a massive collision is going to ensue so Jeremy turns his body and braces for it. Lose/lose situation.

First still shows he was jumping off the ground to attempt a chest mark.
Next still some idiot tries to be brave and hurls themselves into his path, whatever happens after this point a massive collision is going to ensue so Jeremy turns his body and braces for it. Lose/lose situation.

Or you keep your eyes on the ball and try to mark it

So some on here seem quite happy for this to be viewed as not serious.

Question- If this exact same incident happened every weekend would that be fine?

It was just pure luck that Harris didn't have his jaw broken or worse, the footy equivalent of a coward punch IMO. You do not go into a contest with your elbow raised like that for protection, you tuck it in.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-23/analysis-star-giant-can-expect-fourweek-ban

No wonder Cameron keeps doing dumb stuff like this. He has fronted the tribunal 10 times before this and been found guilty on nine occassions. Some of it is pretty minor stuff but at some point the tribunal needs to crack down and get the message through to stop being a dick.

He has been suspended twice, once for one match and once for four matches. Along with that he has been fined $7,700 for six other offences and reprimanded once. That's $7,700 across seven seasons in which he has possibly earnt more than $4,000,000 (I'm guessing) from football alone.

Talk about hitting him with a limp lettuce leaf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did you get this nonsense from? Have a look at Leon's post match presser if you're in any doubt it's rubbish.

Surely if you've followed football long enough you would take what Leon Cameron said in public with a grain of salt.

Behind closed doors they would be fumimg.....

And if by the .00111111% chance that Leon Cameron actually likes that sort of thing from his players then he's a total ****wit.

great post, that puts any 'pushed in the back' defence out the window.

Cameron's arms shaping to match the trajectory of the ball would have saved him, but you just don't see it here, I don't see how you argue unintentional contact with player while going for the ball. It's just not in that footage.

no, it's a really bad one, 6 weeks to send a message to players (once again), but GWS so 4 weeks.

Cameron moving into the elbow action on basically the same frame that Gardiner apparently “shoved” him. One frame = 0.05 of a second.

If GWS want to try that argument, good luck to them.

Surely if you've followed football long enough you would take what Leon Cameron said in public with a grain of salt.

Behind closed doors they would be fumimg.....

And if by the .00111111% chance that Leon Cameron actually likes that sort of thing from his players then he's a total ****wit.
You prefer I believed the abusive ranting of a random internet poster?

I accept wly you wont understand why I wont. Nevertheless that's the way it will be.

The thing that stands out to me and speaks so poorly of his character is that he showed zero remorse or concern towards Andrews after he laid him out. He is a thug and deserves 8 weeks but he will cop a fine and GWS will get 3 draft picks next year to help them.

The thing that stands out to me and speaks so poorly of his character is that he showed zero remorse or concern towards Andrews after he laid him out. He is a thug and deserves 8 weeks but he will cop a fine and GWS will get 3 draft picks next year to help them.

Andrews was on the bench for just about a half, did Cameron never have a rest on the bench and see him sitting there?

You dont think a player being remonstrated with by Andrew's teamates should take the prudent step of staying away ? It's an emotionally charged time and no-one wants a melee over a body getting in the way of medical staff.

Last edited:
'I just went hard in the contest like they always tell you to', with ex-players in the media nodding in empathetic agreement.

This is the bigger issue behind this, thuggery dressed up as doing what you were coached to do since under 9s, and the strange camaraderie of ex-players constantly trying to get current players off (unless you are Lindsay Thomas or similar).

All members of the footy media have to start shouting this down with 'duty of care', enough is enough.

great post, that puts any 'pushed in the back' defence out the window.

Cameron's arms shaping to match the trajectory of the ball would have saved him, but you just don't see it here, I don't see how you argue unintentional contact with player while going for the ball. It's just not in that footage.

no, it's a really bad one, 6 weeks to send a message to players (once again), but GWS so 4 weeks.
Lol. A series of videos that actually cuts out the lions player giving Cameron the nudge in the back other than the front on vision which would be the worse possible angle of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back