Gary Rohan - I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

His stats are basically the same as Cyril Rioli’s.

Yet here we are talking about Rohan not being a best 22 player vs a player considered to be a star of the game.

I don’t get that...
I don't recall Rohan beating 2 players on the wing to turn a GF, in fact the only thing I remember about Rohan in GFs is kicking in to Hodge to seal the game in the 2nd quarter.

Sure he's no out and out gun, but in 16 and 17 he was averaging 1-2 goals a game, 10 touches and 4 marks. Far from elite but that bit of pace can help make things happen and can be seductive.
I imagine they've been trying to give him time for it to come together when he got a good run on, it just never quite happens.

He'll be moved along once they've got more players banging down the door behind him. Can't say the swannies haven't continued to bring new players through, they're one of the best at it. What i'm getting at is i'm not sure he's holding too many back.

Also everyone needs a ranga?
Agreed (Cough) Richards

For a player who is a regular in a team that is as strong as Sydney has been for the past 7 years, I don't understand how he continues getting regular games nor why he seems to be somewhat rated.

After 107 games, he averages per game

9.8 disposals
2.6 tackles
0.9 goals

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-29%20at%2010.37.47%20am.png

Can someone help me understand what I'm missing that has Rohan as a regular feature and seemingly a best 22 component of Sydney's list?

Is there any other player in the league who gets regular senior games who is even more mediocre than Rohan?

He must have a photo of a horse and a goat...... a very sore goat.

Nor do I.

He's inconsistent, injury-prone, awful in finals and frequently has little to no impact. He had a decent run of form a while ago - right when his contract was up, as I recall, but has done very little this season.

Speed isn't that useful when he runs straight into opponents, as he did twice last night.

To put it in perspective, the only Swans to play >80 games and average fewer possessions are Jolly, Carter and Lockett - all big, lumbering players who contributed much more in other ways.
Was surprised by that Jolly stat as I always thought he was the type that would go at like 15 disposals minimum on average. Was surprised at how little of the ball he actually won, even at Collingwood.

Yep, so right...

Rohan averages 9.9 touches, 3.3 marks, 2.6 tackles and 0.9 goals

Cyril averages 15.1 touches, 3.8 marks, 4.6 tackles and 1.5 goals

Still hurting over 2008 I see...

f4d209a8d390bd770e1c009e98df45a5
Love how you're all jizzing over yourselves for a player who averages 15 disposals...

The moral of the story here is cyril and rohan are unique, crazy talent and athleticism yet struggle to find the ball, although when they do they can have more impact than anyone else on the field. Seen cyril get 5 goals from 7 possessions countless times, and have seen rohan win games off his own boot with 5 touches.

Sometimes you need someone to break a game open when things aren't going your way and rohan does that. He's been the catalyst in close games or the 3-4 goal forward option in wins multiple times. In this day and age day where goals are hard to come by (and swans supporters should be very familiar with this every time we get choked out) that a 9 posession game where rohan scores 2 is huge. All we needed was 1 posession from him in the final qtr against richmond (which he has done before) where he breaks open the midfield and streams in to put us infront. No one else in the team is capable of doing that.

I personally think we should play him out of the square, he's owned the forward line with his speed and marking before, just stick him in there when he struggles to find it

Love how you're all jizzing over yourselves for a player who averages 15 disposals...

The moral of the story here is cyril and rohan are unique, crazy talent and athleticism yet struggle to find the ball, although when they do they can have more impact than anyone else on the field. Seen cyril get 5 goals from 7 possessions countless times, and have seen rohan win games off his own boot with 5 touches.

Sometimes you need someone to break a game open when things aren't going your way and rohan does that. He's been the catalyst in close games or the 3-4 goal forward option in wins multiple times. In this day and age day where goals are hard to come by (and swans supporters should be very familiar with this every time we get choked out) that a 9 posession game where rohan scores 2 is huge. All we needed was 1 posession from him in the final qtr against richmond (which he has done before) where he breaks open the midfield and streams in to put us infront. No one else in the team is capable of doing that.

I personally think we should play him out of the square, he's owned the forward line with his speed and marking before, just stick him in there when he struggles to find it

Gary Rohan "owned a forward line" with his top goal scoring years being 25 in 2016 and 22 in 2017. The rest are sub 20. You are trolling surely.

Cyril says hi with 47, 42, 39...

Rohan's a spud and not worthy of comparison to Puopolo, let alone Breust, Gunston or Cyril as a forward.

This should help you through the day though...

F2D_800.jpg

Gary Rohan "owned a forward line" with his top goal scoring years being 25 in 2016 and 22 in 2017. The rest are sub 20. You are trolling surely.

Cyril says hi with 47, 42, 39...

Rohan's a spud and not worthy of comparison to Puopolo, let alone Breust, Gunston or Cyril as a forward.

This should help you through the day though...

F2D_800.jpg
25 goals as a midfielder you banana, absolute goose. He has never been a forward, Horse had him playing out of the goal square only ever a few times for portions of the game, and when he did yes he did own it, he left his defender embarrassed. every time he has been played mostly forward in a game he's ended up with 3+

It's the Cyril effect. He has "x factor" and applies great "defensive pressure" but doesn't actually do anything at all.

His stats are basically the same as Cyril Rioli’s.

Yet here we are talking about Rohan not being a best 22 player vs a player considered to be a star of the game.

I don’t get that...

Using your logic...........

Rohan's stats are basically the same as Gary Ablett Jr's.

I don’t get that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 goals as a midfielder you banana, absolute goose. He has never been a forward, Horse had him playing out of the goal square only ever a few times for portions of the game, and when he did yes he did own it, he left his defender embarrassed. every time he has been played mostly forward in a game he's ended up with 3+

Lol... so “as a midfielder” you are happy with 11 possesions a game??

Yes we all know that mate, go back and read what I was replying to.......

Ha ha sorry :p

Don’t get me wrong I wish he went better, like the guy, he has the odd moment (I know other fans don’t rate him at all)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back